Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 11, 2012   #1
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Default 225689 purple

One of my favorite from a landscape plant aspect. medium sized very compact with numerous flowering points. If no other diploids are near it, it will not fruit and would hold it's flowers for WEEKS putting on a grand display from mid june to frost.

wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The variety is descended in part from the Colorada Legitima variety of S. phurja potato clones collected in Colombia around the 10,000 ft. elevation. It was grown, or more correctly, indigenously cultivated prior to 1948. The clone Wingnut has was selected out of many seedlings for having unique flesh color. Any seed produced will be necessarily hybrid since it cannot self itself. That is OK, I want the diversity of what comes about...any diploid in the area to provide pollen will be good since those have been selected for unique flesh colors as well. Hopefully the hybrid TPS will possess superior dormancy features...it will need it. S. phureja potatoes in Colombia are meant to be grown year around with little to absolutely no dormancy. That allows them to eat them immediately and plant the rest for the next crop.

Our job is to cherry pick seedlings with superior traits for Washington and elsewhere in the higher latitudes
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

This was one of the varieties that stayed real nice all the way to planting. I will cross it with the stenatomum reds to try to increase the dormancy even further. i will post a pic later, but the tubers are black with flourescent yellow interior, that is EXCELLENT as a baked potato.
Old July 18, 2012   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

What are you expecting in the way of tubers Doug??

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2012   #5
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

they are a round black tuber with bright yellow flesh with purple patterning. Most have been golf ball sized.They have a very floury texture purrrrrfect for baked taters with sourcream, butter, and bacon bits!
Old July 18, 2012   #6
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Richard, PM me your address I will send you some seed from this and some other tasty diploids!
Old July 18, 2012   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

OK thanks Doug i like the sound of bacon bits

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote