Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old March 11, 2008   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Let's plan a date for MAGTAG

MAGTAG 2006 and 2007 were both held on the Saturday before Labor Day Weekend. It was suggested on the "other" board that we schedule it a little earlier this year, as for some of us (myself included) my harvest had petered out by time the festival was held and I was unable to contribute much, tomato-wise. (It's not like we had any dearth of tomatoes, though!) Any comments? And not cracks about scheduling it when it's not 99 degrees out - I have NO control over that!
Old March 11, 2008   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Oooh.

If you have it on the weekend of the 16th, I might try to fly up
for it.....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old March 12, 2008   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Shooting for the 16th might not be a bad idea. Like you Cecilia...I had lost a few good plants by the time MAGTAG 07 came around.

I figure if I could survive last year's heat...anything else this year should be okay.
Old March 12, 2008   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I just talked to the boss and the 16th of August is fine with her so its fine with me :-) Maybe some of my earlier ones will still be edible by then.

This year will be the F3 of the "Emily" tomato. It's a pink beefsteak that comes from a Prue X Marianna's Peace. It has droopy potato leaf foliage. I didn't have any to bring last year because it was to late and they were all gone but maybe this year!

Also, with luck my Green-when-ripe heart shaped experiment will work out. We will see!

Greg
Old March 26, 2008   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I've been busy with a work deadline, but now it's over and I can get crackin' on my MAGTAG duties. I will call Baltimore County this next or week or next week and reserve a pavillion for SATURDAY, AUGUST 16, 2008, if it's available.

DH Dave is happy, because it doesn't conflict with the highlight of his summer, the Bel Air Barbecue Bash, which is the weekend before. This also means we can use him a grillmeister again this year!

Somebody on the "other forum" commented that we should consider beginning the festivities later in the day when it isn't so hot. The only problems I can see with this are 1) I think we need to vacate the park by 6:00 - I'll check on this, and 2) it takes forever to tally the results of the tasting contest.
Which reminds me - any suggestions for streamlining the judging would be much appreciated. So far we've tried two different techniques and neither has really been acceptable. The varietie that are more prolific, as well as those that are brought in earlier in the day, get the most tasters. This skews the results toward those varieties. Plus, I usually am stuck doing the tallying, and (despite using a calculator) I am math-impaired - just ask the people I have to weigh in at Weight Watchers meetings!
Old March 28, 2008   #6
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

August 16th works for me. Later in the day would be my preference if possible.

Maybe a laptop with an Excel spreadsheet would add those tally's up in no time. I can have my friend make one for the different types of votes (best red, pink, etc.) Maybe someone on here has Excel skills or can think of a better way to tally.

-Kim
Old March 31, 2008   #7
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Good News! The lady from Balto. County just called me (she remembered us crazy Tomatomaniacs) and I reserved the same pavilion as last year for August 16. As soon as she sends me the paperwork and I write the check, MAGTAG 2008 will be official! We have the park for most of the day (9:00 til 6:00), but we can discuss just when the festivities begin and end later. Perhaps we could have a cutoff time for people to bring tomatoes in - I know this would make it difficult for the folks who are traveling from farther away, but it would ensure that all the varieties get a lot of tasting.