Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 15, 2012   #31
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tania, I just had a taste, saving it for tonight and tomorrow and another starter. Yes, Iliked them both, the thinner one reminds me of a breakfast drink that was served on the overnight ferries that went to Europe from the UK..quite familiar.

Thank you again.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #32
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It was a great pleasure to share these with you Jeannine!

The thinner (Filmjolk) yogurt is a Scandinavian yogurt, so I am sure it is known in Europe better than here. Somebody told me that scalding milk will make it a bit thicker, but I have not tried it yet - I figured why do that if I already have the thicker one?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #33
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

As mentioned before, if you strain it in cheese cloth you can make yogurt cheese. My whole family loves it with crackers or chips.
Old February 15, 2012   #34
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I want to try the thinner one as basis of a sauce to use with chicken breast..garlic and whatever flavourings, much more healthy than cream which I would normally use. Serve with rice.

The thicker one I plan to use as a dessert one with fruit added and maybe just a touch on cinnamon.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #35
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
It was a great pleasure to share these with you Jeannine!

The thinner (Filmjolk) yogurt is a Scandinavian yogurt, so I am sure it is known in Europe better than here. Somebody told me that scalding milk will make it a bit thicker, but I have not tried it yet - I figured why do that if I already have the thicker one?
You don't have to fully scald it. I bring it to 185°F (85°C) and then back down to 110°F (43°C) before adding the other ingredients. But this is because I like a smoother thicker version.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #36
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

for the thermophilic Bulgarial yogurt I bring it to 160-180F and then cool to 110F. I get very smooth and thick yogurt.

For Filmjolk, I'd think you'd need to cool it down more before adding the culture, as it is Mesolithic and works 70-78F. I think 110F may kill the active yogurt bacteria.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 16, 2012   #37
salix
Tomatovillian™

Tania, may I ask when you received your starters from Cultures for Health? I had gotten an order together and have just now been told they do not ship to Canada (due to previous delays at border and customs etc. resulting in unhappy customers). Needless to say, am disappointed since they also carry a vegan yogurt starter which could have been used with coconut, soy or nut milk. Dang!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #38
Tania
Tomatovillian™

last Thursday. I had them shipped to our US PO box and then my husband drove there to pick them up. They do not ship to Canada, unfortunately

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 16, 2012   #39
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
As mentioned before, if you strain it in cheese cloth you can make yogurt cheese. My whole family loves it with crackers or chips.
It turned out absolutely great, I loved it!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 16, 2012   #40
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I want to try the thinner one as basis of a sauce to use with chicken breast..garlic and whatever flavourings, much more healthy than cream which I would normally use. Serve with rice.

The thicker one I plan to use as a dessert one with fruit added and maybe just a touch on cinnamon.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine,
I was thinking about a similar thing: marinating chicken in yogurt and spices (like tandoori) and then baking is along with the marinade.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 16, 2012   #41
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I make lots of yogurt from goats milk. I use a store bought organic yogurt starter/culture to add, and pour into quart mason jars, put into a large crock pot set on low, for about 8-12 hours.. Sometimes in summer, I will fill a bucket with very warm temp water, set in the mason jars of yogurt, and stick bucket in my GH all day, then in evening, I will gently strain it, then it is ready to put in fridge to chill. It is not as thick as the store bought, a little thinner..But I like it that way.

I have made the thicker yogurt using powdered milk before, but didnt like the taste as well.

As a side note I have tried to add fresh lemon juice to mine before and it ended up curdling my yogurt..I think it is best to add afterwards..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote