Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 23, 2011   #1
strax
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Ribbon Bush snap Beans.

I received my sandhill preservation catalog, only to find that "blue ribbon" is not available this year.

This is by far my favorite bean. It is a great producer and has a unique flavor that i haven’t found in other beans.

I've haven’t been able to find any other source for the beans. If anyone knows of another source, pls let me know.

thanks,

strax
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #2
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

You mean you DIDNT save any seeds from what you grew?
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #3
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I think my wife and life would be happier and easier if I didnt save seeds from every gosh darnoodley things i grow.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #4
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

strax,

If you are a SSE member there appears to be two other members offering it.

What do you like about them? I might become a source if they are good.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #5
strax
Tomatovillian™

Thank You, it is good to know that they are out there!
i didn't think of SSE. I am not a member. How can I get seeds? I've been looking for other sources for the beans for a few years. I usually buy enough for 2 years in case they are unavailable. Unfortunately, my first planting last year rotted out from all the rain and I had to replant.

The flavor of Blue Ribbon is fantastic. They are great for fresh eating and they are super tender when cooked. They are also forgiving in regards to picking time; i can pick them early or let them go a little too long and they still taste great.
Old January 24, 2011   #6
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I should probably clarify, that ordering these beans would be only for members and non-members can not order from the member only Yearbook of SSE, which is different from their public catalog.

Quote:
What do you like about them? I might become a source if they are good.
What I meant by this comment was I might order some of these beans this season, and try saving enough seeds to offer you some seeds next year and/or offer as well in the SSE Yearbook. It would be a one year wait though is what I am saying, sorry for the confusion!

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #7
strax
Tomatovillian™

Hey Dean, I did catch your meaning the first time. I hope you do decide to become a source for the Blue Ribbon Bush Bean. It is too good to fade away!

Tom, three of my blue ribbon plants from last year grew as pole beans and I did save seed from those to see if I would get a stable pole version of the bean, which would be awesome.

I have googled many times for another source for this bean and found nothing. However, when I did a search for, blue ribbon bean seed savers exchange, I finally did find a source!!

http://www.treeandtwig.ca/