Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 21, 2019   #1
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Default Just grew a Stupice from Victory Seeds. Not even close.

Granted, I only grew one plant, but the chance that I picked the one rogue seed is slim. The plant looks like Stupice, and is productive. Unfortunately, the size, shape, color, and flavor is off. Here's some pics. I've grown them for about 15 years, and ran out of seeds, so I bought a pack from Victory and TGS. Will try the TGS in the spring, and maybe Sand Hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191221_131708.jpg (102.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_132629.jpg (223.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_132655.jpg (136.5 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_132714.jpg (118.5 KB, 227 views)
Old December 21, 2019   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I can't tell for sure from your pictures, was it potato leafed? Some of the top leaves in the 2nd picture look serrated, but lowest ones look PL. I've had different sizes of Stupice fruit, usually small, but some of the earlier set ones are often a little larger, so I couldn't say that your red tomato is wrong. Did it bear as early as Stupice usually does?

Good that you have other seeds to compare next season.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019   #3
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it's potato leafed. The plant looks right, but the fruit is definitely wrong. As you can see in the one pic, it's almost as big as the palm of my hand. These tomatoes are large, lobed, and oblate. I've seen some Stupice that were a little big, but these are on steroids. The flavor is pretty distinct with Stupice, and these tasted ok, but just average tomato flavor, and not the Stupice flavor. Some more will be ripening soon, and I'm going to weigh them and get some better photos. I already contacted Victory, and Mike responded to me very quickly, and I'm sending him the info that I have. Granted, it is December and the flavor might be lacking a bit. I grew some from Knapp's last year. They were much closer to the real deal. Yes, it did bear early, as far as I can tell, but plants take much longer to mature here in December with cool temps.

Last edited by edweather; December 22, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019   #4
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I have also found problems with NA seeds being sold as Stupice - some are absolutely incorrect, while others seems to be the result of rather inferior parental selection techniques. I managed to get original Stupické polní rané seeds from CZ seedsmen Seva, Semo, Moravoseed & Sempra. For 2 seasons I grew multiple plants from these distributors and imho, they are all phenotypically similar.

If you want the real deal then Tatiana sells Stupické polní rané from Seva seeds provided to her by Vladimir, and I have found these grow true to what I have seen from the CZ originals. Be careful of the `Stupice' which she is selling since it is definitely not the same - they were sourced from WCS if I recall correctly.

Last edited by RJGlew; December 21, 2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Readability.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

They don't look like the stupice I grew 2 years ago.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019   #6
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Thanks RJ
Old December 22, 2019   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Edweather,
seeds from the fruits of this plant you kept? If so, I would be interested.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2019   #8
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I haven't kept any yet. Only one ripe fruit so far. I will save seed from future fruit. The seed should be good, because it's the only tomato plant I grew this winter.....no cross pollination. I will let you know when I have them.

Last edited by edweather; December 22, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old December 22, 2019   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

For comparison purposes, I've requested Stupice from Tormato/MMMM swaps several times, and he has been overly obliging with dozens of samples. Many come labeled just as Stupice so I can't speak to strains or origins. There have been subtle variations in first fruit to ripen, productivy early on and during peak season, and ability to produce into the hot summer. I grow multiple plants side by side (great early tasty tomatoes to me). Flavor and shape were consistent though.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2019   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps it's time for the expert, Vladimir, to explain the different "Stupiche" varieties.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2019   #11
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Perhaps it's time for the expert, Vladimir, to explain the different "Stupiche" varieties.
Vladimir did explain this fully a few years ago - it's in the TV history & should be searchable. He also revealed the tomato which north americans call "Moravsky Div" is simply CZ Stupické Polní Rané seeds which were sold in Russia, then sent to NA mistakenly as a new Russian variety. I know that news was not too well received by some folks who had raved about MD being infinitely superior to Stupické Polní Rané.

Last edited by RJGlew; December 25, 2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old December 24, 2019   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Since my seeds were mentioned I thought I'd comment. I've been growing Stupice since well before I joined TV. So not from a trade. I believe I first got my seed from Seed Savers commercial catalog. But I have gotten wrong seed from them in the past too. Back then I was getting most of my heirloom type seeds from either Johnneys or SSE catalog.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2019   #13
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Stupice but have to say that I never felt (my plants) lived up to the reputation of the variety.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2019   #14
edweather
Tomatovillian™

For anyone who is interested, this thread has more information than you could ever want to know on Stupicke.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...stupice&page=3

Last edited by edweather; December 24, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 25, 2019   #15
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
For anyone who is interested, this thread has more information than you could ever want to know on Stupicke.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...stupice&page=3
That is an excellent thread on CZ varieties, both OP and a number of hybrids.

I grow 3 CZ hybrids regularly now a) Start S F1 which for me has replaced Fourth of July F1, b) Toro F1 which is a Stupice x ? hybrid, and c) Uragan F1 which is super tasty. These all work for me since they are all very early. I wish I could try some of the later maturing CZ varieties, but my Zone 3a does not allow much over 70 DTM to mature.