Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 19, 2013   #61
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Oh and those pictures are from the babies in post 1 sure grows quickly.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #62
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Last year i would spray my tomatoes and peppers with a combination of Actinovate, Exel LG and mollasses and then on a seperate day I would spray neem.
This year i'm growing a few crops that I have never grown before. Would you also suggest I continue my process on the other crops like, Peas, Beans, Turnips, cucumbers, eggplant etc?
I figure the answer is yes, but we normally talk tomatoes so I wasn't sure about the others.
Old February 27, 2013   #63
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Well based on my research and first time growing, I was half expecting my spinach to freak out and die. Seems to be doing well
Old February 27, 2013   #64
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

You've got spinach! Looks good!!

Regarding your previous Actinovate question, I spray everything in the spring and summer, alternating neem one week and actinovate/excel the next week. I haven't been spraying my greens this winter though, but I do scatter Sluggo around the plants.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #65
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
You've got spinach! Looks good!!

Regarding your previous Actinovate question, I spray everything in the spring and summer, alternating neem one week and actinovate/excel the next week. I haven't been spraying my greens this winter though, but I do scatter Sluggo around the plants.

Lyn
Sounds like we do things pretty similar. So far I haven't had to spray my greens.
Ok this weekend I will begin the actinovate and Exel LG on the peas. Thanks Lyn!
Old March 1, 2013   #66
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Spinach looks good Drew!!
I haven't had to spray anti fungal for peas- but I usually plant in fall. This year I started late, so will see. March is fungal time for peas here-so says the San Diego Mastergardeners tips.
Pulled some daikon, turnips last weekend, but beets & spinach aren't ready yet. Cilantro is already starting to bolt.

With all the sand in my yard, the slugs count is low with the aid of alot of decolate snails are keeping the numbers down- I don't even worry about em-though I do have issues with pillbugs and earwigs. Time to do the rounds of DE.
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #67
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio View Post
Spinach looks good Drew!!
I haven't had to spray anti fungal for peas- but I usually plant in fall. This year I started late, so will see. March is fungal time for peas here-so says the San Diego Mastergardeners tips.
Pulled some daikon, turnips last weekend, but beets & spinach aren't ready yet. Cilantro is already starting to bolt.

With all the sand in my yard, the slugs count is low with the aid of alot of decolate snails are keeping the numbers down- I don't even worry about em-though I do have issues with pillbugs and earwigs. Time to do the rounds of DE.
Tonio,
I think we are growing under very similar conditions.
Well, I think I'll just start spraying the peas just to be safe. You already harvested some turnips? Lucky, I planted mine late as they were an afterthought.
Are you going to post some pictures of your Spinach and beats?
What temps is the cilantro bolting under?
Old March 2, 2013   #68
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Well after going through 2000 revisions and plan changes, I decided to go ahead and build just a flat wall trellis/frame to hopefully accomodate some cucumber climbing with my Japanese and Mexico Sour Gherkin Cukes.
It turned out nice, if I do say so myself, but I'm not sure I like the placement.

Old March 2, 2013   #69
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

looks very nice

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #70
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Nicely built Crandrew! Your whole setup looks better every time you post.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #71
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

thanks. It's fun to watch it evolve and progress. Also the learning along the way is pretty fun. I'm anxious to try some turnips and peas, but those are a ways off.

Tonight I began germinating:

-Black from Tula
-Black Krim
-Green Grape

-Cocozelle squash

-PIngtung Long
-Lao Purple Stripe

Never grown the squash or the eggplant from seed, some I'm interested to watch these grow.
Old March 2, 2013   #72
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
thanks. It's fun to watch it evolve and progress. Also the learning along the way is pretty fun. I'm anxious to try some turnips and peas, but those are a ways off.

Tonight I began germinating:

-Black from Tula
-Black Krim
-Green Grape

-Cocozelle squash

-PIngtung Long
-Lao Purple Stripe

Never grown the squash or the eggplant from seed, some I'm interested to watch these grow.

Beware the eggplant take a long time to grow from seed. Or at least mine always do. I have them in the same area as my tomato starts and they usually are at least four weeks behind when I set my tomatoes out (after 6-7 weeks inside). But they always look good and I don't think I've ever lost one inside.

Colin
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2013   #73
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Colin for the heads up. I had read in my research about the slower growth.
Old March 6, 2013   #74
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few pics. Most of the kids are growing well but I have some spots on my turnips. Also some base leafs on the Amish snap peas are dying and shriveling off. I really didnt harden those off very well, so it might be that. Any ideas would be appreciated. I haven't started spraying yet.

Last edited by Crandrew; March 6, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old March 6, 2013   #75
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Everything is looking really good!! I like the trellis you built and the peas are climbing nicely. My peas are dying off at the base of the vines also. I just thought it was because they are the oldest leaves and vines tend to do that, saving all their resources for the growing tips. But, maybe someone with more experience will come along with more pea info.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote