Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2015   #16
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

If i've understood correctly, the dominant B gene will produce orange tomato regardless of alleles at R and Y locus ? If so, it is easy to produce an orange version of any tomatoes by introgressing the B allele in your choosen variety by recurrent backcrossing. It will only take a few plant (at least 4) each year and some hand pollination. Maybe the same is true with Del ?
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2015   #17
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
If i've understood correctly, the dominant B gene will produce orange tomato regardless of alleles at R and Y locus ? If so, it is easy to produce an orange version of any tomatoes by introgressing the B allele in your choosen variety by recurrent backcrossing. It will only take a few plant (at least 4) each year and some hand pollination. Maybe the same is true with Del ?
There are some interactions between the mutations. The dominant B gene converts lycopene into beta-carotene, so lycopene (red) has to be present. If you have a yellow tomato with the B gene, you might get a subtle shift in the color, but I wouldn't expect it to produce an orange matching that seen with a red genetic background. The Y gene is responsible for yellow-vs-clear skin, so shouldn't impact the B gene products.

It should be easy to select for the presence of B, because it is dominant. But it being dominant may make it hard to select for the absence of the wild-type version of the gene that it can hide. If you're lucky the heterozygous B/b plants will look slightly more red when compared to the homozygous B/B plants.

My impression is that Del (Delta-carotene) produces a red-orange color that is not so distinct, so may take some practice to properly select for.
Old December 13, 2015   #18
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Ok so it is better to bred orange B from a red tomato. Should be easy to select homozygous by growing enough plants (at least 4 i guess) for each of the selected orange fruited plants, and keeping groups with all orange fruited plants
Old December 13, 2015   #19
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a sound plant. I once read the process of using plant families like that to be called "power breeding", as it gives you more power in the breeding process. It lets you isolate homozygous dominant traits faster than you would just by continuously culling the homozygous recessive plants that would crop up. I don't recall where I came across the term, however.

Edit: Apparently the term was coined by Carol Deppe. I found a blog post talking about using the technique in eggplant breeding. (https://toads.wordpress.com/category/eggplant/)

Last edited by Darren Abbey; December 13, 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #20
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Yes i think she calls it "power imbreeding"
Old January 1, 2016   #21
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
… There is less-common dominant mutation that results in orange fruit. It is supposed to be present in: "Caro-rich", "Podorok Fei", "Jaune Flammée", "Caro-Red", "Big Orange", and "USDA 97L97". It is probably in a few others, but if your orange variety isn't in this list, you're probably dealing with the tangerine mutation. …
There are two kinds of Big Orange tomatoes, apparently. One is supposed to be a bicolor. I imagine that isn't the one with the Beta Carotene gene. Is the one at Tomatofest the one with the Beta Carotene gene? Or, where is it? How do you know it has the Beta Carotene gene?

Last edited by shule1; January 1, 2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old April 14, 2018   #22
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I know this is an older thread, it just came up when I was doing a Google search on Orange Pear tomato.
Just sowed a variety of this name this spring, I hope it is worthwhile

The vendor I purchased it from called it determinate, while another vendor calls it indet.. Any experiences yet anuone?

Andrey..? any reliable knowledge about Grusha Oranzhevaya?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #23
imp
Tomatovillian™

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Aladdin%27s_Lamp

AKA Aladdin's Lamp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. I know about Aladdin's Lamp, but the one I have, seems to be smaller, growing in clusters of cherry size fruits..
Old April 14, 2018   #25
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hmmm. I know about Aladdin's Lamp, but the one I have, seems to be smaller, growing in clusters of cherry size fruits..
I'd like to ask where you got your seed, as I have a fondness for the necked pear tomatoes and perhaps can purchase the seed that you bought to try it?

That was a convoluted sentence!
Old April 14, 2018   #26
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Imp: My seeds were purchased from Nikitovkaseeds via ebay last year (a vendor I find quite reliable, all I ever bought from her was as described) and it's described as det...

Another vendor is Tomato Eden, with slightly different info - claiming that it's indet after all.
http://tomatoeden.com/?593,orange-pear-cherry
Old April 14, 2018   #27
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!

Tags
color , orange , pear tomatoes , tangerine , tomatoes