Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2006   #1
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Default Local nurseries "invent" varieties

I went to a local nusery to see what varieties were offered and was suprised at some of the names. "German Johnson Yellow" and "German Johnson Striped." I told the nursery person they were mistaken. I was told "that's how we bought them." I'm betting "German Johnson Striped" is Hillbilly. I heard it referred to as that last summer. Not sure what German Johnson Yellow could be!

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It is not just nurseries - the number of named tomatoes mentioned here and there is likely far, far beyond the actual true distinct varieties, due to rampant renaming for any number of reasons - exclusivity, hype, profit, etc. It is very hard if not impossible to keep track of!
Old April 22, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dunkel,

You march right back there to that nursery and ask them where they bought the seeds for those varieties.

And if they tell you they bought the plants, you pry the name of the supplier out of them and then you contact that supplier and ask some in depth questions.

And if they tell you that THEY bought the seeds you find out and tell us.

And if none of them talk to you and give you decent answers you give us the e-mail and/or snail mail contact info and a few of us, I'm sure, ahem, will straighten them out, in addition to you.

And no, I wouldn't assume that German Johnson Striped is Hillbilly. Gold/red bicolors abound in the WV, VA, NC, SC, GA areas and go by any number of names. I think Keith said that one in NC was called Candystripe or something like that.

And my brother moved to NC last June and got talking to a neighbor who described what he grew, that from my brother's description sounded like a bicolor as well. And no name, just they always had grown it story.