Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old August 8, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Sorbet

Hi,

I just got a new cookbook: Ivan Raman from Amazon. He has an interesting recipe for Tomato Sorbet that I thought some of you might be interested in. The material is copyrighted, but you can click on "Look Inside" at this link for the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivan-Ramen-Obs...rds=ivan+raman

When you get the "Look inside" page, scroll down in the search area to the left until you get to the blank search box. Type in "tomato sorbet" (without the quotes) and you'll come up with a link to the tomato recipes and, further down, in blue, you can click a link to page 200 for the actual recipe.

Hope it works for you! I haven't tried the recipe yet, but plan to do so soon.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi,

I just got a new cookbook: Ivan Raman from Amazon. He has an interesting recipe for Tomato Sorbet that I thought some of you might be interested in. The material is copyrighted, but you can click on "Look Inside" at this link for the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivan-Ramen-Obs...rds=ivan+raman

When you get the "Look inside" page, scroll down in the search area to the left until you get to the blank search box. Type in "tomato sorbet" (without the quotes) and you'll come up with a link to the tomato recipes and, further down, in blue, you can click a link to page 200 for the actual recipe.

Hope it works for you! I haven't tried the recipe yet, but plan to do so soon.

Anne
I'm not a member so I couldn't see search results so I found a back door.
But some of the pages are missing.
Worth

http://books.google.com/books?id=qSj...ed=0CB8Q6AEwAA

Last edited by Worth1; August 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #3
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

In 2003, I attended an Heirloom Tomato gathering and they served a luncheon afterward. The desert was something they called Tomato Sorbet. I'm no expert, but as it includes dairy it should probably have been called Tomato Ice Cream. At any rate, it was really really good. I asked for the recipe and a few weeks later, the chef, whose name I can't remember, had it emailed to me. Here it is:

__________________________________________________ ______________________
From a Chef working for one of the restaurants in the Myriad Restaurant Group, New York NY (it's all I can remember)

Framage Blanc Tomato Sorbet

Tomato Syrup:

100 g Tomato Juice
100 g sugar

Bring ingredients to boil allowing sugar to dissolve.

270 g Fromage Blanc
100 g Heavy Cream
200 g Tomato Syrup

Blend ingredients in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions for sorbet.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
In 2003, I attended an Heirloom Tomato gathering and they served a luncheon afterward. The desert was something they called Tomato Sorbet. I'm no expert, but as it includes dairy it should probably have been called Tomato Ice Cream. At any rate, it was really really good. I asked for the recipe and a few weeks later, the chef, whose name I can't remember, had it emailed to me. Here it is:

__________________________________________________ ______________________
From a Chef working for one of the restaurants in the Myriad Restaurant Group, New York NY (it's all I can remember)

Framage Blanc Tomato Sorbet

Tomato Syrup:

100 g Tomato Juice
100 g sugar

Bring ingredients to boil allowing sugar to dissolve.

270 g Fromage Blanc
100 g Heavy Cream
200 g Tomato Syrup

Blend ingredients in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions for sorbet.
If it had dairy it should have been called sherbet or sherbert not sorbet.
Sorbet has no dairy as you stated.
With the amounts of dairy that is in the recipe it more than likely should be Ice cream As I think the butterfat content would be over 3% which is the limit for sherbet.
Being a chef you would think he would know the difference between sorbet, sherbet and ice cream.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 10, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old August 10, 2014   #5
Norval
Tomatovillian™

2 more Sorbet recipes in this thread.
Post #2 and post #6

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=sorbet
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #6
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth,

I don't think you need to be a "member" of Amazon.com to browse anything at the site. (But I could be wrong, of course). My computer's been acting up today on amazon so I can't re-try getting a more direct link for you.

Not sure about copyright rules, but paraphrasing things a bit (and with fingers crossed ) here's the gist of the recipe. ...

First prep 4 slow roasted tomato halves. Core the tomatoes, brush with some veggie oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 225 F for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours until sort of soft and leathery but slightly moist.

For the actual sorbet, make a lemon sugar by process the zest of 2 lemons with 1/4 c. sugar in food processor until sugar takes on yellow hue.

In a cleaned processor or blender, puree the 4 slow roasted tomato halves and 4 medium ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped).

Add the lemon sugar to the pureed tomatoes and continue to process until sugar totally dissolved.

Add 2/3 c. lemon juice, and 2 t. kosher salt. Blend until salt dissolved and then process in churner as you would with any other sorbet.

I'm going to give it a try once I can get my hands on some lemons - although I may have to adapt the recipe for largish cherry tomatoes as I have a shortage of standard sized tomatoes in the garden at the moment.

I'm finding the whole book to be very interesting for what it is - basically a book about the author's work with Ramen and not the typical cookbook. Hopefully you might be able to get on Amazon to read some of the reviews to see if it's the sort of book that might appeal to you.

Anne
Old August 11, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Anne for going through the trouble to do this.
My wife was the prime member she is gone so now I have to join some time in the future.

Worth
Old August 11, 2014   #8
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth,

Happy to help!! BTW, I just have a regular Amazon acct and am not a prime member.

Anne