Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 17, 2007   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default seedstarter w/o fertilizer

It was my understanding that the seed has all it needs as far as nutrition so adding fertilizer would be counterproductive. I use Hoffman's seedstarter that does not have fertilizer. When I get the first true leaves I transplant the soil blocks and use a potting mix that has fertilizer.

When I initially used a small amount of fertilizer in the seedstarter I got explosive growth. Huge leggy things that grew way too fast.

Do other people have the same experience?

Lored
Old March 17, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Depends of what kind of fertilizer.
Old March 18, 2007   #3
melody
Tomatovillian™

I give my seedlings weak fish emulsion when I transplant from the cells to pots. Nothing in the seed starting mix. They also get fish emulsion when I transplant to the garden.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Melody-some fish emulsion has a lot of nitrogen. I am not that familiar with it since my wife has forbidden use of it! But you might check the nitrogen content.
Old March 18, 2007   #5
melody
Tomatovillian™

I use a VERY weak solution...can't tell you the brand just now...it's out in the detached garage....away from living quarters....
Old March 18, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My extra seedlings that are still in 4" pots pretty much stopped growing, so that tells me they need some fert.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I use those large compressed bales of Pro-Mix for seedstarting; it doesn't have any added nutrients at all other than some limestone for ph balance, so I use a seaweed emulsion at about 1/4 - 1/3 strength for the first watering needed after germination.

Because I neglected to include that step in my seedstarting this year, my seedlings grew much slower than they did in the past. There was some minor yellowing as well; took me a while to figure out what I did wrong. Once I fed them, they perked up.

What kind and how much fertilizer did you use?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2007   #8
Earl
Tomatovillian™

My early tomato plants, the ones still all jammed up together in the fertilizerless seed starting mix all look better than the ones I transplanted into 4 inch pots with fertilizer in the potting mix. If I remember to do it I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #9
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Can somone please tell me- exactly what is fish emulsion and what is its estimated NPK rating, it sounds very good stuff as lots of you are often relating to it, but over here in the UK we do not seem to have any for sale.

We have fish,blood, and bone granulated fertiliser, we also have lots of seaweed liquid mixes, but no fish emulsion, ???
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #10
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
. . .There was some minor yellowing as well; took me a while to figure out what I did wrong. Once I fed them, they perked up . . .
Appreciate the post as I think that is my problem . Growth was good with just the Pro-Mix but two days ago the Early Girls started to yellow. Take a look:

Orange Pixies on the left, Yellow Canarys in the middle are doing OK but the EGs are washed out and the Matina, Glacier and Kimberly next to the EGs are looking droopy. Just watered them so I suppose it is better to let them dry out before hitting them with fertilizer?
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson View Post
Can somone please tell me- exactly what is fish emulsion and what is its estimated NPK rating, it sounds very good stuff as lots of you are often relating to it, but over here in the UK we do not seem to have any for sale.

We have fish,blood, and bone granulated fertiliser, we also have lots of seaweed liquid mixes, but no fish emulsion, ???
Michael, fish emulsions tend to have rather low NPK numbers overall, but usually have a proportionally higher amount of N. A common ratio for fish emulsion would be 5-1-1. From what I gather about how fish emulsion is made, it seems to generally be a liquidified byproduct of fish that are processed for meal and/or fish oil.

Personally, I tend to prefer seaweed emulsion myself as it is more NPK balanced, and I have three cats. Don't want them to take a special interest in my seedlings.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #12
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I bought some kelp meal this year would that work better when I transplant than a weak fish emulsion?

LoreD

Last edited by LoreD; March 20, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
LoreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

A seafood emulsion. Is that like fish stock?

Some people like seaweed (kelp), some people like fish. Generally on my seedlings I use kelp. Then later on I use fish. Not really sure why. One of those gardening things that can't be explained. hehe
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #14
melody
Tomatovillian™

My fish emulsion is 5-1-1...and smells like a cannery. I dilute it 1 scant teaspoon to a gallon of water for seedlings. The dog thinks it's grand, and wants to roll in my tomato plants.

It does have a high nitrogen content...but I use it sparingly.
Old March 19, 2007   #15
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

In 20 years I have not used a fertilizer of any type on seedlings...When they start to look lighter green, it is generally about time to plant them in the ground...I know there are different situations and sometimes weather etc., might prevent planting out on time, but I have found the plants will green up and take off pretty fast again...Seems a lot more trouble is caused by over fertilizing and watering than plain neglect...I will admit I tried a seaweed foliar spray 2 years ago...Don't know if it helped , but I guess I felt better for doing it...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote