Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 2, 2018   #256
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

There are two modes in which your meter will be most useful - measuring resistance and voltage - so it would be good to learn how to use those. You might be able to find on line a manual for your meter that will help explain these settings. In these modes, it is possible to test different parts of your circuit quickly to find faults and loose connections. (Measurement of current (amps) is less informative in your setting and more difficult to do, so there are settings on your meter that you won't be using to start.)

Measuring resistance (which may require fresh batteries in your meter) will tell you if a circuit is in continuity. Whether the ground really connected to ground, for example, or how well things are connected.

Measuring voltage will tell you if you are delivering 120 volts on the correct lead, or (to take Kurt's example) if you have a voltage drop because of a long wire run or some other loss. Shorts can leak current creating shock and fire hazards.

Any measurements made with circuits energized must be made with care!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #257
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Any good meter has a continuity setting on it and I am not a fan of using the Ohm setting to check continuity.
Mostly because I can look at what I am doing and hear the beep.

Next yesterday I jumped out the 20 year old young man for using the Ohm setting to check a contact on a live 5 volt circuit with a resistor in series.
He said you could and I said you are getting garbage and learn to use your meter correctly and put it on volts.
No you can, see.
No #$%^ use the thing right, what you are doing is a sure indication of someone that doesn't know how to use a meter.
Please stop arguing and learn.
I did this nicely with my hand on his shoulder, he didn't get mad.
Look 5 volts DC open contact 1.6 volts DC closed contact.
The hard headed little devil.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #258
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Your test light lit up because the hot/(better be black's) breaker is on.
This does not mean the neutral is connected all the way back to the panel.

You need to show a pictuer because what you say is flabbergasting me.

What do you mean by white black and neutral?
White is neutral.

This is how a wall outlet is wired.
This is the way to wire a wall plug. ^^^ No other way should be used. No need for a test light or meter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #259
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Everything comes with instructions, they are in the box people throw away.
I got publicly ridiculed by a young punk chemical engineer many years ago for reading the instructions.

Worth
Old May 13, 2018   #260
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

During trouble shooting on the job this is what I found.
How not to wire up a motion detector.
Worth
IMG_20180513_22341.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; May 13, 2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 13, 2018   #261
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's grounded to the air.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #262
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It's grounded to the air.
There is no ground on it the wires are stripped back too far.
One pair is for contacts the other is for 12 DC volt power.
Old May 13, 2018   #263
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Aha. I thought green was always ground, lesson learned.
Old May 13, 2018   #264
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Aha. I thought green was always ground, lesson learned.
Not when it comes to instrumentation wires.
The green and white have 5 volts on them going through a resistor that knocks it down to 1.6 volts.
The closed contacts open up when someone moves the volts jump up to around 5 and the system goes into alarm.
You can also use these same motion detector devices to open up or unlock doors and anything else your heart desires.
Old May 25, 2018   #265
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Been borrowing my bosses for some time now and other peolple use it too and never get their own stuff.
Finally broke down and got one today for myself.
A Fluke 3000 tone generator and probe use to trace out wires.
Indispensable in my line of work.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...27358781820984

Old May 27, 2018   #266
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Showed the device to my neighbor lady's son that is my age.
He works on and builds huge RO systems for chicken houses and so on and does the same thing for the High Tech industry because they have to have clean pure water to wash product.
Much of this involves automation of valves and so forth which includes wires.
When I showed him how it worked his eyes bugged out and exclaimed man I sure could have used that a few times, it would have saved hours of tracing wires and trouble shooting.
He asked me how far they would trace out a wire.
I said about ten miles.
His expression.
These things run way up in price if you get them from a place that specializes in electronics like ADI and so on.
I got mine at Lowes in the telephone cable and electronic section for 72 bucks.
Not to be confused with the electrical section.
Old June 19, 2018   #267
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I replaced a water heater yesterday in a rental trailer for a friend of mine. It is an older 1980s trailer, and has the water heater sealed in a closet that opens to the outside, behind a siding panel. It had apparently been leaking for some time. The recessed area on top that held the electrical connections was full of water! Why didn't that trip a breaker? Are wire nuts waterproof? Do you think that touching that water would have shocked someone? I don't understand how wiring can work underwater.
Old June 21, 2018   #268
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I replaced a water heater yesterday in a rental trailer for a friend of mine. It is an older 1980s trailer, and has the water heater sealed in a closet that opens to the outside, behind a siding panel. It had apparently been leaking for some time. The recessed area on top that held the electrical connections was full of water! Why didn't that trip a breaker? Are wire nuts waterproof? Do you think that touching that water would have shocked someone? I don't understand how wiring can work underwater.
Darn I figured someone would explain besides me.
On phone at work will explain tonight if someone else doesn't.
In a nut shell water isn't conductive the impurities ions in it are.
Also depends on voltage.
Could you get shocked, maybe.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old June 21, 2018   #269
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

After I put in the new water heater, I went back the next day, and the new one was the same way! I was putting in the last pieces of pipe insulation, thinking I was done when I saw the water. I was stunned. I didn't get electrically shocked, but I was certainly emotionally shocked. Water was coming out of the pressure relief valve on top, probably when they took a shower. I called my dad and asked him, and he had never heard of such a thing. I called the tech support line, who just put me on hold forever. I read the troubleshooting guide in the manual, and it said, "this is a serious problem which must be corrected immediately. Call your plumbing contractor at once."

Great. That's me. I started reading about it, and apparently the correct fix is to plumb an expansion tank into the cold water side of the heater, because water heaters will push water back into the line when pressure builds up. The plumbing at this trailer had been re-done long ago by someone who was an obvious novice. The used PVC coming out of the hot water heater instead of CPVC. Even I know better than that.

I ended up just plumbing from the pressure relief valve with 3/4" CPVC and making a little drain pipe stick out the bottom of the siding. Plumbing a drain into the valve is what the instructions say to do anyway, but no one I know ever does it, because the valves don't leak when they are new.
Old June 22, 2018   #270
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Water is the best conduit for electricity.Now you dealing with the new “instant hot”the electric on demand.Apartment,hotels,trailers,not,maybe,here anything on jacks are considered a home,no wheels,travel trailers?Hookups?Propane tanks will be ....