Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2018   #226
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I'm moving sometime in April so I have to give away the micro plants.

Grew 5 of the antho and 5 of the silver fir. They are all consistent, except one anomaly. One of the antho is exhibiting a more multiflora trait than others. I will try and save seeds from this one before I go. The fruit in the last photo, wonder if it will be ready to save seed in less than 3 weeks time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_143811.jpg (566.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180322_130701.jpg (557.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180322_125633.jpg (467.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 22, 2018 at 01:56 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #227
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

What does everyone do with their extra micros? Can I donate them to other gardeners or should I toss them? I have saved the ones I want to grow out, my family has some, but there are still a few extra and they look so nice. Hate to throw them away.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #228
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyC-5 View Post
What does everyone do with their extra micros? Can I donate them to other gardeners or should I toss them? I have saved the ones I want to grow out, my family has some, but there are still a few extra and they look so nice. Hate to throw them away.
Do whatever makes the most sense to you. I throw lots away. I don't have enough neighbors to get rid of them all - and they already think I'm nuts.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #229
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I'm moving sometime in April so I have to give away the micro plants.

Grew 5 of the antho and 5 of the silver fir. They are all consistent, except one anomaly. One of the antho is exhibiting a more multiflora trait than others. I will try and save seeds from this one before I go. The fruit in the last photo, wonder if it will be ready to save seed in less than 3 weeks time.
If it's not ready, take a cut-ling of it and put it in water right before you leave. You can grow it still this summer and it might give you fruit late fall.

It's easy to take cut-ling's and I've just put them in dixie cups with water under a grow light. Within a week or so they'll grow all these roots in the water and will be ready to pot up...

Quote:
Do whatever makes the most sense to you. I throw lots away. I don't have enough neighbors to get rid of them all - and they already think I'm nuts.
Dan, your such a micro pusher

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #230
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Nice batch of F6 going. Half are the small dark cherry and other half the large dark.
About 8-9 weeks now. (I'll come across the seed map with start date eventually)
All are under 6inches but very broad now, wider than tall. May just need a chopstick
once fruiting to hold up the weight.
So far none are shooting up...all staying short. Just the way I like 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro feb 15 2018.jpg (587.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg march 31 2018.jpg (460.7 KB, 103 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #231
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

What lines of the Follette micros are you growing out Oakley?
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #232
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed today that in a flat of multiflora micros, I have three that look exactly like my Tumbling Tom plants. I believe they have the cascading foliage gene. I am excited about these plants, as they may be "the ideal micro" for a hanging basket, as well as a chance for me to contribute something back to Dan's breeding efforts.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #233
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Nice batch of F6 going. Half are the small dark cherry and other half the large dark.
About 8-9 weeks now. (I'll come across the seed map with start date eventually)
All are under 6inches but very broad now, wider than tall. May just need a chopstick
once fruiting to hold up the weight.
So far none are shooting up...all staying short. Just the way I like 'em.
They look great Oakley! Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I just noticed today that in a flat of multiflora micros, I have three that look exactly like my Tumbling Tom plants. I believe they have the cascading foliage gene. I am excited about these plants, as they may be "the ideal micro" for a hanging basket, as well as a chance for me to contribute something back to Dan's breeding efforts.
Exciting, Cole! Keep an eye on them. If it turns out they do, please send a seed or two my way. What line and generation are they? What characteristics do they show - and at what stage of growth are you seeing it? Perhaps I've ignored something worth keeping.

I could ask a bunch more questions - height - fruit size - color - flavor - etc.... Have you received any feedback from customers you've sold plants to?
Old April 1, 2018   #234
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
What lines of the Follette micros are you growing out Oakley?
Sue
11X-F4-6-2 and 11X-F4-6-1
Attached Images
File Type: png d'follette micro.png (957.6 KB, 88 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #235
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
11X-F4-6-2 and 11X-F4-6-1
How tall do the plants get and what size of pot do you grow them in?

The color come from the Margaret Curtain in their pedigree. Do they have green shoulders like Margaret Curtain? In my experience, varieties that exhibit green shoulders usually are more flavorful.

Last edited by dfollett; April 1, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old April 2, 2018   #236
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default 45X-F3-2

Hi Dan and other micro growers!

Just checking in to see if it's time to cull this batch of seedlings, sown on 3/15. Since it is an F3, all the tall ones should go, right? Then I'll look to save the ones which leaf out at the shortest height and check also for stem sturdiness? Culling = Hard

The cotyledons of some seem to be getting pale so I'm not sure if they don't have enough space (in about 1" of mix and 1" or less from neighbors in all directions), or if after 3 weeks they might need some ferts. New Project = Worry

Thanks for guidance,

Kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45X-F3-2.jpg (140.8 KB, 71 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #237
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'll welcome other opinions, but I don't think the tall ones are non-micro. I would transplant everything into six-packs and watch the growth from there. I don't think you can identify micro vs non without seeing growth of multiple leaf nodes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #238
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'll welcome other opinions, but I don't think the tall ones are non-micro. I would transplant everything into six-packs and watch the growth from there. I don't think you can identify micro vs non without seeing growth of multiple leaf nodes.
Thanks for weighing in, Cole. I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see.
Old April 2, 2018   #239
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Cole may be right. I'm sure there are some that start tall but have short internodes between stems and stay small, just like there are those that start small then take off after they put out a set of blossoms - but I think they are the exception.

On F2s & F3s of crosses with indeterminates, I sow lots of seed and cull heavily before the first true leaves show up. In those generations I plant them fairly densely and don't have the time/space to pot them all up to avoid missing the exception. Planted densely, the true micros end up not doing well because they get overshadowed and don't get the light and space they need to thrive. Mine are usually planted more densely than yours. Yours appear to have plenty of room for a while yet. As long as they don't interfere with each other, the longer you wait to cull, the more accurate you will be. That also pertains to when you plant them out or into their final pot. I give them more time as seedlings and also more time in their first pot than regular indeterminates. They stay much manageable and the extra time gives you more information to make your decisions.

It really depends on your situation. You'll eventually get callous and snip away with ease.....

Last edited by dfollett; April 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old April 2, 2018   #240
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Cole may be right. I'm sure there are some that start tall but have short internodes between stems and stay small, just like there are those that start small then take off after they put out a set of blossoms - but I think they are the exception.

On F2s & F3s of crosses with indeterminates, I sow lots of seed and cull heavily before the first true leaves show up. In those generations I plant them fairly densely and don't have the time/space to pot them all up to avoid missing the exception. Planted densely, the true micros end up not doing well because they get overshadowed and don't get the light and space they need to thrive. Mine are usually planted more densely than yours. Yours appear to have plenty of room for a while yet. As long as they don't interfere with each other, the longer you wait to cull, the more accurate you will be. That also pertains to when you plant them out or into their final pot. I give them more time as seedlings and also more time in their first pot than regular indeterminates. They stay much manageable and the extra time gives you more information to make your decisions.

It really depends on your situation. You'll eventually get callous and snip away with ease.....
Ok, thanks, Dan- I'll give them some more time before I decide. At the same time I sowed your seeds, I decided to sow all the other known varieties of micros I had on the same day so as to compare them all. However, I put the known varieties in 72-cell 6 packs to start and had to pot them up once already. The difference in size can be seen below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7638.jpg (284.9 KB, 65 views)