Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 28, 2017   #106
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That's funny.

There is a bell called Bianca that ripens white to red. The peppers are never green. That's the only one I know of that does not start out green.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2017   #107
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Szegedi is also a very light yellow changing to red. and I grew something this year that started out a very pale green and ripened to yellow. nice sized pepper I just don't know what it is. it is supposed to be Szegedi.
Old October 28, 2017   #108
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I had a friend complain to me all peppers are mismarked when they get them. they never have red or yellow or orange peppers. they all come green on their plants.
I caught some of my relatives picking a few green bells without asking...
They said these bell peppers are Awsum! Mind if we pick a few?

I said, No they would have been Awsum, if you would have waited a few weeks for them to turn orange, yellow or red...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2017   #109
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Szegedi is also a very light yellow changing to red. and I grew something this year that started out a very pale green and ripened to yellow. nice sized pepper I just don't know what it is. it is supposed to be Szegedi.
Gypsy hybrid looks similar to Szegedi, it's light green/yellow almost clear or translucent at times then turns red. I think they are both Hungarian peppers.
Old October 28, 2017   #110
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Gypsy is a hybrid or open pollinated? My inlaws seemed to think there was no better pepper for stuffing than szegedi. I think they are a bit boring but I seem to like orange peppers better than yellow.
Old October 28, 2017   #111
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Gypsy is supposedly a hybrid
Old November 5, 2017   #112
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It must have been a great pepper year, when people in zone 6 are posting pics in November. These bells are from my step-dad's market garden. I believe the red is King Arthur. The orange is Flavorburst. And the yellow is Early Sunsation, which retains its title as best yellow bell hybrid. Flavorburst gets the orange bell pepper crown. King Arthur is really good, but there are so many green-to-red bells, that I don't have a favorite yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171105_130012.jpg (170.3 KB, 126 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #113
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nice. I just cleaned the peppers out of the garden today. oodles of peppers falling off the plants as I pulled them. it was quite sad actually. seems so wasteful, but it is mid to low 30's the rest of the week and you can see the frost damage on the plants from this past week so you know they won't grow any more at this point. it has been a spectacular late season for the peppers though. nice to hear your opinion on the sunsation. I have yet to get the seeds to germinate. all the yellow bells I had this year were cal wonders and are like eating crunchy water... that is how much flavor there is to me. I will put the sunsations on my list again.
Old November 7, 2017   #114
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Nice pics everyone, I love all the varieties.

Ghost on the left top, Kracken Scorpion on the top right, the yellow is Devils Tongue and the peach color is a cross that popped up from the Devils Tongue. The 2nd pic is that cross, the peppers start off green then go solid purple before ripening to a peach color.
Holy crap those peach peppers are nice! Can I have some seeds? I have some 7 Pot Primo I can trade you. They are a really floral tasting superhot. They actually taste better than any other top 5 hottest I've tried.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017   #115
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I'm about done growing bells myself. My Ajvarski were fantastic and will be back for sure. I also grew Biker Billy and it has been a monster producer. I grew a banana pepper from dollar store seeds and they outproduced everything, go figure. My 7 Pot Primo did well in its pot and is coming inside this week for overwintering. For the first season it produced well and it already as big as a small tree. My poblano(ancho) are still pumping out peppers and actually started to sell pretty well now. will try and post some pics when I can.
Old November 7, 2017   #116
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Primos are "supposedly" not stable yet. But I've had excellent results with them. Great pepper!

The peach cross is doubtful for the next generation. But if you get some and any grow true, put me down as "very interested". Thanks.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #117
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I grew King Arthur in an EarthBox this summer. I've grown peppers in an EB Junior, but had never grown King Arthur, and never any peppers in a full-sized EB. These were the best peppers I've ever grown. Big, blocky, generally very well shaped, and very good taste. New Ace was a good week earlier, but KA was so much better overall. My daughter eats them like candy, and I was able to keep her pretty well supplied. I like them with a ranch dressing dip. Looked just like the grocery store $1.79 ea. (or so) peppers. There may be better red peppers, but hard to imagine improvement over these.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #118
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was researching seed sources for the peppers shown in the beautiful photos in this thread.

Thought this comparison was worth sharing.
https://extension.umaine.edu/highmoo...per-varieties/

Karma was the winning pepper in Maine in 2013. I hope they consider updating their trial with some of the newer hybrids

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #119
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'd love some Crunch Sweet Orange seeds. Sounds like a great variety for market.
Old January 19, 2018   #120
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I'd love some Crunch Sweet Orange seeds. Sounds like a great variety for market.
I think i have some that I grew last year, originals seeds came from Cole. I also have mighty minis from saved seed from store bought peppers which produced identical peppers and lots of them. Let me see if I can dig them up.