Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 13, 2007   #31
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Flowers certainly seem optional for mine. The website where I bought my seed potatoes shows flowers for the particular kind I planted. All I got were some buds that never opened. But it's ok, because I'm still getting potatoes.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2007   #32
houseodessey
Tomatovillian™

Duajones-I'm just excited to see potential flowers. The two comments are totally unrelated. Sorry if I caused any confusion or worry.
houseodessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #33
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

PINK potatoes!

Plus Straight Eight Cucumber -- harvested from 4 square feet of garden space

The Spent Seed Potato

If I had it to do over, I would definitely do more hilling and plant deeper, and fewer plants in the same area. I may also cull multiple sprouts off of 1 potato down to 2. When I pulled up the seed potato with 5 plants off of it, it had the smallest harvest of them all.

Now that I've got the potato bug -- NOT THAT POTATO BUG -- I want to grow more varieties!!

Last edited by feldon30; April 24, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #34
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

They look great, Feldon! My first little leaf just popped up yesterday from Russian Banana. And then there were two more leaves this morning. I guess once it starts, the process moves along pretty quickly.
Old April 24, 2007   #35
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I also did not wait for the plants to yellow and wilt. I figured I'd harvest a 4' worth and see what's under there. I can probably wait until it gets hot (May 1st-15th or so) which lowers the quality of the potatoes.
Old April 24, 2007   #36
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Nice work Feldon! The foliage on my potato plants are beginning to look bad, so I may be dumping that can pretty soon. I can only hope its contents will be a pleasant surprise.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #37
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, Feldon! I'm still trying to figure out how long I should wait to pull my potatoes.. you're making me anxious
Old April 24, 2007   #38
houseodessey
Tomatovillian™

Your potatoes are very inspiring, Feldon. Thanks for posting the pics.
houseodessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #39
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking I have huge room for improvement. 2-3 potatoes per seed potato sounds paltry to me.
Old April 24, 2007   #40
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Great Pics....Feldon...u Learned somethin.....too.

You Had....some good spuds underway...they sho are Good tastin, if we pull up a few that size...but you can grow some Market Keepers, by hillin an Patience.

Learnin...is the Fun of the Game...))) My potato bed here is so whacked out now, i caint even tell ya...what kinds we have growin in it. but i do know this...they are Flourishin...and...its jus a hillin an Waterin game...now.

Growin potatos...is a Joy...i place it akin to a Child's wonder in growin a Radish. There are many people that state...that growin a potato, somehow...Purifies the soil. I know this...when i see the big fat earthworms bein Happy...upon inspection...i Have to believe that...)))

Hill...at Will...)))
Old April 24, 2007   #41
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
If I had it to do over, I would definitely do more hilling and plant deeper, and fewer plants in the same area. I may also cull multiple sprouts off of 1 potato down to 2. When I pulled up the seed potato with 5 plants off of it, it had the smallest harvest of them all.
And you said earlier that you got a late start as well; that almost surely made a difference. I think it's early Feb in your area. Even in Ft Worth, I started mid-Feb (and protected tops from frost if need be).

I'm not sure about removing multiple sprouts; never heard of anyone doing that. Did you see this suggested somewhere? But then I'm no potato guru, maybe someone will weigh in on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Now that I've got the potato bug -- NOT THAT POTATO BUG -- I want to grow more varieties!!
Heck, you've got me wanting to grow some potatoes now. Maybe in the fall.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #42
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Suze...a potato eye that shoots up one, ....or 2 ...sprouts...will make...a Large tuber (s)...if it throws up 5 or 6, then they all gonna sorta compromise w/each other, except in Optimum growing condition, and the yield will be Numerous, yet small in size.

5 or 6 shoots aint bad...if the growin Medium can support it. But in average situations, 2 or 3 shoots...will give a Happy Yield, an some Nice ones...)))
Old April 25, 2007   #43
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3 View Post
Suze...a potato eye that shoots up one, ....or 2 ...sprouts...will make...a Large tuber (s)...if it throws up 5 or 6, then they all gonna sorta compromise w/each other, except in Optimum growing condition, and the yield will be Numerous, yet small in size.

5 or 6 shoots aint bad...if the growin Medium can support it. But in average situations, 2 or 3 shoots...will give a Happy Yield, an some Nice ones...)))
Gimme, thanks for the clarification and explanation.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #44
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Some points about potatoes
1. You can grow them in straight compost or grass clippings or leaves, soil optional - lay them on the ground and cover them thickly.
2. You can hill them as many times as you want but don't hill more than a couple of inches at a time.
3. Just dig under them to get new potatoes, it isn't necessary to pull the whole plant.
4. When you buy them most sets will have no more than 1 or 2 eyes - also put them in a bag with some sulphur and shake them up before planting. They should dry for a day or two if you cut your own.
5. If you are going to harvest your potatoes completely, knock down their tops about a week to 10 days before you plan to pick them. Commercial growers sometimes use Round Up to knock them down before harvest. I think they plan on about 16 potatoes for each plant. (I don't think I have ever got this many.)
6. Don't always save the small potatoes for seed. You will end up with all small potatoes. Almost all potatoes are propagated by tuber. I believe they cross readily if you even get seed.
My opinions only.
Happy gardening,
Tom

Last edited by tomakers; April 25, 2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Just forgot something
tomakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #45
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I looked for any advice saying to reduce the number of sprouts per seed potato to 2, but didn't find any. Nonetheless, it seems logical that this would increase yield.