Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 2, 2016   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default Aldi Gardenline Products.

Next week they have several things on sale.
I'm going to pick up a four tier shelving type unit plastic covered greenhouse thing.
It's 19.99.
It's the perfect thing for me to use to harden off seedlings. I've been wanting one for a while. All the catalogs have them for 49.99-79.99. So for twenty bucks? Oh I'm going to be there when they open!

Anyone used the Gardenline products before?

What's the quality like?
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about the quality, but......I would like to mention that if you use it outside, make sure the wind or animals can't tip it over. Squirrels and cats seem to like jumping up on and off of things. Squirrels and chipmunks like digging in pots/trays/cups too.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #3
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Vinyl, not Clear

I saw the ad for this Aldi greenhouse, will go on sale March 9th (next week).

It's pictured as coming with a GREEN vinyl cover, not clear.
How does this color affect plant growth?

The ones I've seen in various catalogs/websites have one or the other, but no mention of which works better, how or why.

Thoughts?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #4
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I don't know about the quality, but......I would like to mention that if you use it outside, make sure the wind or animals can't tip it over. Squirrels and cats seem to like jumping up on and off of things. Squirrels and chipmunks like digging in pots/trays/cups too.
It would go on my new patio and I was going to stake it to the ground between the pavers (I have them spaced wide enough that I can have creeping thyme and sedums growing between), maybe wire it to the porch railing behind it too. I wanted one because the squirrels and chipmunks are nasty little seedling thieves grrrrr.
Old March 3, 2016   #5
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
I saw the ad for this Aldi greenhouse, will go on sale March 9th (next week).

It's pictured as coming with a GREEN vinyl cover, not clear.
How does this color affect plant growth?

The ones I've seen in various catalogs/websites have one or the other, but no mention of which works better, how or why.

Thoughts?
And I just so happen to have March 9th off! I really will be there when the doors open!

I don't know about the green being important. When I winter sow the seedlings don't seem to care whether it's a clear bottle or a green bottle so I don't know if it matters. I'm a little worried the plastic cover will be very cheap and rip by the end of the season but I think I can order replacements to fit from catalogs (It seems to be the same size all over).

Oh here's a thought...maybe the green is more uv resistant? Tougher, will last longer than clear? *fingers crossed*
Old March 3, 2016   #6
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

If its the same type of greenhouse i bought at another store, a great investment.I havent seen the Aldi ad yet, we get our flyers friday or saturdays.You do need to stake them or weigh them down tho for sure.I redid the wire shelves with wood. The wire shelves are fine, if you just want them to start seeds.Good luck with them Barry
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #7
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryblushes View Post
If its the same type of greenhouse i bought at another store, a great investment.I havent seen the Aldi ad yet, we get our flyers friday or saturdays.You do need to stake them or weigh them down tho for sure.I redid the wire shelves with wood. The wire shelves are fine, if you just want them to start seeds.Good luck with them Barry
If you go to Aldi's website, you can type in your area zip code (to select your store), then you can choose to view either this week's current ad, or preview next week's ad.
That's how I was able to check out the entire ad for the week.
Both the greenhouse and the starter mix are pictured there.

BTW, last year I bought a couple varieties of peony roots for $1.69 each, and they had multiple shoots (eyes) on each root. Cannot beat that price if you like peonies.
Old March 3, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Aldi is just buying the stuff and putting their "Gardenline" name on it. So for items like their seed-starting mix, it makes me wonder if the exact same product is sold elsewhere under a different name. I wonder who actually makes it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #9
jillian
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a great deal. I love Aldi and shop there frequently. I might purchase one of these myself if our store has them.

When I googled gardenline 4 tier greenhouse the following came up as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-7610-4.../dp/B004T39VWC

Looks like the same one to me. Maybe under a different name/company? If the same then Aldi has a great price. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #10
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default Aldi Grow Bags

While we're on the topic of Aldi's buys, they have great shopping bags in beige color for $1.99 each. They hold the equivalent of 10 gallons each.

I used them to grow fingerling potatoes last summer, using the 5-1-1 mix, and they worked great! Simply ran them through the washer on light cycle (no soap) and they're ready for this season. Check 'em out!
Old March 3, 2016   #11
moneymaker
Tomatovillian™

Hi I have 2of the plastic mini greenhouse from ALDI a few problems with them first is the zip on the door it is poorly fitted to plastic and soon breaks away , secondly the plastic soon goes brittle in strong sunlight only good for a couple of years, but the sell replacement plastic covers
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #12
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
While we're on the topic of Aldi's buys, they have great shopping bags in beige color for $1.99 each. They hold the equivalent of 10 gallons each.

I used them to grow fingerling potatoes last summer, using the 5-1-1 mix, and they worked great! Simply ran them through the washer on light cycle (no soap) and they're ready for this season. Check 'em out!
Oh I was wondering if those bags would work for grow bags! Thank you! I'll be scooping up some of those as well!

TC_Manhattan how many seed potatoes did you start in each one?

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 3, 2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old March 3, 2016   #13
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
BTW, last year I bought a couple varieties of peony roots for $1.69 each, and they had multiple shoots (eyes) on each root. Cannot beat that price if you like peonies.
I bought over 150 spring bulbs this fall. If they do well I will purchase more this fall. I also saw different bushes on sale last spring (I remember raspberry, currant, hydrangeas, and lilacs) I hope they have them again this year so I can pick some up.

They also have some small indoor plants I plan on picking up. I need a new boston fern.
I've bought orchids from them a few times as gifts, they are gorgeous, and 1/2 to 1/3 the price of big box stores.
Old March 3, 2016   #14
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Hi I have 2of the plastic mini greenhouse from ALDI a few problems with them first is the zip on the door it is poorly fitted to plastic and soon breaks away , secondly the plastic soon goes brittle in strong sunlight only good for a couple of years, but the sell replacement plastic covers
Thank you! That was just the sort of honest review I was looking for! Do you think I could use greenhouse repair tape on the zipper? Maybe duct tape if it only lasts two years anyways?

I think I've seen the replacement covers for about $20 and that you have to replace them on the other greenhouses....so it still seems like a good deal to me. Maybe I could make my own cover out of better greenhouse plastic? Something that would last for five years maybe? Hmmm. Something to think about as a project for 2017 perhaps.
Old March 4, 2016   #15
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on the plastic deterioration in sunlight. I usually cover mine with row cover or shade cloth and leave the door open facing north. Also 4-gallon jugs of water on the bottom shelf will resist most winds. A seed starting heat pad on the bottom shelf can help on cool nights.
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote