Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2018   #1
roper2008
Tomatovillian™
 
roper2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Bch, VA (7b)
Posts: 1,153
Default What peppers your growing for 2018

If anyone would like to share their list. I like to see what peppers others are growing.
This is mine so far. In no particular order.

Brazilian Starfish
Shi★★★★o
Mini Piperka
Zapotec Jalapeno
Chilhuacle Negro
Peruvian Red Rocoto (already germinated)
Friariello Di Napoli
Jimmy Nardello
Elephant trunk
Ajvarski
Golden Cayenne
Serrano Tampiqueno
Jalafuego Hybrid
Himo Togarashi
Manganji
Yatsufusa
Takanotsume
P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet(germinated)
Aji Amarillo Grande(germinated)
Aji Dulce (germinated)
Aji Arnaucho(germinated)
Aji Largo(germinated)
Aji Limo Rojo(germinated)
Thai pepper
Also going to try and germinate some older seed from The Chili Pepper Institute.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,509
Default

I grow 12 pepper plants each year, 2 per 5 gallon bucket. Since moving to buckets a few years ago my peppers have been great--big healthy plants with loads of peppers. I'm the only one in the house that likes hot peppers so I grow mainly sweets, with a couple hots I use for cooking, salsa, and sandwiches.

Aji Amarillo (small ones)
Serrano
Poblano Gigantea (2)
Yummy Orange (3) mini orange snacking pepper
Yummy Yellow (2) mini yellow snacking pepper
Yummy Red (2) mini red snacking pepper
Orange Sweet Twister Pepper (seed saved from a Sunset produce pepper), long, crisp, sweet pepper.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™
 
roper2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Bch, VA (7b)
Posts: 1,153
Default

The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.
They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.
yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.
I agree, orange are the best. Yellows are a close 2nd. Red are my least favorite, but still good flavor, but walls are thinner than the orange and yellow.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.
Ditto
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™
 
Fred Hempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunol, CA
Posts: 2,214
Default

Just because fruit color, shape and size "grow true" does not mean that the peppers are OP.

Both parents of a hybrid can have very similar peppers but be different in any number of other traits that may be subtle (eg. disease resistance).

Since I can find over 5 reputable seed sellers that sell them as F1 hybrids, I think it is very likely they are.

Of course it could be a conspiracy between all of these seed companies, but personally, I doubt it.

I know there have been charlatans who have sold OPs as hybrids in the past, but I think many folks now are too quick to assume malfeasance when there is none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.
Fred Hempel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Just because fruit color, shape and size "grow true" does not mean that the peppers are OP.

Both parents of a hybrid can have very similar peppers but be different in any number of other traits that may be subtle (eg. disease resistance).

Since I can find over 5 reputable seed sellers that sell them as F1 hybrids, I think it is very likely they are.

Of course it could be a conspiracy between all of these seed companies, but personally, I doubt it.

I know there have been charlatans who have sold OPs as hybrids in the past, but I think many folks now are too quick to assume malfeasance when there is none.
I reckon I learned something today. I never would have thought of peppers growing true, at least in phenotype could still be a hybrid. But it makes sense. I don't have much of any disease pressure on my peppers so I don't know about those aspects. I guess for my purposes I consider them OP, they are consistent from year to year and always delicious.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #10
MdTNGrdner
Tomatovillian™
 
MdTNGrdner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Since moving to buckets a few years ago my peppers have been great--big healthy plants with loads of peppers.
2017 was my first year trying peppers in containers, and they did very well - although to be fair, so did the ones in ground. It was my best pepper year, and yes jmsieglaff, I did make hot sauce. No tips or tricks for you except that it's well worth it to have the homemade stuff - DH and I loved it! I just used an internet recipe and mixed peppers, mostly habs. I'm excited to try again this season.

Like SalsaCharlie I'm cutting the number of tomato plants, but not number of varieties. We have two new beds but added potatoes, sweet potatoes, more peppers, and a ton of beans... I'm really excited about those, too.

Here's my pepper list - provided they germinate! I still had trouble with that last year.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Escabeche
Ajvarski
Alma
Anaheim
Ancho 101
Arroz con Pollo
Banana, hot
Banana, sweet
Caloro
Chilhuacle Rojo
Congo Trinidad
Corno di Toro, red
Cosa Arrugada
Cowhorn
Cubanelle
Datil Sweet
De Bresse
Doe Hill
Dolce de Espagna
Espelette
Fehrer Onzon
Frank's
Fresno
Friariello
Fushimi
Garden Salsa
Golden Treasure
Guernica
Habanada
Habanero
Habanero, chocolate
Habanero, pink
Himo Togarashi
Hot Portugal
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno, Craig's Grande
Jalapeno, Early
Kaboutermutzen
Leutschauer
Manganji
New-Mex Big Jim
New-Mex Heritage 6-4
New-Mex Jalmundo
New-Mex Joe E Parker
New-Mex Twilight
Ophelia
Oranzhovoye Chudo
Ozark Giant
Pasilla Bajio
Peppadew
Peppadew, S.A.S.
Pepperoncini
Poblano
Round of Hungary
Serrano Huasteca
Serrano Tampiqueno
Shi★★★★o
Sweet Pickle
Takamatsume
Tolli's Sweet
West Allis 1/2 Sharp
Wisconsin Lakes
Yatsufusa
Zavory
Zolotoy Dozhd
__________________
~Bee
MdTNGrdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #11
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™
 
Salsacharley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,854
Default

Beautiful list!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
2017 was my first year trying peppers in containers, and they did very well - although to be fair, so did the ones in ground. It was my best pepper year, and yes jmsieglaff, I did make hot sauce. No tips or tricks for you except that it's well worth it to have the homemade stuff - DH and I loved it! I just used an internet recipe and mixed peppers, mostly habs. I'm excited to try again this season.

Like SalsaCharlie I'm cutting the number of tomato plants, but not number of varieties. We have two new beds but added potatoes, sweet potatoes, more peppers, and a ton of beans... I'm really excited about those, too.

Here's my pepper list - provided they germinate! I still had trouble with that last year.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Escabeche
Ajvarski
Alma
Anaheim
Ancho 101
Arroz con Pollo
Banana, hot
Banana, sweet
Caloro
Chilhuacle Rojo
Congo Trinidad
Corno di Toro, red
Cosa Arrugada
Cowhorn
Cubanelle
Datil Sweet
De Bresse
Doe Hill
Dolce de Espagna
Espelette
Fehrer Onzon
Frank's
Fresno
Friariello
Fushimi
Garden Salsa
Golden Treasure
Guernica
Habanada
Habanero
Habanero, chocolate
Habanero, pink
Himo Togarashi
Hot Portugal
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno, Craig's Grande
Jalapeno, Early
Kaboutermutzen
Leutschauer
Manganji
New-Mex Big Jim
New-Mex Heritage 6-4
New-Mex Jalmundo
New-Mex Joe E Parker
New-Mex Twilight
Ophelia
Oranzhovoye Chudo
Ozark Giant
Pasilla Bajio
Peppadew
Peppadew, S.A.S.
Pepperoncini
Poblano
Round of Hungary
Serrano Huasteca
Serrano Tampiqueno
Shi★★★★o
Sweet Pickle
Takamatsume
Tolli's Sweet
West Allis 1/2 Sharp
Wisconsin Lakes
Yatsufusa
Zavory
Zolotoy Dozhd
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #12
MdTNGrdner
Tomatovillian™
 
MdTNGrdner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post

I like your list, all useable peppers.
That's me, Mrs Practical.
It was difficult to narrow it down. I know at least a few varieties are similar but don't quite trust my germination and production skills enough yet so the list grew. There are enough varieties that we should really be able to expand our pepper horizons even more than last year. If they germinate. ::drumming fingers...::


Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Beautiful list!!
Thank you! A lot of repeats from last year and many from the MMMM and trades. If they'll go for me I'll save lots of seeds to share


Alex, Baker Creek was my source for Ajvarski; this will be the 3rd year growing it. I think you're right about all the re-labelling that goes on - even innocent () re-labelling, such as "so-and-so's [name of country] Red", when the variety obviously already had a name from wherever it was from. There must be so many duplicate varieties!
__________________
~Bee
MdTNGrdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #13
velikipop
Tomatovillian™
 
velikipop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
That's me, Mrs Practical.
It was difficult to narrow it down. I know at least a few varieties are similar but don't quite trust my germination and production skills enough yet so the list grew. There are enough varieties that we should really be able to expand our pepper horizons even more than last year. If they germinate. ::drumming fingers...::




Thank you! A lot of repeats from last year and many from the MMMM and trades. If they'll go for me I'll save lots of seeds to share


Alex, Baker Creek was my source for Ajvarski; this will be the 3rd year growing it. I think you're right about all the re-labelling that goes on - even innocent () re-labelling, such as "so-and-so's [name of country] Red", when the variety obviously already had a name from wherever it was from. There must be so many duplicate varieties!
All that matters is that you enjoy what you are growing, no matter what the name is.
Alex
__________________
I'll plant and I'll harvest what the earth brings forth
The hammer's on the table, the pitchfork's on the shelf

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #14
rhines81
Tomatovillian™
 
rhines81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zone 5A, Poconos
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post

Kaboutermutzen
Had to look this one up, never heard of it before.

Kaboutermutsenpaprika (Gnome Hat Paprika). Looks good. I'll have to look for the seeds next time I am in the Netherlands.

rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #15
MdTNGrdner
Tomatovillian™
 
MdTNGrdner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post

Kaboutermutsenpaprika (Gnome Hat Paprika). Looks good. I'll have to look for the seeds next time I am in the Netherlands.


I got that one in this year's MMMM (thanks Ann123!) I also thought it looks good, and if I can grow it and save seeds I'll send you some.
__________________
~Bee
MdTNGrdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★