Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2019   #1
Chris S
Tomatovillian™

Default Snapped a tomato plant stalk when burying it.

So I'm putting plants in the ground, burying the plant somewhat horizontally when I push down too hard on the main stalk and SNAP!. The stalk was moderately snapped. I somewhat straightened the stalked out and buried it according the original plan. Did I kill this plant or what? What are my odds? The breed is Green Giant and I watered it immediately after. HELP!
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Might be alright. Keep it watered.
It would make them a little more flexible to plant that way if they are one the dry but not quite wilted side. Then water very well once planted.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Water well and it should generate new roots above the break. You might also cover the plant with a plastic container to keep the humidity around the leafy parts high, but protect from direct sun so the container doesn't heat up. The goal is to reduce water loss until the plant starts to grow new roots in a few days.

After similar experiences, when I've had leggy plants I lay them on their side a few days before planting out so the plants turn naturally rather than being forced.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

As I'm reading, the break wasn't through and through, right? That means that some of the plant's vascular tissue is still going to be intact, so it has an even better chance of survival. Also, what Karen and Philagardener said are true. Tomatoes readily form roots on their stems when the stem is buried. I'm betting it will be fine after a few days of wilting.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have made cuttings for a late freeze from my greenhouse/garden tomato suckers for a neighbor/customer whose garden got toasted. I handed him the cuttings and told him to stick them straight in the ground and put a bucket over them for the next week. This customer was shocked at my advice but tried it anyway as he had no tomatoes after the freeze. His wife still comments on what a success her tomatoes were that year after the start they got... go put a white bucket over the tomato to keep the sun off it and to make a little greenhouse climate for it. it should do fine.