Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2016   #1
DannyD
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf disease ID?

Put tomatoes outside to start hardening them off and they've started showing the brown/tan spots shown below. Also our peppers have a slightly different discoloration mostly on the edges of the leaves (also pictured). Not sure if this is sunscald, bacterial leaf spot, speck or some other malady. Please help!

In case this is relevant, I already had a spider mite issue with these plants. Hit them with soapy water and Neem oil every few days for two weeks and the mites seemed to go away but the plants also showed a little wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (428.4 KB, 159 views)
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #2
DannyD
Tomatovillian™

Default rest of the images

sorry the rest of the pics didn't post the first time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (333.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (378.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (322.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (308.1 KB, 151 views)
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #3
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Do not know last pic but I would assume your treatments damaged leaves.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I'm not an expert, but have seen similar conditions through the years and would guess a combination of sun scald, a mold of some type (which means it is much more wide spread than it appears in my experience) something bacterial like bacterial speck and/or fungal like early blight.

Where you are, this time of year, I would say the presence of spider mites is a sign of your plants being under stress from other things (disease) as spider mites often move in to finish off a stressed plants.

I would remove affected foliage and treat for disease. Many options are out there in prior posts. Good luck.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The tomatoes look like they have a burn from neem oil in the sun . I have gotten this even though I sprayed with the neem late afternoon the day before. It is just that residual oil may be left to fry some leaves.
Your peppers just look like lack of water is happening. That's because the tips and edges are where they are damaged, that is a tell tale sign of not enough water, or fertilizer burn, one or the other. Heres the definite tell about which; The spider mites are very telling, they thrive in dry conditions.

I am sure others will differ, but that's my diagnosis based on your plant's medical history.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Me- I judge by what I have done to the plant first. Lets say I did foliar spray and next day plants got their burned edges- this is not fungal or bacterial but results of my own doing. Now if there is nothing you have done but leaves are suddenly wilting etc... look out for outside help...
Another thing is to know what is widespread in your particular area and what your neigbors are having as well. Your local extension could be helpful. I.e. in my zone at this time we most likely to have early blight, then Septoria comes along. All others are less common. I do quite a bit of foliar sprays so yep, have caused similar damage to my leaves too. Live and learn.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #7
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Neem oil every few days sounds like a lot. Just because it is organically approved does not mean that it won't hurt the plants when used in excess.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote