Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 21, 2013   #16
jdcooper
Tomatovillian™

Planted the seedling in the beginning of May. It spent a bunch of time in extremely hot direct sun before I had the wherewithal to move it to where it is now. It is getting probably 4-5hr direct now bit afternoon sun which is maybe too intense. Perhaps I should find it morning sun? Or filtered light? What kind of light does yours get?
jdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #17
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

I would put yours in filtered shade. Mine gets sun all day but our temps are in the 60's-low 70's and overcast alot. Just getting fun sun all day. My plant is about 3 yrs old. My leaves are yellowing and needs a bigger home. I have a 17 gal. bucket I'm going to transplant it in this sunday.
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #18
jdcooper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
jdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #19
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i have come to the conclusion that i don't care for any pepper that as that capsaicin taste which eliminates all i have tasted above 150k SHU. i have a few dozen fatilliis in the freezer and use them sparingly not cuz they are so hot (well they are hot!) but it's that crappy capsaicin taste.

at this point i like long red slim cayenne they burn and are hot but i can handle it eating them like celery, couldn't do that with a fatallii. i have some datils which are a little hotter and border on that capsaicin taste. grew some tabasco last year and they were nice hot, much hotter than i expected!

i'm not sure if i want to grow the cayenne anymore as the hot pepper flakes and cayenne powder in the health food store is plenty hot! i have 2 cayenne plants and i'll see how they do. they don't produce much until late august, maybe that space is better used.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

I am really into the mild hot peppers. Chilaca - Pasilla Bajio has such a unique flavour and great fresh eating or cooking with that low note and mild heat. This year I have Guajillo too and I'm loving it fresh, it was also very early. A full bodied red chile flavour with pretty mild heat. My Alma paprika also has a spicy pith, and very juicy sweet flesh, the heat is transient but pungent. And I just tasted my first Santa Fe grande - lovely, and also quite a thick, sweet, juicy pepper. No es grande! Can't wait to try these in a salsa.
My red ripe jalapenos are a good bit hotter, so is Bulgarian Carrot which I grew last year and is a fruity hot treat.

Very wimpy I guess, for people who eat fresh Scorpions! or even Serranos. I'll have to slowly work my way up the Scoville scale, but these are my faves now.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #21
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Of all the peppers I've eaten, only a handful have really impressed me flavorwise.

Chapeau de Frade
Orange Bell
Little Bells
Franks

I love the flavor of most C. Chinense, but they tend to be overwhelmingly hot.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #22
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Mariachi is my best pepper for mild hot flavor and tops for production. Can't wait to roast a few on the grill with jack cheese.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #23
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

My favorite is Inferno, a very large hot banana pepper. The flavor is incredible and the heat is just right so I can use a lot of pepper. They freeze great and can be used fresh right out of the freezer. I filled 4 one-gallon freezer bags last fall and they are all gone. Many went for my favorite breakfast sandwich: egg, hot pepper and cheese.
Old July 2, 2013   #24
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i like so many that it would be hard to pick just one. as for the milder hots i like serrano as well as tobasco. as for the hotter i like chiltepin, habanero and fatali. i just grow many types so i do not have to hurt any one peppers feelings.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #25
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Fresno is better than Serrano or Jalapeno for me in both fresh salsa and raw....
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #26
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I have loved growing chile peppers for a long time. They were my first gardening passion because of the level of excitement they create, both on the plant and culinarily. I usually grow 15-20 varieties but always plant 4 without fail. Jalepeno, Serrano, Hungarian Hot wax and Scotch Bonnett.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #27
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i have come to the conclusion that i don't care for any pepper that as that capsaicin taste which eliminates all i have tasted above 150k SHU. i have a few dozen fatilliis in the freezer and use them sparingly not cuz they are so hot (well they are hot!) but it's that crappy capsaicin taste.

at this point i like long red slim cayenne they burn and are hot but i can handle it eating them like celery, couldn't do that with a fatallii. i have some datils which are a little hotter and border on that capsaicin taste. grew some tabasco last year and they were nice hot, much hotter than i expected!

i'm not sure if i want to grow the cayenne anymore as the hot pepper flakes and cayenne powder in the health food store is plenty hot! i have 2 cayenne plants and i'll see how they do. they don't produce much until late august, maybe that space is better used.

tom
Tom,

If it is appropriate to ask, what town in Northwest Ct are you located in. I'm in North Granby about 1 mile from Granville MA.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #28
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Pepper Pack favorites:
Bulgarian Carrot
Ring of Fire
and for those preferring something a little milder Jaloro.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #29
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

For a light heat that most people can tolerate for stuffing or pickled peppers, I can now recommend Beaver Dam.

We just had them baked with herbed cheese and bacon last night. Yum! I love a stuffed pepper with some heat, but your average jalapeno is just a bit too hot for me in large quantities. This one was perfect and quite tasty!

It is also just large enough that you could stuff a couple of them with meat and cheese and make a meal of them.

It would be good in a mild salsa, as well. Pretty much anywhere that you really want to see and taste the pepper, without any burn. (as opposed to tossing in a pinch of a very hot pepper just for the heat.)

Last edited by livinonfaith; July 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #30
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I just want to thank you all for forcing me to order a bunch of new peppers.

Heat + flavor is exactly what I want in a pepper. Those Aji peppers sound perfect!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote