Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 16, 2012   #76
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Crandrew,

I'm curious about something! When I select a tomato variety that I want to grow, I usually research varieties other folks have tried and reported good results on. From those comments and my research, I determine what I want to grow. I'm usually not interested in growing a variety which has been produced and named by only one or two people. I prefer to grow tomatoes which have seed availability for many other people.

The two varieties you mentioned are totally unfamiliar to me. What is your process to select varieties to grow?

Ted
Ted-
My process for selection is identical to yours. I base my selection on folks collective experiences. The peppers were selected as I was searching through the SSE available seeds. Both of those varieties are actually pretty well known for being good and tasty producers. Well and sometimes you base your selection on emotional factors. Such as "my grandfather used to grow it" or "its from my hometown" or "I used to pick this variety as it grew wild from a volunteer my neighbor planted in the Forrest behind the house" etc.
As an example one of my choices this year was green zebra, then I read a few bad things about the plant and fruit. Luckily it got hit with disease so I replaced it with some late starts I had So partly I chose as i go, as my taste develop or as varieties are brought into spotlight by other members.
Some have reported bad results with Black Krim, but so far its by largest and most healthy producer...go figure.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #77
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is today's pick from my humble front yard.
Black Krim, Cherokee purple, pineapple, and mystery. I'm excited about the pineapple since its new to me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342485292.501818.jpg
Old July 16, 2012   #78
tedln

I would like to know how well you like the Pineapple. I grew them last year and I also grew Hillbilly which is a multicolor. I thought the Hillbilly and KBX both tasted better than the Pineapple.

Ted
Old July 17, 2012   #79
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would like to know how well you like the Pineapple. I grew them last year and I also grew Hillbilly which is a multicolor. I thought the Hillbilly and KBX both tasted better than the Pineapple.

Ted
Ok i sure will. I see many people growing KBX, so there must be something there. These are at minimum 12 oz, close to a pound.
Old July 17, 2012   #80
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Ok i sure will. I see many people growing KBX, so there must be something there. These are at minimum 12 oz, close to a pound.
My Pineapple tomatoes were not that large. If I remember correctly, mine were more like eight oz each. If I remember correctly, there were two different pineapple varieties. Maybe a PL and a RL.

Ted
Old July 17, 2012   #81
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

YES!!!
Look at this giant weighing in at 17.5 oz it's the yellow one seeds were pineapple. The rest are Cherokee Purple and a John Doe

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342574698.132511.jpg

And just a few bloody butchers

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342574746.971382.jpg

Well besides my cukes this season and the green zebra everything seems to be doing ok and producing well.
Old July 18, 2012   #82
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My Pineapple tomatoes were not that large. If I remember correctly, mine were more like eight oz each. If I remember correctly, there were two different pineapple varieties. Maybe a PL and a RL.

Ted
I must have gotten the other variety because it weighed in at 17.5oz. Its just finishing ripening and I will try it most likely this afternoon or Friday.
Old July 18, 2012   #83
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
I must have gotten the other variety because it weighed in at 17.5oz. Its just finishing ripening and I will try it most likely this afternoon or Friday.
My KBX fruits were also large like your Pineapple. They matured to a beautiful golden color. The amazing thing was all parts of the tomato were the same color. Even the gel in the seed locules and around the seed was gold in color. The Hillbilly was multicolor on the outside and inside with greenish colored get around the seeds. Everyone who ate the KBX said it was the best tomato they have eaten.

All of my red tomatoes dehydrated and remained red. Multicolors dehydrated a brownish color. Black tomatoes dehydrated a dark brown color. My KBX dehydrated to a beautiful golden color. It was the only fruit excpt red tomatoes that retained it's color in every application.

Ted
Old July 18, 2012   #84
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

wow, nice looking toms & peps Crandrew !!

Sadly I had to pull my toms from RKN and powdery mildew

Did have planty of harvest though
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #85
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

So here is today's pull some big rainbow, Cherokee purple, black Krim, John Doe and aji cristal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342970300.968191.jpg
Old July 22, 2012   #86
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh what wonderful looking harvest you are bring in. Can't wait till it is my turn, but sadly it will be a while...

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #87
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
Oh my gosh what wonderful looking harvest you are bring in. Can't wait till it is my turn, but sadly it will be a while...
So how do the grow seasons work in FL meadowyck?
Old July 23, 2012   #88
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

excellent garden this year for you Crandrew! Glad you had a great tomato year!
Old July 23, 2012   #89
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
excellent garden this year for you Crandrew! Glad you had a great tomato year!
Thanks its been quite a learning experience, but a fun one. Oh and I'm sure a never ending one at that.

Few more black Krim and Cherokee purple today. Some zucchini and Aji cristal peppers as well.