Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 18, 2013   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
Say Red, I have an apply tree with leaves looking like fall leaves, little black spots and yellowish.. I was thinking maybe misting it with such of a solution you suggest. I fear it may be too late as the small 10ft tree leaves are all yellowing with tiny brown spots.I tried looking on youtube with no results..perhaps it is a type of fungus?
It might work but like you say it may be too late if most of the leaves are infected. I have never used it on an apple tree but have used it on a peach tree with no ill affects; but the diseased leaves did dry up and fall off.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #47
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I have two trees the one apple is fine the other about 40 ft away is looking like i never seen before. I did sprinkle 10 10 10 around it early season ,,late feb early march.. kept the stuff about 2 ft away radius and used about a coffee can say 11 oz. ,, i did the same to the other one aNnd it looks great with apples ,, the one i'm concerned about has a few apples but leaves look diseased..I could take a pic sometime.. doubt i want to bother spraying it.. the deer in my yard eat them anyway.. my tomatoes are fenced and so far so good for the two beds out of four. My swiss chard seedlings look like they will make it to the beds doing not so good for tomatoes,,(either not enough sun or PH issues still.. I sprayed around them again with 1 cup to gallon water white vinegar but I'm not sure with all this rain we are getting in JUNE.
Old June 20, 2013   #48
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

B54RED, you need a metal or some sort of recognition

I gave the spray a shot. We've had a ton of rain and my squash got hit hard with early blight. No joke about being prepared for some to just die and shrivel up.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #49
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
B54RED, you need a metal or some sort of recognition

I gave the spray a shot. We've had a ton of rain and my squash got hit hard with early blight. No joke about being prepared for some to just die and shrivel up.
That is the very reason I urge the use of the bleach spray at the first sign of disease instead of waiting until the plants are wrapped up with disease. The earlier you use it the fewer leaves you will lose. As long as it is mixed correctly and applied correctly the healthy plant tissue seems unaffected by repeated use; but the sick parts will wither up and die.

Bill
Old June 23, 2013   #50
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I'd rather loose a few leaves than the plant. Or, struggle with keeping it alive for the rest of the season. I'm super happy with the results. My husband is super happy with the price tag. hahaha I'm so glad to have gotten your tip. Have a good one!
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #51
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome. I sprayed everything but my okra today with the regular mix bleach since we had a couple of rains since I last sprayed with anything and more rain is forecast for tomorrow so no point in wasting expensive fungicide. I even sprayed all my tomato and pepper seedlings in the greenhouse and the ones hardening off. I hope when I check tomorrow there won't be too many leaves drying up. I seem to have the Gray Mold in check for now and mostly just dealing with a little mildew and EB.

Bill
Old June 24, 2013   #52
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Tried it tonight just after dusk with the hose-end @ 4 oz per gallon with 8.25% hypochlorite bleach. Did it as lightly as I could....hope it isn't phytotoxic..or you get to face my wife!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have but they aren't as exact and it is harder to get the bottoms of the leaves. It also applies a lot more than is necessary and you get much more puddling on the leaves.

Bill

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Tried it tonight just after dusk with the hose-end @ 4 oz per gallon with 8.25% hypochlorite bleach. Did it as lightly as I could....hope it isn't phytotoxic..or you get to face my wife!!
The problem with a hose end sprayer for applying foliar sprays is you get quite a bit of puddling on the leaves and it is harder to get the undersides of the leaves. As long as your hose end sprayer accurately dispenses the designated amount you should not have any problems.

Bill
Old June 25, 2013   #54
macbettz
Tomatovillian™

this might be a silly question but can the dilute bleach spray ruin your clothes should any overspray or droplets get on your shirt?
macbettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #55
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I guess if you got enough on a dark color it might fade it some. I have never noticed any thing except when I get some full strength bleach on my clothes; but then I wear really old stuff in the garden since I'm still as messy as when I was a youngster playing in the dirt.

Bill
Old June 25, 2013   #56
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbettz View Post
this might be a silly question but can the dilute bleach spray ruin your clothes should any overspray or droplets get on your shirt?
It's possible but honestly it's so dilute there's hardly any bleach in there really. But I wouldn't wear clothes you don't want to have bleach spots just in case.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #57
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

I would likely use those 10 dollar 2gal. pump spray applicators with the wand.. but my plants are healthy looking so far here in nnj.. also ..if i water them at all, it is early morning and not after sunset.. my town water probably has enough chlorine but, should I see any sign of leaf disease/fungus I'll use your formula with confidence.
Old June 26, 2013   #58
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Well I applied some of your bleach treatment to some plants exhibiting what I think is early blight. Today I saw some results, with spotting on some but not all of the branches I had sprayed. And the ones that did show change, only showed change in parts (spots, mostly). I'm guessing it was my own haphazard spraying (I wasn't prepared at all so I was just using an old hand spray bottle), but it certainly showed me what branches were affected, even if it didn't kill everything. So I was able to cut them all off.

I may spray again tonight and try to be a little more diligent about coverage.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #59
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The first time I used it I was surprised by spots on what I thought were healthy leaves. With a little experience I soon learned it only spotted or shriveled up sick parts of the plant.

I sprayed my whole garden again two days ago and then we had rain for the next two days so I went out and cut off a pile of dying and damaged leaves then sprayed the whole thing again. I hope these rains two or three times a day will slow down. The really bad thing about the rains is they are not dropping a lot of water just enough to keep the plants wet but not enough to water them so I am still having to water along with all the extra spraying. I'm afraid with all this rain and the inability to keep a fungicide on the plants the next thing I'm going to see is Septoria.

Bill
Old June 26, 2013   #60
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

What is it bleach spray- chemical ?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleach spray