Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 2, 2012   #1
Benny W5TYZ
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat Resistant Tomatoes

Hi....
I live on the upper Texas Gulf Coast. I was wondering if anyone has any leads on "True", Sho-Nuff, Heat Resistant Tomato plants. I've tried several over the years here, and everyone of them just about gives up the ghost in the summer. I usually start my plants between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so time is getting near. I have my intro along with photos in the townhall forum...

Thanks, Benny
Benny W5TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Benny. I have grown and had good luck with the usual nominees: Sioux and Big Beef. This year I grew Fourth of July Hybrid right thru August and September and we have had mostly triple digit. It really impressed me and it refuses to die.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #3
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I've had limited success with Heatwave II, a hybrid.
Old October 2, 2012   #4
Benny W5TYZ
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, I tried the Heatwave this summer, and I couidn't see much difference in it and the others like Homestead and Big Boy..
Maybe there is a difference in H.W, and H.W II. Mine did not have the version II on it so maybe.......
Old October 2, 2012   #5
Benny W5TYZ
Tomatovillian™

Linda I haven't tried Sioux, and really this is the first time I've heard of it. I need to look it up and get some data on it ...4th of July is another unknown to me...
Thanks...

Benny
Old October 3, 2012   #6
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes for the South
(from Tanager’s Song Heirloom Seeds)
ARKANSAS TRAVELER - Indeterminate - 90 days – Pink - Regular Leaf. This is a wonderfully flavored six ounce tomato. It is beautiful and blemish free and just glowed on the vine. Southern Heirloom from the Ozark Mountains known for its ability to produce in hot weather.

EVA PURPLE BALL - Indeterminate - 83 days – Pink. Uniformly round, medium size, pinkish-purple fruit. Very productive, takes heat and humidity well, very sweet. 6-7 oz.

MEXICAN (not Mexico)- Indeterminate - 85 days – Pink – Potato Leaf. It set a huge number of 8 oz. pink tomatoes that did very well in our heat and drought. Origin from Mexico (Seed Packet 10 Seeds)

CREOLE - Indeterminate - 78 days - Red. Great for warm, humid climates. Smooth, medium-large, firm, juicy. From Louisiana.

HOMESTEAD 24 - Determinate - 80 days - Red. Highly adaptable especially in hot conditions. Smooth, dark red, meaty, 8 oz.

MANALUCIE - Indeterminate - 82 days - Red. Perfect for the heat of the south because of its ability to do well despite drought, humidity and all the other problems in the south. Large, deep globes, very smooth, firm, meaty, thick walled.

MARION F - Determinate - 71 days, - Red. Smooth, slightly deep, 6 oz. Good especially for the southeast. VERY RED!

MARMANDE - BEEFSTEAK - Determinate - 67 days -Red. Large, firm, round, lobed, high-ribbed shoulders. Bears well even in cool weather. 8 oz, meaty. Did wonderful in the drought and heat. French Heirloom.

MULE TEAM - Indeterminate - 80-90 days - Red - Regular Leaf. Large plant, with excellent set of 8-12 oz red-orange globes, excellent taste, long season. Tolerates heat well. Great disease resistance.

WAYAHEAD - Determinate- 76 days - Red. Flattened shape, 3.5" x 1.75" , above average yield. Wonderful producer despite the heat and the drought here in the south.
Old October 3, 2012   #7
Benny W5TYZ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ken...
I've got some ammo now to go looking for next years crop. Just what I was looking for...

Benny
Old October 3, 2012   #8
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

Since you are in Texas you should seek out Texwine which is a Brandywine x NAR cross adapted for extreme heat and drought conditions such as yours. This is the first year I believe that it will be offered. It has a sister line called Dixiewine that produced very well for me in the hot and humid Mid-South. The taste was exceptional. A standout in my 2012 garden.
Old October 3, 2012   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/seeds.asp I just started some mater seeds from these guys.All they do from what I understand from our friend who sends us coffee beans is develope plants for high heat and disease resistance for the islands farming culture.
Old October 3, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just noting from the post above that Arkasas Traveler is not an heirloom. It was bred by the U of Arkansas and someone somewhere added the name Arkansas. I think, with out checking, that Traveler, which is the correct name, was released in the early 70's and then an improved Traveler called Traveler 76 was released in 1976.

The problem with heat tolerant varieties is not just prolonged high heat which denatures the protein pollen, rather, it's the high humidity that clumps the pollen making it much less effective.

At one time Linda at TGS referred me to a breeder from Petoseed who was stationed on FL and looking into the clumped pollen issue. But to date I haven't seen mention of success from anywhere.
Old October 4, 2012   #11
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I have heard of Floradade.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2012   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was just going to say Floradade too. I was sent those seeds as a bonus from Heritage seeds, and they said they were bred for setting fruit in heat.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2012   #13
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/seeds.asp I just started some mater seeds from these guys.All they do from what I understand from our friend who sends us coffee beans is develope plants for high heat and disease resistance for the islands farming culture.
Thanks for the listing Kurt. We in the heat/humidity may benefit from this list.
Old October 5, 2012   #14
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Default I don't recommend Manalucie

I can't say that some don't have great luck with Manalucie, but it was very unimpressive in our 2012 garden. I planted it for the exact reason of testing it in the humid heat of summer.

It did not do as well as many of the heirloom varieties as far as surviving the heat and/or producing fruit.

This year, the two varieties that fared the best in triple digit temps were Cour di Bue (oxheart) and Ponderosa Gold. Out of 20+ varieties, those two did the best in the Georgia heat and humidity.

I too would be interested in some of the more tolerant varieties based upon personal experience.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2012   #15
Benny W5TYZ
Tomatovillian™

OK...
I have been all over the internet trying to find out something about the TEXWINE tomato. No one knows anything about it as far as having seeds....I have tried Mariseeds wihich was mentioned as a source...NADA. Non of the major seed companies have that seed...Any more suggestions? Where has any body purchased some from. I know several sources were mentioned, but...Who has actually purchased some??? I want some to try this year...

Thanks

Benny