Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2018   #1096
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Karma Pink is indeterminate, correct? Do you guys let it bush out or prune it? That plant looks so healthy and bushy! I pruned, and am wondering if I made a mistake. But there is so much moisture in the air overnight I have to worry about air flow.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #1097
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Karma Pink is indeterminate, correct? Do you guys let it bush out or prune it? That plant looks so healthy and bushy! I pruned, and am wondering if I made a mistake. But there is so much moisture in the air overnight I have to worry about air flow.
Each seems to do things differently, which is fine in a trial,
all of the KARMAs are cherries so typically I never prune outdoor grown cherries except for spotty foliage because it severely decreases yield but it will become a large and dense full sized indeterminate potato leaf plant so pruning in humid environments to decrease disease susceptibility may be needed in some areas. I`m sure you will get plenty of cherries as the season goes on. pruned or not. Thank you for trying it and I look forward to your opinion of the flavour.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #1098
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Well mine certainly don't need pruning (plant between the pepper and cucumber) - Koala Doug's look amazing, about three times the size of mine!!
http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1529543949
But, I do have a few tomatoes set .......

http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1529543951

A few bottom leaves have been removed - not sure if just hungry or something else
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08732.jpg (260.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08741.jpg (110.5 KB, 132 views)
Old June 20, 2018   #1099
chadandpia
Tomatovillian™

Default my first two Karma Pinks

I'm letting them ripen more before my first taste test! I seem to remember another thread where you mentioned to pick when they have a blush... And lots more green ones on the plants still.

Speaking of pruning, I've had to prune all my plants (including the Karma Pinks) due to this nasty looking grey mold that shows up on the stems, then branches and then finally on the leaves

Never had such issues with mold in the past as I'm having this year!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.JPG (63.0 KB, 122 views)
chadandpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1100
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I used soap with diatomaceous earth mixed in water to spray my plants. But that is great to prevent mold/bacterias. There are many recipes on internet (do not want to highjack this thread).

I have few big enough to turn color. Just have to give it time. It keeps on setting more. Maybe I should prune few lower leaves to trigger ripening.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1101
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Well mine certainly don't need pruning (plant between the pepper and cucumber) - Koala Doug's look amazing, about three times the size of mine!!
http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1529543949
But, I do have a few tomatoes set .......

http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1529543951

A few bottom leaves have been removed - not sure if just hungry or something else
Doug's look nice, but yours are coming along. Maybe one month, then you taste!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandpia View Post
I'm letting them ripen more before my first taste test! I seem to remember another thread where you mentioned to pick when they have a blush... And lots more green ones on the plants still.

Speaking of pruning, I've had to prune all my plants (including the Karma Pinks) due to this nasty looking grey mold that shows up on the stems, then branches and then finally on the leaves

Never had such issues with mold in the past as I'm having this year!!!
So sorry to hear about your disease problems but those fruit look very nice. I'm sure letting them fully ripen is the right move.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1102
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomat0 View Post
I unfortunately have only had 1 ripe cluster of KP and my wife and I ate them all last night with some mozzarella and basil... they were fantastic. She is very picky about her tomatoes, and she said she liked the "thicker skin" and the firmness.

I over crowded my tomato beds (as usual) so I'm afraid that may be the only cluster I'll get until fall. I've struggled getting fruit set this year because it's been so hot here. I also planted out a little late.
Just wanted to soeak to the "thick skin". I bet she meant it was thick walled, because the skin itself is so thin that I advise folks who live with humidity to pick them at first blush. Is the actual skin thick for you?
Old June 21, 2018   #1103
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Wind warning!

I thought my KARMA Pinks had a blight. Leaves were turning black. Then I realized that it was strong wind that had caused the damage. The large floppy leaves are very susceptible. Fortunately my two outdoor plants are in a large container, which I managed to move to a more sheltered location. The plants are recovering well, and I'll post photos when they've set fruit.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1104
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I thought my KARMA Pinks had a blight. Leaves were turning black. Then I realized that it was strong wind that had caused the damage. The large floppy leaves are very susceptible. Fortunately my two outdoor plants are in a large container, which I managed to move to a more sheltered location. The plants are recovering well, and I'll post photos when they've set fruit.

Steve
They will be ok. Mine are out in the open, they were purpleing, rolling omg the cold and wind. Now it’s warm and they are taking off like gangbusters but even when it was awful out and cold at night they set fruit. . Now blooming and growing as they should. They are tough plants.
Karen
Old June 21, 2018   #1105
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Here’s the KARMAS coming back after their 7 degree nights out in the open and the wind.
K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0AFF7484-4DB2-4FB8-93BC-4C9DFAA4C14E.jpg (645.1 KB, 120 views)
Old June 21, 2018   #1106
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

What device do you use as a sprayer?

What do your plants look like after spraying?

How often do you spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I used soap with diatomaceous earth mixed in water to spray my plants. But that is great to prevent mold/bacterias. There are many recipes on internet (do not want to highjack this thread).

I have few big enough to turn color. Just have to give it time. It keeps on setting more. Maybe I should prune few lower leaves to trigger ripening.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1107
bower
Tomatovillian™

It happens that KARMAPink ended up sharing a berth with Moravsky Div here - which is more or less a standard for performance in cool and grey weather. At least we know how MDiv has performed before so it is a kind of reference point for the unstable plants in different seasons - as you know it's been severely cold here this year - yep, a lot more than normal, and many days in a row without sunshine. But we have had some nicer weather in the past week, and we're all back to growing again.
So here is a pic of the two plants at 112 days from seed - MDiv on the left, KPink on the right.
- Moravsky Div is just a little bit taller than KARMA Pink, although KP was the bigger seedling while still indoors. They are both pruned to two stems. Leaves look about the same - I did see some curling on KP during the cold but pretty minor, I've seen worse on other varieties. And the leaves are fine now. I was surprised that KP is not a bigger plant, but for me that is a blessing not a curse!
- The second pic shows adjacent fruit clusters - MDiv above, KPink below. Two weeks ago KP was struggling to push out that first fruit, but now she is growing the others up. Those are fruit that set during the cold weather but didn't grow - but they didn't drop!
She won't be an early fruiter for me this year. No problem! The important thing is that she has endured all that cold and gloom and stress and now she is picking up where she left off. That's a very good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MDIV-KARMAPink112dplants.JPG (385.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg MDIV-KARMAPink-fruit112ds.JPG (173.9 KB, 105 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #1108
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
What device do you use as a sprayer?

What do your plants look like after spraying?

How often do you spray?
i've sent you a pm

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #1109
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Bower, I think the fruit looks good. Sorry about the delay in fruit maturation.
Old June 22, 2018   #1110
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hola a todos desde España.
mi primer tomate de KARMA pink esta empezando a coger color.
Creo que en unos dias podre probarlo.
Deseoso de probarlo
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-06-22_20-20-42-475.jpg (184.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-22_20-21-46-308.jpg (260.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-22_20-30-33-856.jpg (187.5 KB, 68 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote