Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 21, 2016   #151
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
What great use of the space. Things looking awesome. Could a Whippersnapper or two hanging w some pretty orbs contribute?

That $ucks about the car. I went through that with an old Focus post collision. Chewed up a bunch of alternators, batteries, sensors, wiring, etc. As soon as I saw the light show I'd know it was time for it to climb onto the platform. I "fixed" it and got rid of it, with full disclosure. Some cars take collisions in stride, others not so much.

I hope they find something wrong that accounts for all of it, and for resolution.

keep the pics coming.
Thanks! I had to look up Whippersnapper but that does seem like a good idea! Just have to check about installing hooks because our apartment property management is a little uppity. I had my strawberries in a basket but on a stand to hold the hanging basket, so that might be an option too.

We should know more about what's going on with the car today, hopefully, and whether or not repairs will be covered by insurance as we already paid the deductible the first time around. I think the last update they sent my husband (this place sends text updates to his phone every day or so) said that it was something to do with the alternator, which is what we suspected from the get-go. I sure do miss our car, though. This rental they have us driving (a 2016 Jeep Compass, go ahead and look up the reviews on it I'll wait ) is just awful.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #152
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Hey Austin guys, what's the tap water pH there? Pretty high? Up here it reads nearly 8.5. I have to use pH Down in every batch of water.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #153
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Hey Austin guys, what's the tap water pH there? Pretty high? Up here it reads nearly 8.5. I have to use pH Down in every batch of water.
I dont live in Austin I live in Bastrop and it is loaded with calcium.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #154
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I'm not in Austin either, but Round Rock's has a pH of 7.5 as of 2014 (per the most recent CCR online)
Old April 21, 2016   #155
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I should have said "Austin Metroplex"... (I used to live there, btw. Near 2222 and Balcones)

7.5 is manageable. I doubt you even have to adjust. Last year before I found out how alkaline the Dallas water is I had some severe nutrient mobility problems on 3-4 varieties - mostly the big super-hots.

Good growing.
Old April 21, 2016   #156
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I just found out the insurance isn't covering the alternator repair/replacement/what-have-you because the Honda dealership they sent it to to figure out the problem said it's normal wear and tear and unrelated to the accident. I call BS and I really don't know what we're going to do. My husband only has a part time temporary job right now, I'm working full time and that's our only car. That car is only 6 years old and we've had it just over a year and I really really don't see how it could be normal wear and tear since all I hear about Hondas is how they are such great reliable cars. Ugh. Not the news I was expecting to hear at all.
Old April 21, 2016   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I just found out the insurance isn't covering the alternator repair/replacement/what-have-you because the Honda dealership they sent it to to figure out the problem said it's normal wear and tear and unrelated to the accident. I call BS and I really don't know what we're going to do. My husband only has a part time temporary job right now, I'm working full time and that's our only car. That car is only 6 years old and we've had it just over a year and I really really don't see how it could be normal wear and tear since all I hear about Hondas is how they are such great reliable cars. Ugh. Not the news I was expecting to hear at all.
It isn't age how many miles are on the car.
That alternator with today's technology should last well over 100,000 miles.
Old April 21, 2016   #158
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You have to basically pull the motor to get the alternator changed out on our PT Cruiser.

Separate -- I was thinking most of Texas soil was more acidic. We have patches of clay on the property that are 5.5ph
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #159
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Up here on the plains the municipal water perks through the underlying limestone. Clay will be acidic. pH in Georgia clay was at least that low; I seem to remember a few spots in the 4s. I didn't read the municipal water there but underlying formations are igneous, which apparently implies a lower pH.

Now, the Austin Metroplex is in hill country and it would be interesting to see what their water perks though.

Best source of data on water that I've found is on beer brewing forums. Those guys take their water very seriously.

Kelly, was there a problem with the electrical system before the accident? If not then you should talk to the insurance rep. The best way I've found to get them to budge is to simply not accept the settlement. They hate it when you drag it out. 'Course, in the meantime you're without your car. But they should be springing for a rental anyway. Yes?

Oh, and one thing they won't suggest to you but might work is to get a "hard estimate". If you can find a shop that will fix it for a guaranteed maximum, they will often pay more than they are offering now. Something about "discovered damage".

Last edited by dmforcier; April 21, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old April 21, 2016   #160
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It isn't age how many miles are on the car.
That alternator with today's technology should last well over 100,000 miles.
44k miles on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
You have to basically pull the motor to get the alternator changed out on our PT Cruiser.
On our Civic you just have to remove a tire to give yourself enough room to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Kelly, was there a problem with the electrical system before the accident? If not then you should talk to the insurance rep. The best way I've found to get them to budge is to simply not accept the settlement. They hate it when you drag it out. 'Course, in the meantime you're without your car. But they should be springing for a rental anyway. Yes?

Oh, and one thing they won't suggest to you but might work is to get a "hard estimate". If you can find a shop that will fix it for a guaranteed maximum, they will often pay more than they are offering now. Something about "discovered damage".
No, it was running perfectly before the accident and the alternator issue was noticed the day after we got it back form the body shop. Our rental car (that, yes, the insurance covers and it covered the one we had right after the accident on the 29th as well) has to be turned in tomorrow. My FIL was kind enough to let us borrow his car for a couple of days until we get things sorted out.

Our usual mechanic quoted us $80 for the alternator, and $80-140 (depending on the engine size) for labor and we planned on taking it to him tomorrow.
Old April 21, 2016   #161
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No way should one go out in 44K miles that is not normal wear and tear.
Worth
Old April 22, 2016   #162
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No way should one go out in 44K miles that is not normal wear and tear.
Worth
No kidding. We took it to our regular mechanic this morning and his first words after looking at the dealer diagnostic were "it needs a new alternator at 40k miles?!?" and made a face of disbelief. We said "our thoughts exactly". The estimate for replacement is $250 for parts and labor, hoping that's really the only issue with the car right now.
Old April 22, 2016   #163
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Kelly, nice garden and sorry to read about your car trouble.

I've had 2 hondas (CRXs) make it to 150K or 200K (each) without an alternator change.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #164
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Kelly, nice garden and sorry to read about your car trouble.

I've had 2 hondas (CRXs) make it to 150K or 200K (each) without an alternator change.
Thank you! That's good to hear.

We got the car back after work today, it seems to be running fine so far but we're keeping my FIL's car until Sunday to test drive a little more so that if it does have anymore problems we have a backup car at the ready.
Old April 23, 2016   #165
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Look who finally started climbing yesterday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160423_104535.jpg (199.1 KB, 79 views)