Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 22, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is no pepper too thick to dry.
It all depends on the environment.
Look at the so called paprika type peppers.
One thing a person can do is to cut a slit in each one this helps out a lot.
There are some places you simply cannot dry a pepper without help and that is in constantly humid areas it just isn't going to happen without help in one way or another.
When I was on the gulf coast I had to put them in the oven on warm all day with the door cracked open.

In Idaho in the dry high altitudes I see no reason a person couldn't hang them up in a ristra and dry them.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There is no pepper too thick to dry.
It all depends on the environment.
Look at the so called paprika type peppers.
One thing a person can do is to cut a slit in each one this helps out a lot.
There are some places you simply cannot dry a pepper without help and that is in constantly humid areas it just isn't going to happen without help in one way or another.
When I was on the gulf coast I had to put them in the oven on warm all day with the door cracked open.

In Idaho in the dry high altitudes I see no reason a person couldn't hang them up in a ristra and dry them.
Technically that is correct but in practice might not be the case.
The longer it takes to get dry, the higher the chances of rotting and growing mold.It has happened with Habanero, with me, many times.
But if you have a good dehydrator it can make the job easier. I like to get one (at reasonable cost !) that I can set my own temperature. Last year I bought one from WM. It was more like a cooker than dehydrator. I returned it.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

What I think you all are talking about is drying them on a ristra or something similar? For me, it's too humid here to do that and expect a high percentage to actually dry and not mold first. I have a setup for drying peppers on a ristra, and it is fun, but being that it is too humid here - I used that setup for hanging Elephant Garlic instead last year. I had 100% germination doing it that way.

The way I dry peppers is to use an oven. I've never met a pepper I couldn't dry that way - even bell peppers. The easiest/fastest peppers I've ever dried are Shish!to and Banana. You would surprised how good those taste in the form of chili powder. It also makes your house smell very good slowly drying in an oven.

Another way to dry peppers is using your smoker. Mine is a 30-35 gallon drum smoker that I use seasoned oak along with a few green oak sticks. Use an offset fire around 250F and keep it going steady. Again you can dry and smoke any type of pepper that way.

I saw mention of drying peppers whole. I haven't tried that. I cut ours in half lengthwise.

Either method is not quick, but it's worth the time and effort.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #19
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Alton Brown, in a Good Eats episode, shows a home-made dehydrator from a box fan, furnace filter, and bungee cord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JetOoEngs

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drying , jalapenos