Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 19, 2009   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloom Okra Trial Report

Interesting trial on Okra by the Kerr Foundation here in Oklahoma

http://www.kerrcenter.com/publicatio...kra-report.pdf

gary
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #2
Thawley
Tomatovillian™

Nice article.

As a novice gardener – that's just the sort of thing I look for to help me decide what to plant. I got only one okra variety with the rest of my Sand Hill order this year (admittedly an impulse buy like the Snickers bars near the register at the hardware store...) But that article has motivated me to add a couple others to the list for next year.

Thanks for the link.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I planted some Fife Creek this year; so I'll go and read your link Gary. Might be something there I can use.

Update: I read what the article said about Fife Creek. I'll see how mine does here. I've bookmarked this page so I can write a report at the end of this season.

~* Robin

Last edited by Polar_Lace; March 19, 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Updated
Polar_Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I didnt read the report entirely but in my short experience at growing okra, I have grown Clemson Spineless, Emerald and Louisanna Green Velvet. All of them approached 8 ft or better during their full growing season. Yield was probably best overall with CS, but Emerald and LGV werent far behind. I love okra and as far as taste goes I would probably give the edge to LGV. Overall productivity would go to Clemson Spineless with Emerald and LGV not being far behind. Harvest was easiest with the CS as it seemed to be the least spineless amongst the three that I have tried.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #5
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I was just placing an order to Sand Hill Preservation Center and had 1 on the varieties they mentioned in the article; could not resist I added evertender to my order. You sent the article just in time.
Thanks,
Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote