Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 17, 2007   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default carrots

Yesterday I was pulling some of remaining carrots. The shoulders looked good but some were only 2", some were split to the core, some were huge. What causes the splits? We have had several freezes but they are fairly well protected. No rain for a month maybe that contributes to the split. The variety is chatnuey (sp) and danvers half long. The soil was double dug and has lots of compost worked in over the years. Thanks - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2007   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

piegirl,

I've been told that supermarket carrots (in the clear bags) split because of drying out. So, your problem sounds like a lack of water.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2007   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I found this,

Carrot taproots are prone to longitudinal tissue fracture (splitting). This study examined the underlying mechanism of carrot splitting and assessed leaf trimming as a treatment to abate its incidence. The radial growth of carrot taproots was monitored using linear variable differential transducers. The diurnal growth pattern of taproots was characterized by an increase in diameter during the nighttime, shrinking slightly during the daylight hours before expanding again approaching dusk. Splitting susceptibility (SS) of taproots was strongly linked to the pattern of growth. SS was highest during periods of taproot radial expansion (pre-dawn and dusk) and lowest during periods of shrinkage (middle of the day). Partial defoliation of carrots reduced the net daily radial growth of the taproot and also reduced the level of splitting when applied to commercially grown crops prior to harvest.

And this,

Advice

Splitting of root vegetables

There's nothing more frustrating than going to lift your long-awaited carrot crop to find that half of the roots have split open. Here are some tips as to why it happens and how you can avoid it recurring.

Carrots and parsnips are nearly drought proof on good soils, but like beetroot, radish, and other root crops they can develop split roots when they receive irregular moisture levels. Summer thunderstorms after long periods of drought can cause the root to take up a sudden increased volume of water. The root then splits open as the skin cannot cope with the sudden surge in growth. This can lead to secondary infections such as bacterial soft rots making the roots virtually inedible.
Free-draining soils such as sand or chalk can pose the greatest challenge, and so the addition of plenty of well-rotted organic matter to increase the soil's moisture retentiveness can help deter the problem, as can increasing crop spacings. Regular watering is also essential where soils are not very moisture retentive to ensure a steady growth rate.
Give the rows a thorough soaking every two weeks initially, rising to every week as the roots near their harvest stage (allowing for rainfall).
By ensuring that the plants never fall short of water, you should be lifting perfect roots for the rest of the season.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2007   #4
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
linear variable differential transducers. .

Worth

I have to admit, this sounds more like one of my DH's fishing magazines!!!
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd dig up this thread to report my success with carrots. Here's what I picked today. These were harvested from an area approx 4' x 8'. These were Nantes and Red Cored Chantenay which are both 4-6" half-length varieties. The larger carrots in the picture are 6" x 1". Can't wait to taste them!

I cut off the tops (leaving about 1" behind) and they filled three quart size Ziplock bags. I hope that's the best way to keep them fresh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrot montage.jpg (618.7 KB, 59 views)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Feldon if you haven't tasted fresh home grown carrots before, you are in for a real treat.

As for the ziplocks be careful if you keep them too long they will rot .
But you know that already.
I have left them in water in the refrigerator with good results, just change the water daily.
For the best flavor eat them today.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008   #7
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrots

Feldon,
If you can find those pale green produce bags, they allow the carrots to breathe so they stay fresher longer than if stored in the ziplocks. I found mine in the natural food store. You will pay much more for them but they can be used over and over. Just rinse out after each use.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice. If I am out I'll look for those produce bags!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2008   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Those carrots look delicious, Feldon. If you can't find the breathable bags you can use the ziplocks and punch some holes in them.

I harvested several dozen carrots myself yesterday. I'm growing Mokum, Nelson, and Napoli. They are all wonderful--sweet, crisp, healthy. (I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a store-bought carrot as a fresh, out-of-hand carrot again.) I still have carrots in the ground. I try to cover them up with a deep layer of straw if I think the ground is going to freeze.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote