Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2017   #436
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Salt, I took your direction and fertilized using Miracle Grow for Maters. They needed a good kick in the bisquits after all the rain and cold with the warm sunshine these next few days. They have been in the ground for 12 days and are only 6-8" tall. Hopefully this will make them jump.
If it warms up and it doesn't make them jump check your soil pH.
Could be the ground is just too darn wet.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #437
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If it warms up and it doesn't make them jump check your soil pH.
Could be the ground is just too darn wet.
Worth
Will do Worth. My soil seems to drain well. I gave each plant about 16-20 oz of slightly under full recommended strength MG Tomato and the ground swallowed it up pretty quickly. There are lots of rabbit poop and a little TT mixed with the soil so hopefully they will be happy plants. I will go find a soil ph tester so I can be more informed. Learning a little as I grow.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #438
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Over 10 inches of rain in the last week. Lows projected to be in the mid 30's the next 2 nights. Looks like a Greenland block setting up so going to be cool and wet for the Great Lakes into the NE until around May 20th. Ugh.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #439
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Sunday/Monday/Tuesday are supposed to dip to the mid 30s here in SE PA. Is that too cold for the plants as situated?
Haven't grown eggplant but I can speak for the peppers. They won't mind. However, if you suspect a frost (which can occur above freezing - don't ask me how), then throw a light cover over them, like a bed sheet. The heat from the ground will keep them toasty all night.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #440
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Horrible experience here yesterday PM,winds picked up went to my best weather sites, huge alerts for winds 40- to 60 MPH, was reading when BOOM, all power shut off here at home as well.

It got colder and colder ,no heat,no nothing , all I could do was to go to bed and try to keep warm. Power only came on a couple of hours ago,and then yet more problems getting back online, which I won't detail.

Over 4,000 homes in three counties without power and em notice from power company said not all will get power back until late tomorrow and temps for the next few days going to near freezing at night.. Power lines hanging from other lines, roads blocked, and on and on.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2017   #441
bower
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I just read about the flash flooding in New York and New Jersey in the news... Stay safe, I hope you keep your power and don't spend another night in the cold.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #442
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I am glad to hear your power is back on. Take care of yourself and keep warm.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #443
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad I didn't plant my tomatoes and peppers early like I was going to do. It warmed up so nicely in April, I thought for sure we'd have an early spring, because our late frost normally happens during peach blossom.

Looking at the extended forecast is a little frustrating. Seedling are taking over our kitchen, and it looks to be another week until the temps are decent enough to plant. Then they are calling for 5 straight days of rain next weekend as well, so...
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #444
edweather
Tomatovillian™

We're still in a Level D2 Severe Drought although we did have .80" of rain Thurs nite. The downside was that there were fires caused from lightning strikes, followed by high winds for 2 days, and the Okefenokee Swamp fire has been burning out of control for a month, about 40 miles west of here. Over 110,000 acres burned, and only 10% contained. We have smoke and ash in the air with a west wind. Winds have died down, but back to dry conditions, with no rain expected in the near future.

Last edited by edweather; May 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #445
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breeze View Post
I'm glad I didn't plant my tomatoes and peppers early like I was going to do. It warmed up so nicely in April, I thought for sure we'd have an early spring, because our late frost normally happens during peach blossom.

Looking at the extended forecast is a little frustrating. Seedling are taking over our kitchen, and it looks to be another week until the temps are decent enough to plant. Then they are calling for 5 straight days of rain next weekend as well, so...
Wise move. Planting tomatoes in cool wet weather is a recipe for disaster. First you have the stress of transplanting and the added stress of cool wet weather is an opportunistic starting point for many tomato diseases which won't show up until it gets warm giving a false illusion of the the disease starting in warm weather.

My 18 tomato plants are happy for now in their 4 1/2 inch pots, but really needing to get out soon as they are all flowering and soon will be setting tomatoes.But not until the weather is right.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #446
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Kinda like me.............very similar plant window also, chance again for frost tonight, as it was last night, have to cover up what i have out(not much - mostly flowers) but maybe next week i'll look at the long range - hope i can get them planted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170507_013006.jpg (381.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Plants.jpg (381.3 KB, 46 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #447
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

i got them outside today - will bring tonight to kitchen nook - repeat till i get 'em in after frost done - hope soon! they will go in the bed around the tree, around the house, in the raised bed and the pots on the deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Almost can Plant1.jpg (541.0 KB, 45 views)
Old May 7, 2017   #448
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

here's a better pic of raised bed with pots just waiting............Almost can Plant1.jpg
Old May 7, 2017   #449
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and cleared off all the plants from my AG19 covered shelves and put them on the cellar floor. I hope they like the 60-65F and dim lighting because I am not getting them out tomorrow just to put them back away tomorrow night. I have way too many extra plants. It was about 15 roundtrips, I guess.

My tomatoes were started way too early. March 24th I think. At 6 weeks they are huge and still in 2" soil blocks. I guess I will have to up pot them since they probably won't go in the ground this week as hoped/planned. 70 degree days are not forecast until 5/18. The tomato plants looked perfect to go in the ground about 2 weeks back, when they were about 4 weeks. Next year I guess I will wait until the second week of April to start them.

Peppers and eggplant seem about right started March 4th. My garden situation changed somewhat this year so I'm not sure what will go where. I just hope this is the last cold snap so that wherever they go, they go soon.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #450
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

JRinPA... I am moving flats of tomatoes in and out of the greenhouse daily now. I feel for you. It is too warm in the day they are growing like weeds and too cold at night to leave them out... sigh.