Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 17, 2017   #16
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

In 2013 I grew two of the named selections from the Cherokee Tiger line (six plants each) but neither was as described by the vendor. One produced fruit similar in color to what you show but were plum-shaped and the chartreuse, dwarf, determinate plants were not much over a foot tall at maturity. Extremely compact and productive with beautiful fruit. A ton of interesting genes involved but, unfortunately, the fruit was not edible (bitter) so I never grew it again. The other selection was a large striped red fruit. A few of the dwarf plants produced unstriped fruit and the plants weren’t consistent in size so I didn’t grow it again.

I think the chartreuse gene is recessive as is the dwarf gene, so the fact that you had non-dwarf, non-chartreuse seedlings makes me think your seed source had at least a partial cross and you are possibly growing an F2 selection. It will be interesting to compare yours to Marsha’s. I am guessing you have a tasty, new variety to stabilize and name.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017   #17
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Also, here is a link to Bill's informative post about the "Cherokee" types. The last paragraph describes the "Cherokee Tiger" lines.
Old December 17, 2017   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Steve. The only reason I'm in pursuit of this one is that it has that Cherokee Purple taste. I want to (at least) try to capture it for the rest of the world. Anything that delivers production like this one and taste this good is worth the effort to save it.

BTW, Simmran1 had a question for you regarding 'County Agent'.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017   #19
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I think you have a winner!

Thanks, I'll PM Simmran1. He was my original seed source for County Agent.

Steve
Old April 20, 2020   #20
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, reviving this thread on a line called Cherokee Tiger Black Pear that I grew this year.

I thought the seedling was ill, due to the chartreuse color, but it has retained this color while growing well. I set it out today, and let's see the result. A very unusual looking tomato. I see the result above that "unfortunately, the fruit was not edible (bitter) so I never grew it again." Let us see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20200408_203931.jpg (180.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_1cherokee_tiger_black_pear.jpg (178.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; April 20, 2020 at 02:55 PM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2020   #21
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Good Healthy looking plants there, Scott. You'll like the taste. That color of the foliage is exactly what it should be. Enjoy
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #22
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings last year looked just as scottinatlanta"s did. The plants grew chartreuse all the way from spring till fall freeze producing a lot of fruit all the way, I did not like the taste or texture enough to grow it this yr. Yes it is a dwarf, but later will grow out to 5' plus if you stake it or let it sprawl. Bleach spray per Bill contained most all fungus/decease issues.
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote