Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2019   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Snakes and Leaves

There are no pictures of snakes that I have shared here.

Well, I used dried oak leaves in our 45'x45' garden for years to help keep the weeds from growing and other positive things. So I put leaves in our container garden this year. Last night, I killed a copperhead that was hidden in the leaves, and just a few minutes ago I raked out another snake - this one is a good one that eats bugs and slugs, but the leaves have got to go.

I need to come up with some sort of ground cover. Any ideas?

It would be wrong to tease by showing tomato plants without showing tomatoes too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01528.JPG (199.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01529.JPG (193.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01530.JPG (224.6 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 28, 2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add pictures
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #2
gothicgardens
Tomatovillian™

You could cover the ground with snakeskins.
gothicgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I did find three snakes today while moving the leaves - they were harmless Texas Brown snakes. The copperhead was very obvious to identify and only about a foot away from me at first. I didn't expect to see snakes in the garden because the leaves were only an inch or so deep.

Our mower fits the rows and a weedeater can get the rest of a growing groundcover. That's one thought.
Old May 28, 2019   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicgardens View Post
You could cover the ground with snakeskins.
the grandchildren would probably love that.
Old May 28, 2019   #5
PlainJane

Yikes.
Old May 28, 2019   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This shows the problem I was having with the cages going down to the ground, I chose the weediest bucket as the example (Picture 1)

This is cleaned up with the cage removed. It looks nice but without the cages the high winds would level the plants. (Picture 2)

My wife has some thick material that might be used as a skirting. It's an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01531.JPG (244.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01532.JPG (265.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01533.JPG (209.7 KB, 99 views)
Old May 28, 2019   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, about the snakes in just a few leaves on the ground. I would have a completely different garden if I lived in a place like that.

All kinds of clippings go under the shrubs in my hedges here where they act as mulch until they break down. So many worm castings under there. I never think about fertilizing and it all looks good.The only snakes are little garter snakes but they are getting scarce in town.
But if there were big snakes? Yah, bare earth.

Something I think about regarding weed eating and mowing around tomato plants is the dust that gets raised by the machines so I don't do it as much as I would like and use hand tools to cut what I can't tolerate. Surely the dust could be carrying the same things we don't want splashing up in the rain. It might be blight or spores of mildew in my garden. Maybe I worry too much?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Interesting, about the snakes in just a few leaves on the ground. I would have a completely different garden if I lived in a place like that.

All kinds of clippings go under the shrubs in my hedges here where they act as mulch until they break down. So many worm castings under there. I never think about fertilizing and it all looks good.The only snakes are little garter snakes but they are getting scarce in town.

Something I think about regarding weed eating and mowing around tomato plants is the dust that gets raised by the machines so I don't do it as much as I would like and use hand tools to cut what I can't tolerate. Surely the dust could be carrying the same things we don't want splashing up in the rain. It might be blight or spores of mildew in my garden. Maybe I worry too much?
I've thought about it too - the dust and all. For me, it's RKN and Fusarium wilt 3.
The leaves were working well. The snake was completely under the leaves until I got too close. It didn't scare me, but I instantly thought what if it had been my grandchildren that got too close.

I leave snakes alone except for poisonous ones. Copperhead is the one I have found here. I hear stories about rattlesnakes very nearby, but I haven't seen one on our property. Water Moccasins are in most bodies of water around here, but we don't have a pond or creek - just dry wash runoff.
Old May 28, 2019   #9
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post

I like

"..... we don't want splashing up in the rain. It might be blight or spores of mildew in my garden. Maybe I worry too much?"

and

"I would have a completely different garden if I lived in a place like that. "

I remember putting bird netting in my fig trees and "catching" snakes for the next three days. I'm still looking for a way to get my share of figs, but I am not using bird netting in my fig trees .

I would have a completely different worry if I lived in a place like that.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 29, 2019 at 12:02 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #10
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Ever thought about using used carpet under the tomato buckets. Pulled up carpet is often available from carpet retailers here
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Ever thought about using used carpet under the tomato buckets. Pulled up carpet is often available from carpet retailers here
My father put used carpet on the ground right before I moved here in late 1992. It's in a completely different place. It's still there, but you wouldn't know it was there as a visitor.
Old May 29, 2019   #12
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Shrinkrap
I remember putting bird netting in my fig trees and "catching" snakes for the next three days. I'm still looking for a way to get my share of figs, but I am not using bird netting in my fig trees .
Well, that's just too, too much! Do the snakes eat the figs or whatever comes to eat the figs? What kind of snakes?

We once 'caught' a duck in the heavy netting over the chickens' pen. It landed somehow and couldn't get out without some help. NO snakes were ever caught.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #13
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

The nets blew off the tree, and we caught a number of what I believe were "gopher snakes". There was probably much for them to eat, as I would probably be considered a "tree hugger". I'm sure I have pictures somewhere, but it was before I accepted smart phones and data plans. They made sounds like rattle snakes, and they drew my attention because of neighborhood cats that were messing with them.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOPHER SNAKES & RATTLESNAKES

https://animals.mom.me/difference-be...akes-4572.html

I am originally from NYC, and remember being so impressed with the wildlife employees that came by when I called,
and patiently freed and relocated them! They came three times! Gotta love California!? I do.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 29, 2019 at 04:39 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #14
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
The nets blew off the tree, and we caught a number of what I believe were "gopher snakes". There was probably much to eat, as I would probably be considered a "tree hugger". I'm sure I have pictures somewhere, but it was before I accepted smart phones and data plans. They made sounds like rattle snakes, and they drew my attention because of neighborhood cats that were messing with them.

I am originally from NYC, and remember being so impressed with the wildlife employees that came by when I called,
and patiently freed and relocated them! They came three times! Gotta love California. I do.
They are braver than me messing with snakes, the only dangerous snake we have is an Adder and has only killed 15 people in 144 years. The last being a 5 year old in 1975. But still it is feared here and people freak out if they see one lol.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote