Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2019   #1
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Default Supersweet 100 VS Sweet Million VS Sungold

Anyone grown two or three of them and can compare growth rate, eventual size, taste, earliness or anything else you noticed or observed etc....
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The first two are practically the same the second one advertised more disease resistance is all.
It is an unproved sweet 100.
If allowed to fully ripen to stop sign red they are sweet and tomatoy

Sun gold on the other hand has a more fruity (NOT TOMATO) flavor if allowed to fully ripen to orange and nothing like the other two.
Very prone to splitting with lots of rain and or water.
Flavor improves longer in the season with more heat and sunshine as well as the former two.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

In my opinion, the most important thing is taste. I think that Sungold can knock the other two (which Worth rightly says are very similar) into a cocked hat!

Sungold is earlier too, and the foliage smells divine. The only thing I don't like about SG is that I find the taste goes funky late in the season.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree. In my gardens Sweet 100, Super Sweet 100, and Sweet Million can grow a huge plant if you don't trim them. Sungold grows a more manageable sized plant.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #5
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Try sweet orange, I found that it doesn't split as bad as sungold,plus they are sweeter in my climate and soil,just my 2 cents worth. Otherwise identical.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #6
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Sungold tastes a million times better. Last year it produced like crazy here. But with the tiniest amount of rain the fruits crack.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #7
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Sungold is a more "viny" plant, and can go up to 15' or more, draping over whatever cages mere mortals can manage, and producing right up to frost. The flavor is amazing, very different from red tomatoes, sweet and fruity and delicious!

I grow a similar hybrid called Sun Sugar, in hopes that there will be less splitting.

Super Sweet 100 is a very nice red tomato, but I've grown it a couple times and it is a monster plant! It gets super bushy (4' wide) and it also will vine up forever, with bits trailing all over your garden and also producing right up to frost. I'm still looking for a more compact red cherry tomato plant to replace this, but I just don't have the space for it!
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #8
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Jasper is a very tasty/productive red cherry. You will need a big/sturdy cage though. It lasts until fall in South Central Texas and that's saying something.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #9
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddybill View Post
Jasper is a very tasty/productive red cherry. You will need a big/sturdy cage though. It lasts until fall in South Central Texas and that's saying something.
Not available in the UK unfortunately, there are a few things I cant get here.

Maxifort rootstock was also impossible to get, the main company selling it in Europe had 1000 seeds minimum order lol. Yea right like I need 1000
Old May 28, 2019   #10
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Fav Cherries

I like Orange Paruque(sp) then Sunsugar and then Choc Cherry.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

You will get as many different answers to this question as the number of people commenting.

Virtually all of the "sweet" tomatoes are relatively lacking in flavor. Sungold redeems itself by having an intense tropical fruit flavor.

I grow and prefer Hibor because it delivers intensely sweet fruit in a small pear shaped open pollinated tomato. I am working on a cross this year of Hibor to Swamp Sweet Orange which is a very similar orange pear shaped tomato with excellent flavor but not as sweet. If I can combine flavor with sweetness, the sky is the limit!
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Well if we're branching off into the subject of cherry tomato flavours that we like the best, I prefer Blush because it tastes fantastic, is readily available, and open pollinated .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #13
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Well if we're branching off into the subject of cherry tomato flavours that we like the best, I prefer Blush because it tastes fantastic, is readily available, and open pollinated .

Linda
Seems to be called "Artisan Blush Tiger" in the UK and says 70 days to maturity.

I only grow tomatoes that are 65 days or less now because the season is quite short here. Im sure last year my toms stopped ripening in early September because the weather went very flat and cool.
Old May 28, 2019   #14
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
You will get as many different answers to this question as the number of people commenting.

Virtually all of the "sweet" tomatoes are relatively lacking in flavor. Sungold redeems itself by having an intense tropical fruit flavor.

I grow and prefer Hibor because it delivers intensely sweet fruit in a small pear shaped open pollinated tomato. I am working on a cross this year of Hibor to Swamp Sweet Orange which is a very similar orange pear shaped tomato with excellent flavor but not as sweet. If I can combine flavor with sweetness, the sky is the limit!
That is interesting, good luck with the cross