Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 26, 2018   #376
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Nan Thank you for proving there is a such thing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #377
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Nan Thank you for proving there is a such thing.
Used them for years.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #378
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fit over tomato cages for mini greenhouse.
Worth
Old June 26, 2018   #379
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have been using clear plastic garbage bags at Christmas for years. Makes it easier to tote all those gifts for the nieces and nephews into the house and it looks a lot more feastive because you can see all the ribbons and bows and wrapped gifts. When they were little the kids loved seeing all those bags of presents coming in, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #380
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Not my Texas Tomato Cages, lol! I wish they did. But if you still use the smallerr cages they would, and what a great idea!
Old June 26, 2018   #381
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Not my Texas Tomato Cages, lol! I wish they did. But if you still use the smallerr cages they would, and what a great idea!
The big ones fit my 24 inch Texas tomato cages without the top part on like a stocking.
Cant remember what size.

Worth
Old June 26, 2018   #382
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well that would be good for early starts, but no way I can get the top off in the fall without wreaking the plants, to extend the season in the fall. Good to know that it can be used in case of an unexpected late frost in spring, though.
Old June 27, 2018   #383
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I never looked for the clear bags. I've been using the Glad Ultra Strong for the past few years. (Not for gardening) I've never had one get a hole in it or anything like that - so that's what I've been using. The individual rooms have little trashcans that a grocery store plastic bag works well with.

I know, not much of a reply... Worth that sounds like a good idea to use the clear bags on the cages when need be.
Old June 27, 2018   #384
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Marsha, I do pay attention Barb's experiment with the different colors of plastic is a proven fact. Remember that I did solarize the 45' x 45' garden with clear plastic. I did a whole lot of research along the way.

Worth, now where am I going to find clear trash bags? Everyone wants to hide the fact that they are human.
I had already written clear plastic for solarizing on our grocery/household shopping list for this week.

There are some links out there where it says to paint the clear plastic...? Some that say to leave the plastic on until it deteriorates ...? No, I'm not going to paint plastic nor am I going to leave it there to grow in.
I know you pay attention, additionally, a lot of other folks are reading this to learn.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #385
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

These are the cheapest I have comes across for 3mil heavy duty. The thinner ones disintegrate, been there done that. Free shipping is great.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toughbag-...12&athena=true
Old June 27, 2018   #386
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Still pulling tomatoes from my plants from high heat fruit set.
The bags I used were really thin but only needed to be there for a week or two one year.

Worth
Old June 28, 2018   #387
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I know you pay attention, additionally, a lot of other folks are reading this to learn.
Marsha, you are absolutely right. There have been replies on this thread saying that . I've also gotten PMs saying the same thing. It feels good to have a thread going where many of us are learning from those who have more experience.

I would like to ask you and everyone a question.

(First, I should explain - July 1 through July 4rth is extremely special to my wife and I. July 1, 1985 - 33 years ago, she and I moved in together and changed our lives forever. We celebrate that anniversary more-so than our wedding anniversary. Three days later comes the forth of July - the holiday we celebrate the most. All of this costs money, so I tried buying lower cost products for gardening.) Now, I will get to the question:

We bought the clear plastic today to solarize with. 2 MIL is what we bought because it is in-size more than what I need and $20 less than the 4 MIL. Would using two layers of the 2 MIL be the same as using one layer of the 4 MIL? This is to go on top of the 5 gallon buckets only. I saved the receipt and haven't opened the package, so I can return it if need be.

The other thing I bought on the cheap was carrot seeds that will be growing in some of those buckets this fall. American seeds at Walmart for 20 cents a pack. I got them for the experience of growing in containers. Besides, I think our grandchildren are rabbits with as many carrots as they eat and they are much better for them than junk food.
Old June 28, 2018   #388
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why not. I get 3 mil, which is way stronger than I need, so 4 mil would certainly work. If those are trash can size,you can put 2 buckets in each double bag set up.
20 cent carrots, can't beat that.
Old June 28, 2018   #389
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Giant onion.
Worth
Old June 28, 2018   #390
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
These are the cheapest I have comes across for 3mil heavy duty. The thinner ones disintegrate, been there done that. Free shipping is great.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toughbag-...12&athena=true
I finally got the link to load. Those would be easy to use. (My PC didn't care for the last Windows update.)

I did find some 3.5 MIL plastic sheeting that is what I was looking for https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-10x...-5mil/20896139 It says it's in stock at our local Walmart. That's what I used in our garden a couple years ago and it's cheap,

The problem with our local Walmart is that it is a pilot store and is going through a complete store remodel. That plastic may be near the diapers for all I know