Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 25, 2011   #1
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 week old seedings?

I am a 2nd year tomato grower. I started from seeds. My present seedings are just over 2 weeks old and 1 1/2 to 2" inches tall. I give them 12-13 hours of light per day. I am using a spray bottle to water daily. 50% 0f my growths are bent over (12 plants) about 50% but are just growing their first "true leaves" about 2 days ago. Sorry.......no pictures yet. Any guesses why they are "bent over" about 50% ........? They are all growing but very slow IMHO. I lowered the light to 5 inches away 3 days ago with almost no difference to the plants. No plants have died......I would just like them to straight-up and continue growing bigger My soil temperature is 82-84 degrees at the soil level through my digital temperature meter. All ideas are appreciated here. >>>>>>>>Talon
Old April 25, 2011   #2
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

water on side of container.....spray 7 squirts, put light just above plant....

what KIND of lights? Have a sunny area anywhere?
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like they may be leggy. This can be caused by low light and/or high temperatures.

What kind of lights are you using? Fluorescent tubes should be 1-2" above the plant tops and on for 16 hours per day, so you may not be giving them enough light.

A soil temperature of 82-84 is pretty hot for tomato seedlings. Try adding a fan to your light timer to keep them cooler. This will also help make the stems stronger.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #4
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
water on side of container.....spray 7 squirts, put light just above plant....

what KIND of lights? Have a sunny area anywhere?
I have a very high Lumen florescent light (horseshoe shaped bulbs) made for growing plants through water (aquarium lighting) All plants were fine from seedlings last March with the same lights.......this season.......they are bent over 50% but still growing Maybe I am pushing the panic button too early here. I am growing in old ice cube containers just like last season with great success >>>>>>>> Talon
Old April 25, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

A picture is worth a thousand words and would be a great tool to help you, but I do have a question.

Are you using a heat mat? and is it still on?

The reason I am asking is that once plants germinate you should turn off or remove the heat mat. I am not sure of the why behind it all, but any time I leave the heat mat on after the majority have sprouted I have noticed the plants will get too leggy and be top heavy and fall over.
Old April 25, 2011   #6
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

I had a couple get top heavy and fall over early on - I used a bamboo skewer stuck in the soil to prop them against. After a little time with some help standing up, they were fine on their own. Don't know if that helps at all, but just a thought.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #7
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words and would be a great tool to help you, but I do have a question.

Are you using a heat mat? and is it still on?

The reason I am asking is that once plants germinate you should turn off or remove the heat mat. I am not sure of the why behind it all, but any time I leave the heat mat on after the majority have sprouted I have noticed the plants will get too leggy and be top heavy and fall over.
I agree that a picture is worth a "thousand words" I used NO heat mat.........I will find my camera and post pictures in the next day or two to get rid of the guessing game here. Thank you so much