Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 4, 2011   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Red rippers turning yellow and crispy

Help! My red ripper peas are turning yellow and the leaves are getting a little crispy. They have a few blossoms but aren't setting. They still seem to be growing and the vines are huge, probably twelve feet long if you count going up the twelve foot trellis and going back down, wrapping back into it.
Is there anything I can do to save them? I've been watering about every three days. They did recently lose their shade source when I removed the gigantic corn on the east side, the corn was about twelve feet tall.
Wondering if this could be a nutritional deficiency? The soil is rather shallow, it's a new raised bed and the soil sort of "shrunk" through the season. It's now only about 3 inches deep. They have acess to the ground underneath but I noticed when I pulled the corn and squash that it didn't really root into the lower soil, probably because it's so compacted still.
Should I give it some fertilizer, kelp, more water? It's been really, really hot this week, although the long beans on the same trellis don't seem to care. They're pumping out beans like crazy, despite having to survive a serious aphid infection, which the red rippers never got.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Well, I started deep irrigation and that did the trick, along with some high phosphorous fertilizer. Still very few blossoms but the yellowing is gone and lots of new growth. I hope I get some peas soon!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote