Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 7, 2011   #1
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you think they will germinate?

I left a row of Jade bush beans to dry out for seed for next year, but they are still pumping out new beans and seem determined to not go to seed properly for me (one of the reasons I love them so, besides their fabulous flavor). Anyhow, it is getting colder/wetter/windier here and I need to get that bed planted to my garlic. I went ahead and pulled them and shelled out the largest beans - they were still green, can't really say they were close to dry.

Now, if I let them dry well, is there a chance they will germinate next spring?

halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #2
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Usually you have to leave them unshelled to finish ripening up to use as seed. For bush beans the usual way to get them to ripen up for seed if you can't wait is to pull the whole plant when it has some mature, part dry ones and let them dry all the way on a sheet in the shade before removing the pods and shelling. That's what you have to do with pods that shatter easily like some teparies.

I don't know that shelling green will work - they may shrivel up on you as they dry.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #3
halleone
Tomatovillian™

That's kind of what I thought/was afraid of. They weren't even thinkling of drying up, and I was afraid they would rot, now that it has suddenly become Late Fall, practically overnight.

I guess I could let these dry and later this Fall soak a few of them, or pot them up and see if they germinate. I'll be pretty bored by early Winter.....

Thank you for your reply.

Lynn
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2011   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
I left a row of Jade bush beans to dry out for seed for next year, but they are still pumping out new beans and seem determined to not go to seed properly for me (one of the reasons I love them so, besides their fabulous flavor). Anyhow, it is getting colder/wetter/windier here and I need to get that bed planted to my garlic. I went ahead and pulled them and shelled out the largest beans - they were still green, can't really say they were close to dry.

Now, if I let them dry well, is there a chance they will germinate next spring?

I've yet to have a "green" shelly germinate, but I've only tried a few.

When you said you "left a row of Jade bush beans to dry out for seed for next year", did you pick any of the early pods?

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote