Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Learn how to join Tomatoville®. Our community rules and guidelines are also posted here.

Closed Thread

Old January 15, 2007   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Why certain topics are not allowed...

Over the last year I have received many private messages and emails, asking me why political and religious topics are not allowed in the forums here at Tomatoville®.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain why.

The Internet is a wonderful invention. It give us all the priceless opportunity to learn and share
knowledge from the comfort of our own homes. The limitations of distance between each
of us has been circumvented. We have the world at our fingertips via a keyboard and screen.

Internet forums are also the great equalizer of men and women. Whether you're wealthy, poor, tall, short,
gorgeous, plain, elderly, young, etc...it makes no difference. You are not judged by your social
status or appearance. (which is a good thing because I can't count how many times I've sat in front of my
computer in my underwear with two day's worth of razor stubble on my face )

The driving concept behind Tomatoville® is to unite people that share a common
interest; an interest in growing tomatoes and getting the most from their hard work in the garden.
People of all ages and from all walks of life. People with different ethnic and religious backgrounds,
different economic, political and social positions.

Not just people from the United States, but from all around the world.

To borrow a lesson from the past of all mankind, our history is well documented with two subject matters
that have driven people apart from each other. Yes, you guessed it - religion and politics. These two
topics are the root cause for virtually every war and battle that has ever been fought, not to
mention the suffering and countless lives lost as a result of them.

The world has yet to learn from these hard-earned facts, but I sure have. I've invested a great deal of
my time and money to establish and maintain Tomatoville® as a free-admission, non-commercial sanctuary for everyone to join and share information and learn from others. Our moderators have been equally as generous, donating their time spent here to assist members and share their wealth of knowledge with others. We have no payroll; they do it for free out of their passion to help and teach others and without them Tomatoville® would just be another dead end on the information highway.

To keep our community a united, peaceful place it is imperative that we keep focused on our common interests and not on matters that have to potential to divide us. You have the right to be who you are and think the way you want to think and to practice or not practice a religion, but you must check your political affiliations and religious beliefs at the entrance to Tomatoville®.

History may repeat itself elsewhere, but it would be a genuine shame to allow that to happen within our community...wouldn't it?

We are all Tomatovillians™.

Technically, I may own this site but in reality it's just as much yours.

Thank you.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Closed Thread