Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 15, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to replant?

It will be 2 weeks this Sat. That I planted Cubanelle pepper and nothing has sprouted yet. Is it time to replant after this Sat., and if so can I just add seeds to the tray that has the old seeds that haven't yet come up?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #2
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I started with new trays.

Some varieties take a VERY long time. Providing heat speeds up the process. Those seeds you planted 2 weeks ago may still be waking up.

I am not familiar with cubanelle specifically, but I planted about a dozen, and each has its own timeline it seems. Some are 1 inch now, others no sigh of a seedling.

Hope this helps--im new at peppers.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Replanting in the same cells has worked for me in the past. Cubanelle germination for me at 85F has been around 10 - 14 days. A site http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/conte...lle-pepper.htm Estimated germination time under optimal conditions: 2-6 weeks
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

The worst week of the entire gardening season is the third week after seeding
without a sprout.

I started a 1010, 42 cell tray a few weeks ago, and only one sprout after 10 days.
Dead center. Took another week for a few more....now 90%. Takes patience.

Yet, to avoid the trauma of waiting, I always start another tray for insurance. Or at least
a six cell insert a week or two early....and another a week or two later.

(I'm running out of real estate)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice this Sat will mark 2 weeks I'll wait til Wends. before I reseed, I sure hope they sprout this along with the already up Shish-itos will mark the first time I've tried anything but bell pepper type plants so I really want to compare them side by side.
Old March 16, 2018   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm going on four weeks since I started my pepper seeds, and about half have sprouted. Every couple of days another one pops. This is why I start them so early.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #7
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Well I replanted the Cubanelle Sat. I carefully probed the 4 sections of the 8 section tray and found the seeds had not sprouted. Took extra care in re-seeding so we'll see in a week or two if I get any Cubanelle peppers to sprout if not I wont try a 3rd time. The Shis-ito peppers are doing very well and getting their first true leaves and I'll have more than enough peppers.