Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 19, 2010   #1
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Default Bread Machine recipes?

Just got a new bread machine, and was curious if anyone had any favorite recipes to share?
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #2
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Enjoy your new bread machine. I got my wife one several years ago for Mothers Day. I used it so much that she finally hid it from me to keep me from using it. She never learned how to use it. Don't know where it is to this day.

I found several excellent bread machine cookbooks in the cooking section of Books-A-Million. Please think of me me when you' enjoying yours.

Missing my wife's bread machine,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matertoo View Post

Missing my wife's bread machine,

Paul

Sounds like its time for a "To Paul...From Paul" gift for Father's Day.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

If you have been a baker, use your new bread machine to process the dough (dough settings) & then shape & bake the dough in your oven. Better shape usually than the bread machine. Add the ingredients in the order your bread machine manual recommends. Mine takes dry first & then wet.

I love this recipe that uses the technique I described -

Nut, Seed & Fiber Bread

2 loaves
Ingredients Directions
  1. Follow directions of your bread machine for order to add wet & dry.
  2. Mix first five ingredients (the dry) in a large bowl & then put in the bread machine (mine loads dry first).
  3. Mix next three ingredients (the wet) & add to bread machine.
  4. Load the yeast (my machine has a dropdown for yeast - if yours does not, simply mix yeast in with the dry ingredients).
  5. Process on "dough, raisin" & add last four ingredients when the bell sounds (if no "raisin" option add these ingredients halfway through last mixing in your machine.
  6. ***may be made by hand using same ingredients, kneading to a nice elasticity, allowing to rise warm & cover for 90 minutes, then kneading an additional 10 minutes, then proceding as below.******.
  7. Divide dough into 2 portions, slash tops several times with a razor-sharp knife. Allow to rise 30 minutes. I like to brush the tops with heavy cream before making the sllashes - entirely up to you.
  8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 35 - 40 minutes - until clean knife inserted to center comes out clean & they sound hollow when tapped on bottom.

Last edited by stormymater; February 19, 2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: cut & paste not so good
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Parmigiana, Kalamata Olive & Sun-Dried Tomato Bread (Bread Machine)
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons oil that tomatoes are in
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups white bread flour
6 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup diced Kalamata Olives
1 teaspoon dried basil (1/2 tsp fresh)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 Tblsp Parmigiana cheese
Add Water, Salt, Flour, Lemon Juice, Powdered Milk, Oil, yeast. Add remaining ingredients last 3 minutes of final knead cycle. If you are making rolls (which is what I usually do, I take the dough out at end of 2nd knead cycle. Roll into 2" balls and place in Pam sprayed muffin tins. Bake 30 minutes at 350. I just keep checking them.
These freeze beautifully and it is so handy to pull a few out of a vacuum sealed bag or ziplock. Otherwise, allow your bread to cook in your machine. This is a dense bread.
Old February 19, 2010   #6
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Wow you guys make gourmet breads, LOL. Well I read my directions and my machine has a delay timer built into it, so I just put all the ingredients in there for their reccommened beginner loaf, lol, to be ready to have fresh bread in the morning. I'll keep these recipes to try later on once I get used to it more.

Love the idea I can make breakfast breads at night and have them ready in the morning as well as making bread in the morning for dinner. Will be great with my crazy schedule! Next day off, cinnamon rolls!!
Old February 19, 2010   #7
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

The recipe for Three Seed Bread on the back of the Bob's Flax Seed package is really good, and quite easy. (NOT flax seed meal, just the unprocessed seeds.) You can also find it here:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=950

I usually make it with just flax seed and poppy seed, to keep the cost down. Of course, that makes it Two Seed Bread. I take this to potlucks, with butter, and people love it.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #8
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I have had my trusty bread machine for 18 years - lots of experimentation time. Here's an easy peasy one -

Seedy Buttermilk Bread

2 loaves
1. Load bread machine dry, wet & yeast according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. Use dough cycle.
3. At end of cycle, remove dough, divide into 2 loaves (greased pans or free form on parchment paper dusted with cornmeal. Can let them rise overnight in fridge or cold room if you want.
4. Let rise until nearly double then slash tops - about an hour. I usually cover them with a thin towel.
5. brush with a beaten egg & 1T water if you want a glossy loves.
6. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Alternatively 1/2 the ingredients & run it through your bread machine all the way through.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #9
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. Got my first loaf of plain ol unhealthy white bread cooking now, will be done in 20 minutes. Will move on to a "summer wheat" bread tomorrow.

I've dappled with making bread without a machine, done okay at it, but sometimes loaves would be wonderful, sometimes just ok, and sometimes they plain sucked. LOL.

I think a big part is re-training ourselves. My husband (and to be honest, me too) have grown to like the texture of store bread for sandwhiches, the light, airiness. All homemade bread I've made seems so much denser....
Old February 20, 2010   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
Thanks guys. Got my first loaf of plain ol unhealthy white bread cooking now, will be done in 20 minutes. Will move on to a "summer wheat" bread tomorrow.

I've dappled with making bread without a machine, done okay at it, but sometimes loaves would be wonderful, sometimes just ok, and sometimes they plain sucked. LOL.

I think a big part is re-training ourselves. My husband (and to be honest, me too) have grown to like the texture of store bread for sandwhiches, the light, airiness. All homemade bread I've made seems so much denser....
YT...I use my machine to make pizza dough al the time. EASY and fast! It's great because you can add parmigiana or herbs to the crust. I let it knead and rise and knead and then take it out.
Old February 20, 2010   #11
beeman
Tomatovillian™

We recently switched to whole wheat flour, getting rid of white processed flour was necessary.
We did find that the whole wheat recipes supplied by the bread maker weren't very good, stodgy and stiff. Just replacing the flour quantity with whole wheat 'best for bread' made a super loaf, as good as any white bread.
Finally, we replaced the sugar with honey. Makes a good loaf which doesn't go stale as quickly as sugar does.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #12
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmmm. Not terribly impressed with my first loaf. First of all, it seemed to rise too much. I followed the directions in the bread machine book and measured everything real careful, but it rose up to the point the loaf was touching the little window and the part touchin the window didnt cook!

Also, the crust is pretty tough... had to kinda rip it apart with my teeth, lol.

I think I need practice?
Old February 20, 2010   #13
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

When my recipes touch the top, next time I leave out two tablespoons of water, and that usually solves the problem. You'll find every recipe is different.

And if you'll wrap up the loaf in plastic wrap the crust usually gets softer. If not, it's not you who needs the practice -- it's the person who wrote the recipe!

The mixes they sell in the store work great, by the way.

Me, I need to find some gluten-free recipes and give those a try. This year wheat has become a problem. *grmbl*

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #14
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
Also, the crust is pretty tough... had to kinda rip it apart with my teeth, lol. I think I need practice?
Our machine has different settings for the crust. We've found the only one we use is the first settings, otherwise the crust is too hard.
Might I suggest you look for a different setting than the one you first used. Also you might consider using honey as the sugar source, it does make a lighter crust.
Finally, milk instead of water makes a better lighter crust.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #15
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

In general, milk rather than water, and honey rather than sugar, will make a crust which tends toward the soft and chewy rather than the crisp side. I second the suggestion to mix in the bread machine, and bake in the oven.

That said, tell me if you want a really good part-whole wheat raisin bread. It's a favorite with our family, even little kids, and when I take it still warm to office or class, it disappears.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote