Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2019   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Planting in a different way

This could go in the Garden Diseases section, and I'm sharing this thread in the 'Containers Growing' thread that I started last year. I grew 4 extra tomato plants and six extra pepper plants in case they were needed as a replacements. One of the tomato plants was needed as a replacement. I chose Brad's Atomic Grape. Nothing different about growing backups.

In about an hour, it will be May 14 which is past time to replace tomato plants here in this part of Texas. Pepper plants have a 180+ day growing season here. So what to do with the 3 extra tomato plants and 6 extra pepper plants? That's where "Planting in a different way" is actually in the middle stage.

The first stage began last year. I'm one of those kind of people who cannot stand dirty dishes so I wash as I cook. I don't like weeds in my garden. When I saw a raised garden infected with RKN and FW3 - my thoughts were to just get rid of it. I was depressed and confused - and I let it go...with some different thoughts. Along the way, the weeds grew and they went to seed. I did nothing, and a sort-of winter happened - and I still didn't do anything. Then the spring weeds started growing in that raised bed. It was difficult for me to watch, but it is what I planned.

I planted out those extras today in amongst those weeds. Exactly what I have read not to do. I'm hoping the weeds have taken in their share of RKN. If it works, it does. If it doesn't work - I can say that I tried.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 14, 2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Kind of strange - it says that nobody read this thread. I posted it right after Tomatoville was back online. Hmm?
Old May 15, 2019   #3
PlainJane

Since they were spares anyway it will be a good experiment, with little downside.

Gardening is always surprising.
Old May 15, 2019   #4
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately nothing compares to the hardiness, aggressive roots and sheet dominance of the common garden weed.

One of life`s horrible facts is that what is absolutely incredible at growing outside without any aid at all and tough as nails, also happens to be useless and invasive pain in the butt
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I hope you're right, Salt. In all my research about nematodes there seem to be suggestions that, if you fallow 'tode beds to starve them, you keep them weed free as they feed on those roots too. So I'll be watching for your experiment results!

There's an article in my bookmarks on veggies that are resistant to nematodes.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/control...getable-garden

Now, resistance doesn't always mean "nema-proof". I'm going to test that when it comes time to plant cow peas as I ordered one called Knucklehull that is supposed to be resistant and it will be planted in a known infested bed.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes, that is what I have read too. Even solarize the whole bed like I did with our 45' x 45' garden - that turned out to be a waste of time and money.

It would be funny if planting them in a weeds filled bed works I'm not holding my breath.