Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 11, 2006   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default look at what I found in my garden yesterday...

cute little things...

Tumbler F2, looking quite different - round larger cherry fruit on one plant and smaller elongated cherries with pointed end on another

And I guess this little cute thing should now be considered as part of our household - she has quite a few babies in our raspberry patch...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

oh, forgot to mention - for those who are wondering how the heck I got a ripe tomato in Vancouver BC in early May... when we had some snow in March...

...these Tumblers were growing under fluo lights in my laundry room since January, and sitting in a cold frame next to the south facing wall since March... in 3 gal pots.

Might seem to be too much work to get a dozen of ripe cherry tomatoes... but I enjoyed the efforts, at least for the most part... I think...

:wink:

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #3
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Do I see a snake? Eeek! How do you pick your raspberries?
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I saw the coolest thing on my way to work:
I saw a red-tail hawk with a snake dangling
from its talons !!!
Was pretty cool ~
That snake would send my dad out of the state !!!
He's like Indiana Jones ~ lol ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Dang. A snake. I used to love snakes, until I had to work out in the boonies surveying telephone equiptment in rattlesnake country.

A couple months ago, my brother found a green rattlesnake in his back yard. I am pretty sure that it was a Green Mohave Rattler. My understanding is that they made it up to NorCal with the climate change in our area. I am really freaked out over this snake. I can't even go into the jacuzzi or pool without being paranoid (rattlers are good swimmers; that's what I read). To think, I had plans to plant tomatoes in my brother's backyard. No way.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006   #6
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hate snakes Jacques. Hate 'em!
Quote:
Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes!
Old May 12, 2006   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

Just be thankful you all, except Tim C don't have to worry about cottonmouth & copperheads. I've seen cottonmouths go after people who were not even disturbing them. Copperheads love to hide in cool damp places and under stuff. Killed my share of all three types.

Cottonmouth/water moccasin (same thing) are baaad stuff.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006   #8
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Angelique,

You have Mohave Greens up there??? I'm trying to remember what I learned when my son earned his Reptile Merit Badge, but it seems to me that those are the most poisonous of the rattlers. Just keep your jacuzzi covered. Besides, I doubt they are going to jump in the pool for some laps.
Old May 12, 2006   #9
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I stepped out of my laundry room door once & narrowly missed a 4 foot long corn snake . But I like snakes - we don't have to worry about poisonous ones here.
Old May 12, 2006   #10
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

I found one of those in my garden yesterday as well, My chow almost stepped on it. I grabbed it by the tail and put it over the fence, I didn't want my dogs getting a hold of it.

I could just imagine the husky "MOM! look what I brung you! ugh!

They don't bother me but grew up in the country so always had snakes around, Sometimes in very bad places.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb
Angelique,

You have Mohave Greens up there???
Hi Barb,

I guess so. I found the information on a random website. I was trying to ID the variety of rattlesnake for my brother.

Quote:
Just keep your jacuzzi covered.
My brother does keep the Jacuzzi covered. He has an extensive decking system set up. Per a local "snake handler", rattlesnakes are know for hiding (finding shelter under decking. I have these strange mental visions of hanging out in the jacuzzi drink margaritas, when BAM...I get bit on the hand.

Quote:
Besides, I doubt they are going to jump in the pool for some laps.
Too funny. I also read that rattlers are also very strong swimmers. My brother found the snake under a fountain about 5' away from the pool. My brother was only about two ft from the snake. He was dumping the fountain water to prevent mosquitoes from being attrached to the stagnate water.

I am especially freaked out because, I read that this snake has both a hematoxins AND a neurotoxins. At the time, my brother found this snake, he didn't have any medical insurance.

It's ironic that I now have a fear of rattlers. I grew up living about a mile from Angeles Forest. Rattlesnake sighting were very common at my JR high school and hiking at Chantry Flats. By accident, my uncle accidently brought a LIVE one into my parents house.

Blame my fear on Vemon ER (Animal Planet). When I was young, I thought that a bite could easily be cured with a couple of shots. Boy was I wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I also grew up with a neighborhood pet snake and snakes in my classroom (pythons and common local snakes). Fortunately, none of those were posionous.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote