Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old April 4, 2009   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Tomatillos

Wile shopping several weeks ago, I found some very fresh Tomatillos and decided I would make fresh salsa for a Taco Salad.
I volunteer a few days a week at my favorite nursery germinating a variety of seed -- tomato -- pepper -- Tomatillo. For some reason the last several years I have had problems germinating the tomatillo seed. So, when I made the salsa, I scraped fresh seed and ferminted them as I would my tomatoes and took them to the nursery and planted them. It only took a few days for them to germinate -- there must be a gazillion seedlings. I wish all the seed I try germinating did as well!
Old April 4, 2009   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Tomatillos grow nautrally in Mexico and other South American locales as "weeds" basically and they are everywhere. I have never had any problem getting them to germinate and in about a "second and a half" they outgrow whatever container they are in! I save 2 liter plastic bottles that I cut the tops off of. (like those coke, etc. come in.) I put 2 inches of soil in the bottom, add seeds and cover lightly. Once they germinate, I will keep adding soil until I am at the top of the bottle. In the garden, they are THE WORST sprawlers and I have to tie them up at least every other day (and you have to be careful and not use too fine of twine or it will cut the stalks like butter. They are not as tough as tomato stalk is.) When planted near other stuff, they just irritate me with their garden hogging capabilities!

Virulent re-seeders, either put down plastic under the plants or be dilligent about removing fallen fruit quickly. I have virtually unlimited space so my "'Tillo's" have there own little place quite aways a way from the rest of the garden. They share their garden plot with the other self-perpetuating species like Dill and my husbands Cherry Tomato plants. My husband calls their little plot "Purgatory"HAH!