Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old January 31, 2009   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default seed starting temps?

How hot is too hot for soil temp while starting tomitillo seeds? I am hoping I did not fry mine. Luckily did not plant all so have some left just the same takes alot of effort to start seeds once much less twice. I accidentally fell asleep leaving my non temp controlled heating pad for a back on high. bottom of containers look ok but plastic top has slight melting look on the very tip edges of the corners. I also had hot peppers and tomato seeds in same situation. I think I probably ruined tomato seeds. I am not sure about peppers. but not a clue on the tomitillos
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I am guessing but I would think that 85 would be okay and maybe even 90 (if it was not sustained) but over that has to be bad for them. I start my Tomatillos at 75 (and my tomatoes) Someone more scientific than I should be able to tell you (and on this forum there is no lack of them.)
Old February 4, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I like to keep the air temp at about 90*-100* for peppers and 80*-90* for tomatoes. That's air temp and I think soil temp is 5-10* less. I will often get germination in 3-5 days for tomatoes and 5-10 days for hot peppers. Here is a page at my web site that shows how I do it.

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....enhouse06.html

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2009   #4
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

great picture and good infor,thanks for sharing.
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2009   #5
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am starting to think that all is not lost. I thought I saw one tomitillo trying to poke it's head up as well as a couple of the tomatoes. They have not come out totally but looks like they are trying to. Also thought I saw a little pepper but it could have been my immagination. Probably need to buy a magnifying glass
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2009   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention in my other post that even if the temps were a bit high for a while, as long as the flat or whatever they are in doesn't DRY OUT, things will probably be OK.

Drying out can be what will kill germinating seeds especially when using small flats like 288s or smaller.

I only have 2 flats of some dwarf tomatoes going right now. But you can see the dead area in 1 flat that marks the light bulb that was on the shelf underneath when I didn't get to water them in time. Yup even us long timers goof up at times.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote