Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 10, 2013   #1
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

Default Would this be a possible galvanized solution?

I have read several threads/posts on here about searching for an alternative to making tomato cages out of the rusty CRW. As was mentioned, the galvanized fencing generally available has openings that are too small, which means that some creative work-arounds are needed in order to get access to the fruit. The field fencing with the larger openings are not rigid enough. Also, these alternatives, and even CRW, are hard to find in widths above 5 or sometimes 6ft.

I found some Deer and Wildlife Fence that looks real promising and am wondering if anyone knows how it would work as tomato cage material. It has openings that are 6 inches wide( looks like the other dimension varies?)and is galvanized.

It comes in a 6 ft height with a reasonable length of 165 ft for $144:

http://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-d...ard-70253.html

And one at the seemingly perfect height of 8ft and 12 gauge instead of 14(also apparently a studier "cross-lock" knot construction:
but apparently only comes in 330 ft rolls for $476:

http://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-d...not-78206.html

More detail on each can be found here under the Deer and Wildlife fence tab on the left.

www.redbrand.com

Shipping looks like it would be $145 for either roll "straight from factory", or even for 2 or 3 rolls, but I am wondering if I could talk my local RuralKing into ordering some for me to the store.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Mark
Markitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

My experience with it is the openings on the bottom are too small and a pain. Stockyard panels are much better if you get the ones with larger openings at the bottom.

But generally we used the cheaper cattle fencing and although not tall, simply let the tomato vines tumble over the top. Still better than the cheap cages they sell at the stores.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I personally didn't like the cross lock knot. I prefer tack welded wire , much more rigid imo.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

IMHO Those 4" openings just won't do.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #5
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback. I found some more specific specs.

For the 8ft tall fence:

20 horizontal wires spaced: 6@3", 2@4", 2@5", 3@6", 6@7".

So only the first 18 inches has 6" X 3" openings and the next 8" has 6"X4".

Only the bottom 26" would have less than 6"X5" openings.

And I think it might be smarter to turn it upside down. Then up to 6ft tall the openings would not be smaller than 6"X5".

Now that I have gotten all that out of my system, I have made a discovery that probably everyone knew but me...

I knew you could turn the FLAT panels either way you wanted to make tall and narrow or shorter and wider cages. But the widest flat panels I found were 4ft so that would be some pretty skinny cages at 15" wide. And 4ft tall is too short.

However, apparently it is going to work to turn the 5ft X 150ft rolls around too. If I roll them at 90 degrees to their original direction, apparently they will still be rigid enough and 19" diameter and as tall as I want to make them.

I tested this out on a couple of old wire mesh cages that the former owners had left here.

Problem solved.
Old July 14, 2013   #6
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

BTW, if anyone is thinking about giving the 8 ft fence a go( benefit=no rust and 8ft, downside= 330 ft/400lb roll and some small openings), I did talk to my local Rural King. They said they could order it for zero shipping on the next truck.
Old July 14, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitude View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I found some more specific specs.

For the 8ft tall fence:

20 horizontal wires spaced: 6@3", 2@4", 2@5", 3@6", 6@7".

So only the first 18 inches has 6" X 3" openings and the next 8" has 6"X4".

Only the bottom 26" would have less than 6"X5" openings.

And I think it might be smarter to turn it upside down. Then up to 6ft tall the openings would not be smaller than 6"X5".

Now that I have gotten all that out of my system, I have made a discovery that probably everyone knew but me...

I knew you could turn the FLAT panels either way you wanted to make tall and narrow or shorter and wider cages. But the widest flat panels I found were 4ft so that would be some pretty skinny cages at 15" wide. And 4ft tall is too short.

However, apparently it is going to work to turn the 5ft X 150ft rolls around too. If I roll them at 90 degrees to their original direction, apparently they will still be rigid enough and 19" diameter and as tall as I want to make them.

I tested this out on a couple of old wire mesh cages that the former owners had left here.

Problem solved.
Yep, that works too!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old July 14, 2013   #8
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

Actually, now that I think about it. The old cage was 4ft by 7ft so it was probably originally a flat panel. So now I am not sure though I did unroll it from the way they originally rolled it and rerolled it the opposite way and it was all good.

So I am assuming it should work with the rolls??
Old July 14, 2013   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

It has been many years since I made cages out of old fencing. But I do remember making tall narrower ones by going horizontal. I believe, if I remember correctly, the issue was they get tippy.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 15, 2013   #10
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

I am hoping that will be solved by a few well-placed( but only 2 or 3 ft long) stakes as long as the cages themselves are rigid enough to stay up straight if the bottoms are anchored.
Old July 15, 2013   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i don't like it. i doubt this is a sturdy enough fence material like crw is sturdy so it may start to collapse under the weight of the plant and especially fruits. those holes are not large enough. you need 6" square everywhere - what are you going to do when there are tomatoes in the smaller grid area? maybe cherries or patio sized fruits but for regular to full sized and forget large beefsteaks - no way.

what's the deal with rust? it blends in with the brown of spring, fall and winter. in summer you don't see it due to the green leaves. so you want the sun reflecting off galvanized wire?

it's your garden and your money but i'd stick with crw.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I suspect the problem some people have with the rust is that it stains everything it comes in contact with. I'm light skinned which means I have to work to get rust stains off them. It gets onto anything you touch and from there onto clothes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #13
Markitude
Tomatovillian™

The rust was secondary. I am looking for height primarily. Five foot just don't cut it for me.
Old July 16, 2013   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

There's no reason you can't make 2 four foot ones and stack them. I'd fasten them together with cable ties or wire. I also posted in another thread that I'd think about making them square by bending each CRW panel to a right angle the long way and then fastenning them together.

Last edited by Doug9345; July 16, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

anchoring an 8' crw cage with a tomato plant 8' tall with the wind blowing, well you'll need a very good anchoring system.

i use 5' crw cages. i use two 1/4" rebar stakes opposite each other to anchor the cage. they are five foot high and i pound them 2.5' into the ground. most of my tomato plants already have their cage leaning. the sun gold plant is 2' above the top of it's cage. i don't think i'd want an 8' cage.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote