Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 2, 2012   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Default Slow growing peppers

This morning I was lamenting how slowly my peppers (two Anaheim, and two red bell) have been growing. I did have to refresh my memory and realize that I didn't start the peppers until a few weeks after the tomato seedlings. I think they were planted the last week of October.

I put each in an 8" pot to grow until transplanted into beds. They seem just about the same size as 2 weeks ago, just 2" or so on top of the soil mix. We had a couple of cooler nights, high forties, and I am wondering whether they have gotten too cold.

They're in a pretty rich mix of Just Natural garden soil, Just Natural's mushroom compost, a little Black Kow, and some vermiculite and coir. I've been checking the soil moisture. I mulched the top of the soil with shredded newspaper and topped that with some shredded leaves.

I see on the seed company (High Mowing) site that they advised:

"For growing transplants, maintain temperature at around 75°F during the day and 65°F at night. Harden off plants by slightly reducing temperature to 60-65°F and reducing water for 2-3 days before transplanting."

I assumed that transplant advice was for indoor temps and that my nighttime lows in the 50s wouldn't be a problem. Now I'm not sure.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2012   #2
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I grew 800 pepper plants last year and had great results. I grow cold, meaning that daytime greenhouse temperatures are about 60F and nighttime temps drop to 38F to 40F. Growing cold is slow but it means healthier roots, bulkier stems, and plants that are better adapted to outside environment. I'm in NY, so your conditions are less extreme. Have patience since Cold = Slow.

Hotwired
http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/G...d_starting.pdf
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2012   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Your attached page is a cool read by the way.

First year growing anything in Florida besides herbs, so I thought ths would be my main growing season. I got a late start so I guess I will not be seeing much edible (besides lettuce) til spring.
Old December 2, 2012   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I never had luck with peppers until I got a heating pad.
I've also found that putting them out in warm sun once they come up really makes a difference if the weather allows.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2012   #5
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

It's beautifully warm outside this week, high near 80. I just wonder whether nights to about 48 slowed things down. One thing I forgot is that compared to everything else I've grown so far, they were very slow to germinate until I placed the cups above the water heater. They were in styrofoam so they didn't get overly hot, just warmer. So they are a week or so behind the paste tomatoes to start with. Though, I did worry that something - the leaf mulch? temp? - was causing them to slow down.

I may scrounge up some empty two-liter bottles and cut the bottoms off and make individual cloches to get those temps up a bit. Saw that on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLBsxI-Xl8
Old December 3, 2012   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

just be patient. Peppers are slow, much slower than tomatoes. I start my peppers a month before my tomatoes up here.
Old December 3, 2012   #7
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I realize I also forgot how much later they were started. I am just feeling like not much is happening! Beginner's impatience.
Old January 5, 2013   #8
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

My peppers really did start to grow nicely - and then two were severely hit by that frost of two weeks ago or so. I have one that got reduced to just a stem, all the leaves got mushy and came off. Others, only two feet away, were basically fine. I pulled the stem out and am seeing if it regrows. It kind of looks like it's going to. I trimmed up the rest and bought a serrrano plant to go where the one bell had been (the stem.)

Started a few more seeds of the King Crimson bell and the Joe E Parker NuMex (Anaheim) that I had, as back-up, and possibly for sharing. Today I made a stop at The Fresh Market (do you all have those? Upscale food market chain, a bit pricy and none in my area but I'm a sucker for their flavored coffee beans) and got some dried anchos. I'm testing some of the seeds to see if they would possibly germinate. I also raided their olive/antipasto bar, and they had some of the marinated cherry tomatoes. Now I realize those would be great to try to grow.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cherry pepper that is slightly hot but not too too hot? Thanks.
Old January 5, 2013   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cherry pepper that is slightly hot but not too too hot? Thanks.
Peppadew? Or whatever is legal to call it?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #10
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Cortona gave me some seeds last year from a variety which he and others grow in central Italy. Based upon his experience and my observations, here's the description I wrote up for SSE:

Nano Cortona
A stabilized cross between C. chinense X C. annum. Small (nano = dwarf), bright red, slightly flattened pods are consistent in size at about 1.3" across by 1" deep, with distinctive, folded lobing, 3-4 lobes per pod. Aroma is scarey - very much like a habanero - but the heat level is WAY down, about on par with Anaheim. So it has the distinctive fruity flavor of a habanero but a heat level tolerable by just about anyone. Plants are exceptionally productive with leaves more typical of C. annum.

Here's a pic:

Not exactly a cherry pepper, I suppose, but definitely a good one! Just had the last fresh (refridgerated) one in some salsa yesterday!

At the other extreme, I grew six Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plants in 2012. All grew well but did not produce a single blossom. There were a few buds by the time the weather turned cold. I'm trying to keep them alive over the winter, but am afraid the aphids will kill them if the cold doesn't.

Also, I obtained a few Carolina Reaper seeds a month ago. Today, the 7th of 11 seeds emerged - 31 days after planting! It seems that many of the super hots are hard-core tropical, very slow to germinate, and just don't thrive or produce in cool weather.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #11
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, those really look like habaneros, don't they? Interesting. Thanks. I used to watch Daisy Martinez's Latin cooking shows on PBS stations, and she would occasionally mention ajices dulces, which looked like Scotch bonnet peppers but were sweet and fruity she said. I didn't see them even in the Latin supermarket here. I bet those would be the ticket.
Old January 6, 2013   #12
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Hotwired,
I just read this thread, although started a while ago.
What a great posting of your operation !!
Thanks for sharing the journey and great pictures...it helps to read and see the setups..
Thanks,
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #13
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Kilroys, I have peppers growing just as you said yours were...NOT. I transplanted out jalapenos, corbaci, and red marconi peppers in various ways on 12/2/12 and they all did nothing. Didn't grow. Didn't die. Just sat there (with one exception.) Also, some took a VERY long time to germinate (most took 2 weeks but my Serranos took almost a month, I'd pretty much forgotten/given up on them. I started the seeds in the beginning of November.) Now, after doing nothing for over a month, two red marconis (out of 7) are starting to show signs of growth.

The one exception to this "no grow" thing were the ones I repotted into 20 oz soda bottles (turned into mini-wicking bottles. I do this to give to friends. Recycle! LOL) For some reason, these grew where none of the ones in real planters did. They have both very strong root structures AND are, at least, twice to three times the size of the others. With this in mind, instead of planting my serranos directly into their permanent homes, I've repotted them into 20 oz soda bottles. I'll leave them in there until they grow like the others have.

On the topic of cherry peppers...I'd like to try growing some as well!
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #14
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hmm, those really look like habaneros, don't they? Interesting. Thanks. I used to watch Daisy Martinez's Latin cooking shows on PBS stations, and she would occasionally mention ajices dulces, which looked like Scotch bonnet peppers but were sweet and fruity she said. I didn't see them even in the Latin supermarket here. I bet those would be the ticket.
That sounds like Aji Dulce 2, one of several non-hot varieties of habanero type peppers. It's available at Tomato Growers Supply and other vendors. I've grown it before and it can have a little bite to it, but not always...depends on your growing conditions I think. One year I had some with medium heat pods mixed with low heat on the same plant, but it was in a container in a very hot spot and I wasn't keeping up on watering very well(which can stress the plant and cause more heat). I never got any random scorchers though. The last time I grew it, the pods were very mild with just a hint of heat in the placenta. Very fruity and aromatic. I do have some seed, but since we recently moved all of my gardening stuff is still boxed up in the garage. If you'd like some and don't mind waiting, I could send you some once I can get to the right boxes. You can just PM your addy.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #15
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
I do have some seed, but since we recently moved all of my gardening stuff is still boxed up in the garage. If you'd like some and don't mind waiting, I could send you some once I can get to the right boxes. You can just PM your addy.
Thanks, I would love a few, but please don't trouble yourself if it's a bother... I know the chaos of moving and hope to avoid it for a while. Will PM you my info. I don't think I will need to worry too badly about heat with peppers, though if I plant any later in the spring I may use containers so I could move them about in summer.

Thanks,

Ann