Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old November 12, 2015   #31
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

IronPete,

I'll make it easy for you. Get seeds of Cream of Saskatchewan.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #32
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Tormato: The name sounds neat but this is what Tania says: Small round watermelon with light green rind with darker green stripes and white or pale yellow fresh. Juicy, very good flavor, but not as sweet as red-fleshed watermelons, it has a refreshing citric zing.

Is this what your Cream of Sas is? I like big sweet melons.
Old November 13, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nothing beats the old standards for melons.
For a small one you can grow on a trellis Blacktail Mountain comes to mind it has a red flesh.
Developed by Glenn Drowns of Sand Hill Preservation.

As I have said before you cant judge a melon for sweetness by name only but by how it was grown.
I have seen wild citrons growing in West Texas in straight sand with no help from anyone.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #34
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback Worth and Tormato! I am going to see about getting some cream of Saskatchewan melon!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #35
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Saskatchewan knows watermelons. You don't just eat them there, in fact if it is not helmet grade watermelon, then they won't grow it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=saska...FQmKkAodDb4Anw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
Thanks for the feedback Worth and Tormato! I am going to see about getting some cream of Saskatchewan melon!

Pete
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #36
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Dakota Rose is the sweetest watermelon I've been able to grow well here, followed by Dark Star. Both are supposed to be in the 10-15 lb. range but I had one SDR reach 55 lbs. this year. Crimson Sweet was my previous favorite, but they are generally larger than the other two. I always share cut melons with neighbors and many have said the the SDR is the best tasting watermelon they've ever had or that they've had in years.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #37
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana has a number of early watermelons, including Cream of Saskatchewan - which is actually a Russian variety. I just looked, but unfortunately the current selection is low.

I grew Marmeladnyi this past summer & managed 2 small fruit without a greenhouse in Zone 3a.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...termelon_Seeds
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #38
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Tormato: The name sounds neat but this is what Tania says: Small round watermelon with light green rind with darker green stripes and white or pale yellow fresh. Juicy, very good flavor, but not as sweet as red-fleshed watermelons, it has a refreshing citric zing.

Is this what your Cream of Sas is? I like big sweet melons.
When I don't rank on the Cleveland Browns (bad karma/exploding CoS) my Cream of Saskatchewans are about 8-10 lbs, juicy, very sweet, very good flavor. I recommend it for cooler climates than mine, where likely better tasting melons, here, may not be very good, there.

My standard is OrangeGlo, superbly sweet and flavorful, 25-30 lb average in my garden, no disease/vigor issues.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I used to grow a 250 ft row of all kinds of melons each year and here are the watermelon ones that time after time were the sweetest in my zone 5 in upstate NY.

Blacktail Mountain
Orangeglo
Cream ofSaskatchewan
Yellow Doll F1 (pardon the hybrid but it's great)

I tried many versions of Moon and Stars but they never did very well for me, maybe once every few years for some,especially the yellow fleshed one which I thought was terrific and Glenn at Sandhill says the same thing about it,

Ja, over the years I used to send Glenn new tomato varieties and then I had my choice of almost anything but I wanted to grow watermelons.

And that b'c my father used to tell the stories about when he was a kid and he and some others would go out to the watermelon patch and plug them, meaning make a slanted 4 sided cut, pull out that plug and taste the flesh. Not ripe yet? Replace the plug.I never knew what variety he grew, never thought to ask, and maybe it didn't even have a name.

Glenn was the Curator for Cucurbits for SSE for many years which is why he lists so many melon varieties and it was he who sent seeds to Jere Gettle, for free, when Jere first started Baker Creek. And Jere got his first heirloom birdies from Glenn also.

Carolyn
Old November 15, 2015   #40
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It may be too hot here for Cream of Saskatchewan, but then Blacktail Mountain does well here and I think was developed for cooler climates. Oh man am I getting excited about melon growing. Thanks a lot you guys, all I need is another obsession.
Old November 18, 2015   #41
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Orangeglo rocks.

Diana, small and elongated, yellow outside, more pink than red flesh inside, great productivity. Most are 1-2 kilos and have gotten some good feedback on them. Very sweet, and minimal seeds.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #42
syfymy5
Tomatovillian™

Default Watermelon grow out for 2016

Growing Raspa, Starbrite and Yellow Doll.
syfymy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #43
True Timbers
Tomatovillian™

With record heat last summer, I was actually able to grow blacktail mountain to sweet perfection.

In the past near the shore's of lake Superior, I could grow sugar baby some years.

(Sorry can't get into other than pink or red watermelon. It seems people even look at those with disbelief...)
True Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote