Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7936
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What does a man eat that has been making and sampling salami all day?
A glass of wine and a slice of nut/fruitcake.
Contrary to popular belief I only had two long drawn out nursing beers during the entire salami making extravaganza.
You cant drink and work with meat at the same time and get anything done.

Worth

I haven't looked at the fruit cake thread, but I've only eaten one fruit cake in my life that I liked. Most seem to be all cake with little fruit and they are heavy like lead. The one I really liked was all fruit and heavy with nuts and lots of dates and only enough cake to glue everything together. I've never found it again.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7937
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Okay, never mind; I've read the "fruit cake" thread now! For the first time ever I've been really wanting a good fruit cake this upcoming holiday season.

When I was a kid, I used to make something called either "date cake" or "date loaf". I haven't seen the recipe in many, many years, but I remember rolling the loaf in a damp "tea" towel and refrigerating it for a day or two before slicing it.

Does anyone besides me remember when kitchen towel/s were called tea towels?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7938
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I haven't looked at the fruit cake thread, but I've only eaten one fruit cake in my life that I liked. Most seem to be all cake with little fruit and they are heavy like lead. The one I really liked was all fruit and heavy with nuts and lots of dates and only enough cake to glue everything together. I've never found it again.

That should've been in the FC thread. BOO for not reading it!!! You would fit in with the crowd.

Back to cheap eats......

Grilled cheese, not pan fried. Pre-toasted on french bread.

George loves me, melts the heart of my sammie and toasted my buns perfectly!

I had to eat 3 of these and next time I'm adding that Yankee thing and serving it with tomato soup. No offense to those above I-10, I just never heard of that till I googled it. I'm taking recommendations on the soup of choice or a good recipe!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3368.JPG (212.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3370.JPG (266.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3371.JPG (323.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3376.JPG (207.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7939
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Okay, never mind; I've read the "fruit cake" thread now! For the first time ever I've been really wanting a good fruit cake this upcoming holiday season.

When I was a kid, I used to make something called either "date cake" or "date loaf". I haven't seen the recipe in many, many years, but I remember rolling the loaf in a damp "tea" towel and refrigerating it for a day or two before slicing it.

Does anyone besides me remember when kitchen towel/s were called tea towels?
Kitchen towels are several types of towels made of different fiber and weaves.
Being.
Dish towels for drying dishes.
Tea towels for drying glassware and fine china because they are lent free.
Hand towels for hands.
Counter towels to mop up spills.
At one time our country had a little class and whats left of it is going away fast.
Very fast.
At one time class was an action and a persons bearing.
Now it is how much money you can make and show off.
That is not class, actions are.

I guess I will leave it at that.

Worth
Worth1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7940
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Your correct worth,

Growing up with five brothers and sisters in a one bedroom house taught us "class" was something you worked to attain. It wasn't something you could sit on a counter and brag about. It was more about how you lived your life.

We only had one type of towel in our kitchen. We called them tea towels. They were a white linen towel in a rectangular shape.We used them for everything from cleaning up spills to drying dishes. We didn't worry much about which towel to use for drying fine cut glass or china because we didn't have any to worry about.

We didn't have any crystal serving dishes to worry about either because in our house, food was served from the same pot or pan it was cooked in.

I will always remember trying to figure out what to get my mother for mothers day when I was a kid with one dollar in my pocket. I was so proud of the package of tea towel's I wrapped for her. She seemed proud that I was thinking of her.

I'm not sure I could tell someone where to correctly place all the cutlery, towell's and dishes at a formal dinner today, but our children could tell you. I am sure I really don't care.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7941
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

Your sandwich looks great with the grill marks. I had one for lunch yesterday, but it was constructed differently with a layer of jalapeno slices and a layer of pickle slices between two layers of cheese. Grilled to perfection in a cast iron pan. A bowl of tomato soup worked perfectly with the sandwich. I had a cold for a couple of days and haven't wanted to eat much. Eating the sandwich and soup meant I was ready to get up and go again.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7942
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, I'm definitely not a Yankee(no disrespect to those of you who are). I can trace southern heritage over 200 years. Got made fun of my 2 years in the Midwest because of my southern ways. I've always eaten a grilled cheese sandwich with some kind of soup.... usually tomato.

I looked at a Turducken recipe for the Thanksgiving menu... nope. Not this year. Too much work. I think I'm going to make the Turkey spatch cocked this year. I'm wondering if you can cook duck and goose this way as well. I know you can chicken. I've done so....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7943
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can spatchcock a duck or goose. The cooking temps and times are what you have to monitor.

You can order a turducken from a few stores here. It's expensive and I wouldn't pay those prices but it's an option.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7944
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember the name of the Cajun meat market on the highway just south of Lafayette going towards Abbeyville. They used to make great Turducken, but it was pretty expensive twenty years ago.

The real trick of Turducken is de-boning everything without tearing it apart. When you slice a turducken like a meatloaf, you get a little of all the meats without hitting any bone. The deboning is an art.

Last edited by DonDuck; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:11 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7945
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't remember the name of the Cajun meat market on the highway just south of Lafayette going towards Abbeyville. They used to make great Turduckin, but it was pretty expensive twenty years ago.
One of my very best long time friends is from Abbyville and I have been there.
He and I have grown old together.
And yes we have made sausage together.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7946
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's Abbeville with an e and the place is in Maurice, Heberts Specialty meats. I posted this place more than once on here. Ya'll getting old and losing memory, don't feel bad it happens to the best of us.

https://www.hebertsmaurice.com/
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7947
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
One of my very best long time friends is from Abbyville and I have been there.
He and I have grown old together.
And yes we have made sausage together.
If you worked in Prudhoe, you probably knew a lot of guys from Abbeville. Oil field guys were transferring from offshore rigs to Prudhoe and back to Abbeville constantly.

And Rajun, I'm not "getting old", I am old. I've already forgot more than most folks will ever know.

Last edited by DonDuck; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:41 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7948
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you worked in Prudhoe, you probably knew a lot of guys from Abbeville. Oil field guys were transferring from offshore rigs to Prudhoe and back to Abbeville constantly.
He worked there before I did for a wee bit.
I worked with him in south Texas in Freeport and about south of Houston.
We still converse to this day.

Worth
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7949
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And Rajun, I'm not "getting old", I am old. I've already forgot more than most folks will ever know.
I know how that feels, especially in today's society. Many things make me say "HMMM".
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7950
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Here is some cheap eating from west Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6N_x2eWNM