Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 18, 2009   #1
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone ever ordered from Twilley seed?

Just wonderin about ya'lls experience with Twilley..their prices are great but i never order from anywhere without running it through this forum...Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered TSWV varieties from Twilleys and been very satisfied with their service and the quality of the seeds.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I used to order from Twilly many years ago. Basically Twilly is the "home gardener" catalog for Abbott & Cob.

If you like A&C varieties, then that's the catalog to get them from. But don't expect much non-A&C varieties or non-hybrids. I also think (not sure) they have a minimum order amount that is fairly high.

But then lots of the big commercial companies do. Many of them don't really like dealing with small amounts and small orders any more. I used to be able to order direct from Asgrow, A&C and many other of the companies that actually grow their seeds. But over 10 years ago, as many of the companies were being bought up, most of them either set very high mims or stopped selling directly altogether.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZARDFARM View Post
Just wonderin about ya'lls experience with Twilley..their prices are great but i never order from anywhere without running it through this forum...Gizzard
Do you have a link to their website?

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2010   #5
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from Twilley's in the last few years and their service and prices in general are pretty good. Early in the year (Jan-Feb) some seeds may be backordered as they are stocking their inventory, but usually they are shipped out asap and if they are out completely out they will issue a check for the item. Still I have always gotten my orders within 4 days after it ships. If you are looking for the latest and greatest in hybrids and solid performers adaptable to most areas of the country, this is the place with a good selection.

Their target customer base seems to be the smaller field farmer and farmers market, but they do offer smaller seed quantities ideal for the home gardener or those who may want to try different varieites. However, keep in mind that most of their seed is checmically treated with thiram to help with germination and it is disclosed in their catalog. Of course it's all in personal preference. If you are going organic or are not into chemically treated seed, you want to try other sources out there.
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote