Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old April 22, 2013   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Please share your Enchilada & hot sauce recipes

My family loves enchiladas and this is my first year gardening so I'm intetested in making my own sauce and hot sauces. I went overboard on starting seeds and want to be sort of prepared for what to do with all the peppers and tomatoes. Thank you
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Master Hot Sauce recipe from Bon Appetit:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...#ixzz27yUFsbng

I like this recipe a lot. In the end, if the sauce is too thin, you can simmer it on the stove to remove some of the water and concentrate the flavor. You could also make additions like mango or other sweet flavorings.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #3
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

I make a green enchilada sauce that everyone loves! I don't think it would be safe to can, but I have definitely frozen several batches that thawed beautifully. The recipe below is enough for one 9x13 dish of enchiladas, but the recipe double, triples or even quadruples wonderfully! Our favorite enchilada filling for this sauce is pulled chicken, sweet corn, jack cheese and adobo seasoning.

Green Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:
1 pound of tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut in half
3 poblano peppers, seeds and stems removed, cut into quarters
2-3 jalapeno peppers, split ( you can remove the seeds and ribs if you don't like things spicy)
1 large sweet onion, cut into quarters
5 large garlic cloves, skins removed
about 3 TBS olive oil
1 TBS brown sugar
1 large bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
Kosher salt to taste

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. on a large rimmed cookie sheet combine all ingredients from the tomatillos through the olive oil.
Place in your oven and roast until vegetables are softened and charred in spots.
Dump the contents of your cookie sheet into your blender along with the brown sugar, cilantro and salt to taste.
Blend on high until very smooth. Add a little water if the mixture is too thick. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Cool and freeze or use immediately.

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #4
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Those both sound great! Thanks! Anyone else have some awesome recipes?? My mouth is watering lol!
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #5
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

We love this one (hard to find a Mollie K. recipe we dislike). The eggplant almond enchiladas are surprisingly tasty! The Mexican red sauce is great on any kind of enchiladas though. Simmer down it to your desired thickness. Black beans and Quinoa are a great side dish.

http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...ant_enchiladas

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote