Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Default ...And the first sprout is up!

And the winner is.....

Livingston's Favorite

Go figure.. I actually wasn't sure if this would germinate. This seed was originally sent to my wife (then G/F) in NSW australia a little more than a year ago, along with a number of other varieties... she started some seeds of a few, but for some reason left these alone. When she came back here with me in Feb, we brought what was left of the seeds with us. I had my doubts as to whether the x-ray machines, etc.. might mess with them... looks like they came through just fine.

...By the way ... Thanks for those seeds, Patrina

So anyways, the first seedling is up, sort of. The seed coat appears to be stuck, but I moistened it thoroughly before I left the house today and so I'm hoping it will work itself free.

I'm anxious to try out Favorite.
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Eric,

How are those seedlings doing? I'm particularly interested in knowing about the BBH. Are they 'wispy'?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

How are those seedlings doing? I'm particularly interested in knowing about the BBH. Are they 'wispy'?

The BBH, ah, it just occurred to me that those are Brad's Black Hearts. Right?

I'm going to try and spend more time in this Forum and the Disease Forum from now on out if I can sit here long enough in my computer chair. If not, I'll continue to concentrate mainly on the General Discussion Forum as I have been doing.

And there just weren't too many threads here I could speak to that hadn't been spoken to adequately already when I peeked in here today.
Old August 14, 2006   #4
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Alas, the BBH seeds have not germinated.. I'm quite saddened by this one..

I have sown an extra two of the seeds in the hopes that at least one of them will pop up, but so far, nothing

At this point, the ones that HAVE germinated are:

Tomatoes:
Livingston's Favorite (1)
Pineapple (1)
Mortgage Lifter (1)
Super Marmande (3)
Delicious (3)
Black Krim (1)
Green Zebra (1)
Tiny Tim (2)
Zelinda's Pink Pear (1)
"Pepper" Grape (1)
Celebrity F2 (2) - For curiosity sake
Nature Sweet F2 (4) - For curiosity sake
Early Girl F1 (5) - Finishing off an old pack of seed
Golden Jubilee (12)
Brandywine (13)

..and Peppers:
Habanero (3)
Sigaretto Di Bergamo (1)
Orange Toro (2)
Cayenne Long Thin (2)

Why so many Jubilee and Brandywine? I am having a garage sale in a few weeks and I am hoping to sell some of the extras to help pay for the costs of the new raised beds, etc.. I expect to sell 10 each of these two, plus a couple of the Early Girls, and maybe a Habanero. 8)

The ones that have not yet sprouted:

Brad's Black Heart
Ildi
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Reisentraube
Rouge De Marmande
Black Cherry
Blondkopfchen
Green Giant
Seed from a very flat, very fluted, RL 'brandywine'
..and a couple others I can't remember at this point in time.

...at this point, I'm very happy to have the seedlings that HAVE sprouted, as this will be the biggest garden, BY FAR, that I've ever had. Granted, some are kind of 'everyday vanilla' but I can't complain. I've got most colors represented here and a pretty good mix of flavor. I have, at this point, approximately 30 tomato plants and about 8 or so peppers plants to go into the raised beds - to me, that's a good number, and a massive increase over previous years.

I'm thinking I MAY try to start a few more seed sometime this week, but I haven't decided yet. I suppose it will depend on what sprouts up within the next few days..

...any suggestions?

- Eric
Old August 14, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I notice several cherry types in your "didn't germinate" list. I went through the same thing. I planted a second batch of these seeds rediculously shallow. I took tweezers and arranged a little pile of 3-4 strands of peat moss on top of each seed and I misted well every day and gave special attention to the cherries.

I got zero germination the first time, the second time I got about 50%. So I'd plant 2-3 seeds per cell and plant VERY shallow.

You may also try the wet paper towel in a ziplock trick. Lightly mist a paper towel, arrange seeds on it, close it up in a ziplock, and put in a warm place for 2-3 days. Plant the sprouts in soil like normal. You might have to cut out the paper towel around the seedling but it will dissolve over time.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon
...any suggestions?
Try sowing the seeds more shallowly. Many times, this is the problem.

Temperature -- You wouldn't be trying to germ them outside, would you? I've attempted that before for fall crop, and it was just too hot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The seeds basically sat outside in the brutally hot weather (95-105f) and rotted. Inside should be fine this time of year depending on what you keep your a/c set at.

Seed starting mix -- Are you using a good seed starting mix or just potting soil?

(PM me about the BBH and GG if you need a few more.)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #7
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Try sowing the seeds more shallowly. Many times, this is the problem.
Yeah - I generally try to watch my seed depth carefully, but with the move and everything being so new here, I've been a little lax and just tried to 'get it done' so to speak.. some seeds went in at odd depths.

As far as seed-starting medium.. I've been using pretty much the same thing I have always used in the past with good luck - Plain old Walmart potting mix. In the past, if I got it moistened up right and put it in the starting trays right, I was getting 90 to 100% germination on just about everything. Again, I think being in somewhat of a rush to get things going might have contributed to some compaction, as I've noticed a few containers seem pretty solid.

As far as heat - I've been trying something a little different this time, since I've got a house now, and a garage with it. I've been getting the seeds sown in the containers, left them inside in the laundry room cabinet for a day or so, then put them outside in the garage overnight. When I first started out, I wasn't getting much germination, then I put one of the trays in the garage overnight, and the next day... POW!!! Tons of little sprouts.

I think on one of the trays though, I forgot to take them in one day and they might have cooked a tiny bit.

Also, it appears 2 of my seedlings may be on their way out.. One of the Brandywines, and the only Zelinda's Pink Pear.. the little cotyledons have shriveled up and gone dry... dead, huh?

Now.. on to the good news...

I have 3 eggplant sprouts.. just went and checked tonight and I've got 3 good ones up, and what appears to be a 4th. What luck! Oh yeah, these are Black Beauty.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier.. I have a mango sprout that's about 4 days old Odd looking thing too. Has anyone else ever tried growing a mango from a pit?