Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 9, 2012   #1
drezz
Tomatovillian™

Default neptunes harvest seaweed

I always pass by that bottle in the store and I am kind of curious: what does this stuff do anyway? What do you use it for and what does it provide to the plants?
drezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Liquefied Kelp provides about 60-70 micronutrients, amino acids, vitamins and growth hormones.
It is an excellent supplemental fertilizer, can be applied to the soil or as a foliar spray.
You'll find many references to Neptune's Harvest and other brands of seaweed extracts here on TV if you do a search.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #3
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

cold process The best one by far, Also Organic and stays in soil all year i was told, the best is Fish/seaweed mixmade just north from us famouse Gloucester Ma. cold Atlantic fish
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=RayR;281511
It is an excellent supplemental fertilizer, can be applied to the soil or as a foliar spray.
[/QUOTE]

other than compost it is the only fertilizer i use with the exception of adding bone and blood meal to the place where i'll plant garlic.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #5
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Default Good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Liquefied Kelp provides about 60-70 micronutrients, amino acids, vitamins and growth hormones.
You'll find many references to Neptune's Harvest and other brands of seaweed extracts here on TV if you do a search.
RayR got it exactly right! This stuff works at least as well or better than anything organic or chemical I've tried and its just loaded with micros and other trace goodies). I also use their crab shell for calcium primarilly and sometimes their fish only to change the ratios (NKP). I also like it diluted as a seed starter/accellerator. But obviously I havent compared it to everything... Hope thats helpful in some way.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #6
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Neptunes harvest is the best!
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Also get the Fish/seaweed , they do sell both and other here is there new website, they have crab now
http://www.neptunesharvest.com/produ...customers.html
Old February 12, 2013   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Saltwater farms owner is a member here, and his fish/kelp and kelp alone is as good as it gets. I think it's the best on the market.
Old February 13, 2013   #9
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Neptunes harvest is the best!
Wine... wine... wine...wine!!! (Not Whine)...lol. Am learning to can this year(my new years resolution...to stop being lazy). I dehydrate and use all winter/ vacuum seal lightly steamed/ make LOTS of pasta/ and tomato /grape wines! Also my neighbors and friends get buried in produce. What do you guys do with your... extra???
Old February 13, 2013   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About Neptunes Harvest.

I think it's great to remember that the former owner was the one who got the seeds, actually fruits, from Anthony Neves in exchange for Neptune products, who gave seeds to a friend who gave them to someone here locally who gave them to me.

The variety name came from a thread I put up at GW where I gave all the background info I had and folks gave suggestions for a name.

The final name was Neves Azorean Red ( NAR as many write it), which many of you know and like. As thanks I sent seeds to all 22 folks who participated in that thread.

The owners kids have run the company for quite a few years now, and yes, I too use Neptune's products, and love them, and that before ever getting seeds from my local contact Chuck Perry.

Carolyn
Old February 13, 2013   #11
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

That's great Carolyn, this company if just north of here. Gloucester Ma, very private company. Never sold in big store lowe's or Homedepot.
Old February 13, 2013   #12
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

the seaweed emulsion is good but the fish and seaweed is far better as a balanced fertilizer. it's all i use other than compost. this year i'm starting to use a top dressing 1 time of dehydrated chicken manure on alliums and may experiment with it on other things but nh f&sw emulsion is all i've used for many years.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #13
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
That's great Carolyn, this company if just north of here. Gloucester Ma, very private company. Never sold in big store lowe's or Homedepot.
It can also be found in a few small local "hardware" (general merchandise) stores like KLems in Spencer for example. But you're right it isnt found in big stores, but it can sometimes be found "around".

Also RayR commented on liking the fish and seaweed better than the seaweed alone and I agree. The seaweed only supplies the "K" of NPK in any significant ratio so it isnt balanced and needs supplimenting while the fish and sea is 2-3-1 and works very well. I personally remix (add) additional seaweed (theirs or a great product maxicrop 1-0-4 kelp) to change the ratio to something I like better, but thats just a personal preference.
Old February 14, 2013   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne C View Post
It can also be found in a few small local "hardware" (general merchandise) stores like KLems in Spencer for example. But you're right it isnt found in big stores, but it can sometimes be found "around".

Also RayR commented on liking the fish and seaweed better than the seaweed alone and I agree. The seaweed only supplies the "K" of NPK in any significant ratio so it isnt balanced and needs supplimenting while the fish and sea is 2-3-1 and works very well. I personally remix (add) additional seaweed (theirs or a great product maxicrop 1-0-4 kelp) to change the ratio to something I like better, but thats just a personal preference.
Did I say that????
Actually I like them all...Fish hydrolysate, fish emulsions, cold press seaweed, separate or blends. My favorite things to water in when potting up seedlings or transplanting.
NPK varies depending on the manufacturer. I have Saltwater Farms Seacom PGR (0-4-4), a very concentrated cold pressed Ascophyllum nodosum, the P comes from the phosphoric acid added as a stabilizer. A lot of them are like that, if a seedweed has P, that's usually where it comes from.
Also have Drammatic O (fresh water fish hydrolysate (2-5-1) and Drammatic K (2-5-1), fresh water fish hydrolysate blended with cold pressed seaweed (
Ascophyllum nodosum, Sargassum and Laminariales)
Also have General Organics BioMarine (2-3-1), Cold Processed Squid and BioMarine (.2-0-.3), a homogenized cold pressed Ascophyllum nodosum.
Also have Atlantis fish hydrolysate (2-4-0), that's Bonide brand that I don't think they sell anymore, but I believe they sourced it from Neptune's Harvest)
Oh ya! I have Biobizz Fish Mix (2-0-4) too, Protein hydrolysate, fish hydrolysate and sugar beet molasses.
Think I have enough right now? The stuff goes a long way.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #15
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Did I say that????
Actually I like them all...Fish hydrolysate, fish emulsions, cold press seaweed, separate or blends. My favorite things to water in when potting up seedlings or transplanting.
NPK varies depending on the manufacturer. I have Saltwater Farms Seacom PGR (0-4-4), a very concentrated cold pressed Ascophyllum nodosum, the P comes from the phosphoric acid added as a stabilizer. A lot of them are like that, if a seedweed has P, that's usually where it comes from.
Also have Drammatic O (fresh water fish hydrolysate (2-5-1) and Drammatic K (2-5-1), fresh water fish hydrolysate blended with cold pressed seaweed (
Ascophyllum nodosum, Sargassum and Laminariales)
Also have General Organics BioMarine (2-3-1), Cold Processed Squid and BioMarine (.2-0-.3), a homogenized cold pressed Ascophyllum nodosum.
Also have Atlantis fish hydrolysate (2-4-0), that's Bonide brand that I don't think they sell anymore, but I believe they sourced it from Neptune's Harvest)
Oh ya! I have Biobizz Fish Mix (2-0-4) too, Protein hydrolysate, fish hydrolysate and sugar beet molasses.
Think I have enough right now? The stuff goes a long way.
I use aquarium water. Does that count?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote